What sets off your red flag? Spider Sense?

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From reading the other posts about listening to yourself or being aware I remembered a subjected I wanted to post.

What sets off your danger signal? What do you look out for?

A stranger asking for direction? a cigarette? the time?
A group of men huddled together?
A group of men walking toward you?
A person with a nervous eyes?
A person hiding one or both hands?
A person hiding their face with a cap?
A person hiding behind a corner?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From reading the other posts about listening to yourself or being aware I remembered a subjected I wanted to post.

I am going to venture to say that most people don't know. It just happens. There isn't any one thing and it most often is not something they consciously remember. IMO anyway.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Depending on the location, weather and time of day, all of the above

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am going to venture to say that most people don't know. It just happens. There isn't any one thing and it most often is not something they consciously remember. IMO anyway.

Although I pretty much agree here, there are definately things that can be seen in others that will give you an idea about thier demeaner. You will be able to get 'tells' on whether they are in a nervous or dominant state. If they won't make eye contact, that could be a sign.

It is true, however, that if these people are veterans at this sort of criminal activity, they may show no signs, have no 'tells'. In that sense, that little voice may be key to saving/protecting yourself.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't usually say - sometimes it's something fairly obvious, like being approached at a gas station by a man with a lit cigarette and no gas can, from a direction not visible by the attendant, asking for money (when I went in to tell the attendant, he called the police - turns out this guy had nearly set the station on fire panhandling in the past). Most often, however, it is a subconscious compilation of clues that make me nervous and I can't explain why - unless something comes of it, and I can look back and identify what made me nervous before after the fact. Even then, I can't always identify what caused it - I just pay attention to it. Better to be cautious without need, than to not be cautious when I should be.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Guys that ask "what sets off your danger signal? What do you look out for?"

Seriously... it depends on where I am, what I'm doing, who's around me? It rarely happens now-a-days to me but it's still there, just :idunno: comes up when it comes up. Different things can set it off. The things you listed, couple of guys walking down the street towards me several blocks away... I dunno man, sometimes I feel it way off sometimes right at the last second. But I do listen to it.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I pretty much agree here, there are definately things that can be seen in others that will give you an idea about thier demeaner. You will be able to get 'tells' on whether they are in a nervous or dominant state. If they won't make eye contact, that could be a sign.

I don't know if that would set off the senses, but it certainly will get my attention and cause me to be wary.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes, and anything else that might be a prelude to something untoward.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm reminded of the old saying about detecting counterfeit money: The best way to detect a fake is to be very familiar with the original. You're not looking for clues as to why something is fake -- you're instinctively familiar with what's normal, and you can accept or reject it.

It's when something just doesn't "feel" right that I sort of wake up. So I train myself to be very familiar with the normal life around me, rather than always be looking for the unusual.

It's the same feeling I use when I'm riding my motorcycle in heavy traffic. I don't watch every car and driver in the danger range -- I watch the flow of traffic, and then I can detect danger more quickly because it's not part of the normal flow.

I guess I would rather spend my time watching for "originals" and assume anything else is a "counterfeit" until proven otherwise.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any, all, or none of the above.

What triggers me to a more alert status is the back of my head doing all sorts of figuring and calculus, then coming to the conclusion that "this" isn't right. It's not the way things normally are... And if it's not normal -- there must be a reason. It's subconcious reasoning, noting probably hundreds of details and comparing them against my experience and finding that they either do match a known dangerous combination -- or don't match the known safe ones.

Let's use a simple situation as an example. A guy walks up to me, in a public area, and starts talking to me. While I'm looking at him, and listening to him, and consciously going "What the hell does this yo-yo want with me?" -- another part of me is subconsciously noting how he's dressed and whether it's right for the area and the weather (a business suit in the Shenandoah National Park is as out of place as torn jeans and a stained flannel shirt is on Wall Street...), does what he's saying make sense, is the tone and rhythm right, do I smell alchol, weed or something else, and more... All of that gets put together, and my hackles either raise or they don't.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends so much on so many things, some of which are below the conscious level. But I'll give an example that should set of huge clanging alarms:

A group of young men with no women standing around together and not talking to each other.

Fang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Someone i dont know coming up to me with a smile and laying their hands on me in any way whatsoever.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score

All of that and more.... its kind of a learned thing - actually a "re-learned" thing... go back a couple of thousand years and we were very good at recognizing danger signs and dealing with them - 'cuz if we didn't we'd have been eaten. But thanks to the process of becoming "civilized" we've learned to drop that mantel of protection.... we've been taught to be polite, not to ask embarrassing questions, not to snub someone, not to cross the street when we see someone that makes us nervous....

Listen to that little voice in your head that yells out when something doesn't seem right - look around and pay attention to your surroundings - most times when something goes bad there are signs that you aren't pahying attention to.

Gavin de Becker, who has written a number of books and runs a threat assessment consulting company, wrote a book " The Gift of Fear" that deals with this very topic - its aimed at women and children but everyone can benefit from reading it.

A better description of his book from a reviewer on Amazon.com "Perhaps we have a bad feeling about someone we've just met, or a little gnawing perception that a situation just doesn't "feel right," or perhaps even a fear that a co-worker might do something harmful. What de Becker, renowned expert on violent behavior, explains here is that instead of shrugging off these fears, we need to listen to them, see why we're having them, and act accordingly. Far from being silly intuitions, often these can truly show when something is wrong and violence might be imminent; if listened to, along with information about how violent people behave, these feelings might protect us from harm."

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score

All of the abouve. Add Thardey, JKS9199, and Fang. And if there's a minium of traffic in the area, my spidey senses really go off. And then I covertly pull a pen out of my pocket and get ready to have to use it.
Which becomes the next quesiton. What do you do to, sorta, prepare for when your danger sense goes off?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends so much on so many things, some of which are below the conscious level. But I'll give an example that should set of huge clanging alarms:
A group of young men with no women standing around together and not talking to each other.

The interesting thing about this is how it related to our older Shepherd, Papillon, back when she was just a puppy.

She's normally Ms. Canine Personality I Love Everyone And You're Next Except For The Mailman And Parcel Packing Pete. But one night when she was about six months old I took her out to do her business before putting her to bed. There was a bunch of guys exactly as described. She started bristling, barking, growling and pricking her usually floppy ears straight up. The first words out of their mouths were "Killer dog, dude!" I said something like "Heel, Fang!" When we got back inside she lay down in front at the door facing out until they went away.

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good advice and tips to consider.

Yes I am currently reading The Gift of Fear. I had this book for awhile and totally forgot about until I had to repack.

Someone asked, "What do you do when your spidey sense goes off?" I listen to my little voice which is usually get out of there.

Thanks to all who contributed. Hopefully others will benefit as well. You guys made me think of things I have not considered. The best way to know a phoney is to know the real deal. I was with a youth pastor who said the same thing to kids.

Thanks again for taking the time to contribute.:asian:

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Body language, how it changes as his & your proximity changes.
Verbal language, use of certain types of lead in questions/statements.
Suroundings, are others around your location starting to focus in on you?
Eyes, is he watching you with his "off center" vison?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Body language, how it changes as his & your proximity changes.
Verbal language, use of certain types of lead in questions/statements.
Suroundings, are others around your location starting to focus in on you?
Eyes, is he watching you with his "off center" vison?

If they want to know all about "spider sense" let them spend a few years on night shift doing bldg searchs or making traffic stops..

Latest Discussions