What Spelling do U use????

I

Infight

We dont have Y in Portuguese, so in Brazil the romanization became as DjuDjutsu, sounds very similar do jyujyutsu

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Groups That Use it
Are Ju Jitsu International Federation
United States Ju Jitsu Federation
North American Ju Jitsu Federation
North American Ju Jitsu Assiation

I Belive it Started in Europe.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace
Groups That Use it
Are Ju Jitsu International Federation
United States Ju Jitsu Federation
North American Ju Jitsu Federation
North American Ju Jitsu Assiation

I Belive it Started in Europe.

Budoshin Ju Jitsu has that space in it. others like Wally Jay small circle Jujitsu leave ou the space.

It is true though, that the spelling does shange the meaning slightly.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I searched the LA Times for jujitsu and jujutsu earlier today and the results were what I've seen at other sites: No hits for the latter (correct) spelling, two hits for the former (incorrect) spelling--both allusions ("he used a form of strategic jujitsu on his (business) opponents"). The style guides must still have the older form.

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
Budoshin Ju Jitsu has that space in it. others like Wally Jay small circle Jujitsu leave ou the space.

It is true though, that the spelling does shange the meaning slightly.

I Own a Book By Wally Called Dynami Ju Jitsu
In That Book he Usees the Space Too

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a feeling that book came out earlier than the one I have. His book Small-Circle Jujitsu is spelled the way I just spelled it.

Although not technically correct, I've always liked the spelling I use. It is spelled exactly how it is pronounced "most" of the time.

Also the old masters did not speak good English and if they passed down a spelling that is not correct, no bg thing.

Who are we to correct them?

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
I have a feeling that book came out earlier than the one I have. His book Small-Circle Jujitsu is spelled the way I just spelled it.

Although not technically correct, I've always liked the spelling I use. It is spelled exactly how it is pronounced "most" of the time.

Also the old masters did not speak good English and if they passed down a spelling that is not correct, no bg thing.

Who are we to correct them?
I've Seen That Book Small Circle & u are right
It doese Spell it that Way.

Im Not Sure Which Came First
But The Hi Light of The Dynamic Book
Is wally Performing A Kani basami it's a great pic :D

T

twinkletoes

There are two "correct" romanizations of the japanese sounds. The first one would be JU JU TZU. The other one would be ZYU ZYU TU. Both of these are pronounced the same, but I've never seen either one used exactly.

I use the terms Budoshin Ju-jitsu, Small-Circle Jujitsu, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, because those are how my instructors spelled them.

Who am I to argue? :)

~TT

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by twinkletoes
There are two "correct" romanizations of the japanese sounds. The first one would be JU JU TZU. The other one would be ZYU ZYU TU. Both of these are pronounced the same, but I've never seen either one used exactly.

I use the terms Budoshin Ju-jitsu, Small-Circle Jujitsu, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, because those are how my instructors spelled them.

Who am I to argue? :)

~TT
Sounds like you have some good instructors:D

I'm a distant student of George Kirby. I haven't tested yet but I'm workin' on it. He's down south from me so he fits well in my future training.

:asian:

T

twinkletoes

akja-

I'm a distance student too! I tested for sankyu at last year's summer camp, but won't make it this year. I am hoping to find a new training partner out here in CT so I can get my butt in gear.

I have focused on BJJ for the past year, so my groundwork is getting excellent, but I need someone to help me with my throws! My hane goshi sucks!

Out of curiosity, how do you manage to train it long-distance?

Best,

~TT

Sorry to get off topic, everyone. But at least we're talking about Ju-jitsu :D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique" by Royler and Renzo Gracie et al they acknowledge that ju jutsu is correct in the modern system but say they'll retain the old spelling for historical reasons.

T

twinkletoes

Originally posted by arnisador
In "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique" by Royler and Renzo Gracie et al they acknowledge that ju jutsu is correct in the modern system but say they'll retain the old spelling for historical reasons.

Does nobody look these things up? :) Going by the romanization system that uses "j", it would be jujutzu . Yeesh.

I wish my family founded an entire revolutionary branch of a traditional art, so that I could make these claims without checking first. :D

By the way, I believe it's pronounced "Zhoooo Zheeeeetsu"

~TT

:::immediately after this post, twinkletoes was hunted down and beaten by every Gracie cousin in existance and beaten beyond recognition:::

P

progressivetactics

I use JuJitsu, as my instructor did. Our system is Shiho Karano Kenpo Jujitsu. It was explained to me when a system used the Jujutsu, it was really a very focused on throwing aspects, re-direction, etc. When it was JuJitsu, it was more along the lines of Locks, and pressure, while also encompassing passes, throws, redirections, etc.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by twinkletoes
akja-

I'm a distance student too! I tested for sankyu at last year's summer camp, but won't make it this year. I am hoping to find a new training partner out here in CT so I can get my butt in gear.

I have focused on BJJ for the past year, so my groundwork is getting excellent, but I need someone to help me with my throws! My hane goshi sucks!

Out of curiosity, how do you manage to train it long-distance?

Best,

~TT

Sorry to get off topic, everyone. But at least we're talking about Ju-jitsu :D

L.A. is is 6 hour drive, so the key tis to have someone to train with and work off of his videos. I put 3.5 years on the mat in a BJJ school so the Budoshin JJ is right on time for me.

Also Hanshi Lou Angel has put me in contact with his student who is well versed in Jujutsu, Karate, Ving Tsun, Escrima and Thai.

When you reach a certain level, the distant thing works and especially well if you can use your car and not a plane.

:asian:

T

twinkletoes

When you reach a certain level, the distant thing works and especially well if you can use your car and not a plane.

Yeah, that'd be nice. Too bad a car would take a week and a half.

At least I'm not in any hurry.......

~TT