What martial arts book are you currently reading?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brazillian Juijutsu, Theory and Technique by Renzo and Royler Gracie. Its been pretty good so far :)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tan-Gun and To-San by Jhoon Rhee! Grand Master Rhee kicketh much *** :D I wish on occasion the pictures were a little better (shots of his back don't really help much when he's doing something in front of him), but this series is great. It has been a great help to lowly white belt me. When I get the chance I'll need to pick up the book by fellow 70's superstar Master Hee Il Cho. I haven't seen in in 20 plus years, but here there are great pics in it.

jim

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tan-Gun and To-San by Jhoon Rhee! Grand Master Rhee kicketh much *** :D I wish on occasion the pictures were a little better (shots of his back don't really help much when he's doing something in front of him), but this series is great. It has been a great help to lowly white belt me. When I get the chance I'll need to pick up the book by fellow 70's superstar Master Hee Il Cho. I haven't seen in in 20 plus years, but here there are great pics in it.

jim

Jim, you might be interested in taking a look at Stuart Anslow's recent book on realistic bunkai for the ITF hyungs. There's a lot of good photographic coverage of both the hyung movements themselves and also of the combat apps for those movements.

Coach Melvin

White Belt
Reaction score
The Power Of Internal Martial Arts
by Bruce Frantzis

This complete should be read by martial artists of every style. This book tells the truth about karate, judo, aikido, meditation and more.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm currently reading the "Martial Arts Book of Five Rings" and also "Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai." I've just started both but so far it's interesting.

I was very annoyed by Hagakure. It is essentially the rambling thoughts of a samurai who had never been in battle about such things as facing death. It is very much to blame for the current misconceptions about the samurai from before the Tokugawa period.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am reading at the moment Baguazhang - Emei Baguazhang by Liang Shou-Yu, Yang Jwing-Ming, and Wu Wen-Ching. An excellent discussion of this style of Bagua.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
in search of the warrior spirit.

richard heckler, an aikidoist gets invited to teach aikido to two teams of green berets.

intereting dichotomy between how the troops view him at first (freakin' hippie) and how his colleagues view his actions (traitor, bringing the art of aikido to those warmongers).

great insights on different ways of being a warrior.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just picked up "Fight" by Eugene S. Robinson...interesting, provactive, and raw. I haven't yet decided whether I like it, or think it's total nonsense, but it does make me think. It's organized--well, actually, not really organized--around pre-fight situations and how to handle them. As a rule, his answer seems to be "strike first and often" in most situations. Clearly intended as being a streetwise book.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also recently got a Balintawak book by John Russell that I want to actually write a review off as they're so rare!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just finished Living the Martial Way by Forest Morgan.

The MA book that I read previous to that was The Making of a Butterfly by Philip Starr. Sorry 'pstarr', I've shared it with a couple people and they absolutely loved it. What I'm sorry about is that they didn't buy their own copies. ;)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Essence of Ninjutsu by Hatsumi. Reading it for about the bajillionth time :)

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just finished Living the Martial Way by Forest Morgan.

That's a pretty good book. I've owned two copies of that book, & lost them both to the Lending Curse. I'm waiting for another copy from E.R. Hamilton.

Right now I'm reading Weapons & Fighting Arts of Indonesia (D. Draeger). I'm always reading that, though. It's always good. I'm also finishing Skill In Counterattacks (Pu Gill Gwon), pretty good stuff, a friend of mine & one of the only KMA guys that I respect lent it to me. I'm also reading Chin Na In Groundfighting (Al Arsenault) to supplement my watching of Dr. Jwing-Ming Yang's Chin Na In Depth series.

wushu2004

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've read American Shaolin by Matthew Polly and I really really like that book. I recommend it to anyone out there who needs a good book to read.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've read American Shaolin by Matthew Polly and I really really like that book. I recommend it to anyone out there who needs a good book to read.

Yeah, that was a good book. I loves how the crotch kung fu monk had all those girlfriends. That was great. Almost makes you want to go to Shaolin & do kickboxing. Sounded like those guys really kick butt.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually picked up Complete Krav Maga the other day, going to see if I can work my way through that :)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been reading one of the very, very early TKD textbooks, Korean Karate, by Duk Sung Son—1968, but has the feel of something from a still earlier era, an echo of the dangerous mean streets of post-liberation Seoul. Unlike S. Henry Cho's book Taekwondo: Secrets of Korean Karate, DSS's book still has the reading feel of the old dingy kwan era... grimy, street-oriented bone-breaking TKD. DSS, a `first generation' shodan in the Chung Do Kwan, is one of the early 9th dans, and anyone who is under the severe misimpression that TKD is nothing more than some flashy martial acrobatics will get a very different idea of the art from his business-like descriptions of how TKD techniques can be employed to break an attacker into itty-bitty pieces, basically... they don't make 'em like that anymore, alas!

Latest Discussions