What MUST be taught in a Self-Defense Course?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to comment at first as I didnt want to sound disrespectful but since others have said it ill offer my opinion. Doing 1 2 hour class isn't going to teach much I mean martial artists train for years and years perfecting their techniques and moves to be able to defend themselves and learn what they know 2 hours won't be much and In all likelihood they'll have forgotten it in 2 weeks and will give them false sense of security. E.g they'll see something that could be trouble instead of just walking away some may think oh I've done self defence I can protect myself and stay around the danger which could get them hurt.
That risk is fairly easy to mitigate by discussing it realistically at the beginning of the session. That's a risk even in a 6-week series (which I've done before). They simply won't build any new habits in those few hours, but I can give them some new tools to work with.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I seriously doubt people are paying to attend a Self-Defense class to learn how to use their phone to call 911. And I'm equally sure that calling the police as you're being assaulted is going to work out well for you. Now avoidance techniques, calling out for help, rape whistles those would have been useful reccomendations.

They may indeed think they are paying for a two hour self defense class, and that it will consist of learning how to fight to protect themselves. You should know that anybody's ability to teach fighting against a determined opponent in two hours is problematic. Do you have insurance? Regardless of what you teach them you might want to consider that.

How do you plan to teach them to overcome panic? Including how to overcome it enough to use a cell phone, pull out a whistle, scream, and oh, by the way learn 5 years worth of martial arts' self defense? If part of your situational awareness is going over scenarios in their mind and what their responses would best be, would that be useful to suppress panic enough to better protect themselves?

If you don't agree, that is up to you. You are free to do as you wish.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
2 hours?
Well, I would put it in context. Stats, violence dynamics and prevention, prevention, prevention. Reading scenario (identifying exit routes in every closed spaced). Self defence concept... Already too much speaking.

So... In 2 hours? For general public?
Perhaps teach them 1 very common situation (2 max) in order to make them trust your "stuff" and find it useful. Then envite them to continue on regular classes. :)

Again, 2 hours? I don't trust very much an instructor with less than 10 years regular training... I would try to make the public like it, and if they (beginners) can 'learn' how to manage that one situation in that 2 hours, I would consider the event a success.

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am teaching a very short Self-Defense Class (2 hours) in late November and was going over my past courses' syllabus and wanted to fine tune it a bit.

What do you think MUST be taught in a quick and dirty Self-Defense seminar?

The people attending will likely have no experience in Martial Arts or Self-Defense and most likely will not be following up with any additional training either. What would you offer someone in 2 hours time that could assist them in defending themselves in the futute?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Not sure how much you can fit in 2 hours but here are a few ideas:

Prevention
Distance control
Stance
The fence
Don't fight force with force
Targets
Use of available weapons (keys, pens, purse, etc.)

Good luck and update us on how it went and what you've covered and learned in the process.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Justin, it's a difficult question to answer. You're in a situation where you'll offer the best you have to give.
Take what you know, look at some of the suggestions here, and just give them your best, honest teaching.

In the future, you might consider offering a "crime prevention and personal safety" class. It many places you can get the local police to help you in some/many ways. And that can only help you, as well as who you teach.

Keep us posted as to how it goes, bro.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
1. Not martial arts
2. Anatomically correct torso targets
3. Put a weapon in their hand
4. Create a chaotic environment
5. Have them hit, move, hit, move, hit, move
6. Have them move, hit, move, hit , move hit
7. Give them a different weapon
8. Have them hit, move, hit, move, hit move
9. Have them move, hit, move, hit, move, hit
10. Give them another weapon...

Reactions: HW1

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Not martial arts
2. Anatomically correct torso targets
3. Put a weapon in their hand
4. Create a chaotic environment
5. Have them hit, move, hit, move, hit, move
6. Have them move, hit, move, hit , move hit
7. Give them a different weapon
8. Have them hit, move, hit, move, hit move
9. Have them move, hit, move, hit, move, hit
10. Give them another weapon...
I'm not sure that's useful for a 2-hour course. They will not learn to be proficient in any one weapon, much less several, much less in a chaotic environment (which normally inhibits early learning).

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
No physical skills can be taught in only 2 hours. (I am not a MA instructor but almost 19 years as a LEO). In 2 hours however you may be able to teach warning signs, target hardening and this last bit... And I mean this from the cop end 100%

If you are fearful call 911/999. Those three things, with a 2 your block, are the best things you can teach

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am teaching a very short Self-Defense Class (2 hours) in late November and was going over my past courses' syllabus and wanted to fine tune it a bit.

What do you think MUST be taught in a quick and dirty Self-Defense seminar?

The people attending will likely have no experience in Martial Arts or Self-Defense and most likely will not be following up with any additional training either. What would you offer someone in 2 hours time that could assist them in defending themselves in the futute?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
There have been some good points brought up. I would also add that if you decide to teach situational awareness, make sure to focus in scenarios that they have a good probably running into. There are police websites that you can do some resurch to see what violent situations happen the most in your area. If you use that as a basis, what techniques and methods you should use will become more apparent.

Above all things though, show them how to de-escalate the situation so there is no longer a threat. If they get that, they will be ahead if the mark.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Chang

Justin Chang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I agree 2 hours is not very much time to get anything done correctly, hopefully if it goes well they will want to continue and make it a standard Self-Defense course. I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Call the police (by phone) looks reasonable in theory. But they need about 1 hour to arrive, if we have an opportunity to do it and if they have a "car available" (I experienced that in 3 European countries.) ... which does not look like a solution giving that. (Yet, It worked for a Brazilian girl that grabbed a thug - perhaps during one hour - until police arrive).

On the other hand, if the Police are already around the corner, they do not need a car and do not have excuses. And it worked for me. In spite of being the morning hero and arrive late (or never) to my job, I just explained to 2 cops what I was assisting (2 guys stalking and threatening a sole girl in the tube) and they moved in the right direction. :)

PS: Police are faster in the US or Canada? I had a good experience in Canada, but 1 is not statistically enough...

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Call the police (by phone) looks reasonable in theory. But they need about 1 hour to arrive, if we have an opportunity to do it and if they have a "car available" (I experienced that in 3 European countries.) ... which does not look like a solution giving that. (Yet, It worked for a Brazilian girl that grabbed a thug - perhaps during one hour - until police arrive).

On the other hand, if the Police are already around the corner, they do not need a car and do not have excuses. And it worked for me. In spite of being the morning hero and arrive late (or never) to my job, I just explained to 2 cops what I was assisting (2 guys stalking and threatening a sole girl in the tube) and they moved in the right direction. :)

PS: Police are faster in the US or Canada? I had a good experience in Canada, but 1 is not statistically enough...

I can't speak about Canada, I've never been there, only Quebec. :) :) And I never had to call the police.

Kidding aside (Actually, I found the people there to be really nice, and quite friendly.), I suspect they are like the police in most areas of the US. They will get there as soon as they can, and that will usually be measured in short minutes. Again, I don't know about other places. In the US, most people in the police profession are there because they want to help people and keep the peace. Most keep that attitude, but some may indeed become jaded. I would say they are a small minority.

But the more time they spend as a policeman, they do learn some caution, and may not run pell mell into a situation they know nothing about. Also how a caller describes a situation will play into that, as well as what else is going on at the time.

Hopefully, those who are active cops may want to comment as well.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

Depends on the community. The response time in the small city I work in, for an assault, is less than 5 minutes typically, as long as all units aren't tied up on other calls (which does happen) then we either have to free up units or ask for a neighboring agency to assist, which causes a longer delay. That is the average btw for all 50 Department's in my County.

Last edited:

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's useful for a 2-hour course. They will not learn to be proficient in any one weapon, much less several, much less in a chaotic environment (which normally inhibits early learning).

Maybe you don't think basic enough.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

Basic still needs to be of practical use and unless you are spending 2 hours on a single technique I don't see the 2 hours being enough there. Now as i said before, teaching some of the "class room" aspects, yeah but physical techniques to a neophyte? Not so much

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Basic still needs to be of practical use and unless you are spending 2 hours on a single technique I don't see the 2 hours being enough there. Now as i said before, teaching some of the "class room" aspects, yeah but physical techniques to a neophyte? Not so much

So, the assumption is what? No one asked what material would be covered, or how or what kind of weapons would be used, or what environment we would train in...but people assume they know what will or will not work. The assumptions are made based on a preconceived notion of martial arts...you don't think basic enough.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How basic do you think you can get with absolute neophytes and several weapons in 2 hours? You'll give them a 2-minute demo, hand them the weapon, and they'll have about 15 minutes to use it. That's not a useful timeframe for teaching from scratch. About all you can hope to do with physical stuff in a 2-hour class is pass along ways to use what they already know, or give an introduction to what they may want to learn later.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, the assumption is what? No one asked what material would be covered, or how or what kind of weapons would be used, or what environment we would train in...but people assume they know what will or will not work. The assumptions are made based on a preconceived notion of martial arts...you don't think basic enough.

Um no. First more than a couple of us have spoken about what we think can be taught in that block, not simply what can not.

Second a preconceived notion is an opinion formed beforehand without adequate evidence. The people commenting on what can and can not be taught adequately in a two hour block are experienced Martial Artists and fighters, some of them even Instructors with a focus on self defense. That is speaking from experience, experience is evidence ergo it is not based on a "preconceived notion" of the Martial Arts.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In terms of martial arts. How long did it take you to be able to use a technique in sparring or competition? Did you have any conditioning before learning the technique? The time that it took you to learn with training will probably take twice as long or longer. We all have seen students who have trained for years and not have the ability to do anything beyond basics.

This should give anyone a good starting point for teaching techniques in a self-defense class.

Latest Discussions