What martial arts book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'The Library' started by arnisador, Aug 2, 2003.

1. JR 137

JR 137 Grandmaster

@_Simon_ Not sure if I’ve mentioned these (the thread is pretty long and I’m too lazy to check)...

have you read Joko Ninomiya’s books? His Sabaki Method: Karate in the Inner Circle is great from a karate strategy standpoint. He’s got an autobiography which I’ve heard is great, but I don’t know anything about it. Been meaning to pick it up, but you know how that goes.

2. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Ah awesome, thanks so much for the review :). Yeah I'll probably get them, sound like a great read. And yeah that's what I meant sorry that it was a requirement in the syllabus (which I reckon is a fantastic idea to have in there).

I also want that one too for sure! And that's so cool, and I'm big into that too, blending Zen and karate. I actually found a clip from a DVD on YouTube about it, so I contacted the dojo that filmed it a couple of years ago, very interested in the DVD. Turns out they're in the Netherlands! And it wasn't a professional production video, but filmed by one of their students, and they were more than happy to send me a copy. All they asked was that I pay shipping, and just a small donation to their dojo. It's called "Ken Zen Ichinyo" and it's really cool.

3. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Ahh he's got those... they are hard to come by at a cheap enough price haha.. also on my list

Ah awesome no I haven't read those, didn't know he had any books out, I'll for sure look into those! Cheers :)

4. JR 137

JR 137 Grandmaster

Technique and strategy-wise, Ninomiya’s Sabaki Method is by far the best book I’ve read. It’s nothing groundbreaking, but it just spoke to me the perfect way. There’s a section on basics, which isn’t anything different and nothing noteworthy for anyone who’s been taught kihon; what makes it my favorite is when he discusses angles and circling, getting to the blind spot, etc. It’s about $15 new here, so not exactly a big loss if you don’t see much in it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Ah cool appreciate that, nice to hear how others find certain texts. Will look into it for sure :) (just downloaded a bunch of Seido vids from YouTube to watch hehe. Some cool stuff out there, and inspiring to watch)

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
  7. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

8. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Reading "Karate: Technique & Spirit" by Tadashi Nakamura, really like it so far...[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. arnisador

arnisador Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I bought Matthew Polly's new Bruce Lee biography, but haven't started it yet--soon!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Xue Sheng

• Supporting Member
    A Study of Taijiquan by Sun Lutang

Classical Northern Wu Style Tai Ji Quan: The Fighting Art of the Manchurian Palace Guard by Tina Chunna Zhang

11. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

Taeguek Cipher.

12. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

• LifeTime Supporting Member
  13. Xue Sheng

• Supporting Member
    Tai Ji Qi by Stuart Alve Olson

[​IMG]

14. Blindside

Blindside Senior Master

• Founding Member
  15. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Aaaaaaaand after more than a year later I finally finished this one haha... really great read, I really love Nakamura's philosophy and approach to training in the Seido system, got alot out of it. Really hones in on the spiritual underpinnings of it all too.

Covers alot of topics: foundations and history, breathing, posture, etiquette, diet, warming up, stretching, exercises, stances, natural weapons, basic techniques, tameshiwari, kata, weapons, kumite, and ends with a fair few excerpts of his meditation lectures.

The kumite chapter is a little short but in general there was still some great all-round info and perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JR 137

JR 137 Grandmaster

It’s one of my favorites, and perhaps my favorite MA book. Again, I bought it a good 20 years before I was in Seido, so it’s not a fanboy thing.

Interesting side note:
    There’s a group picture of Seido black belts in a park. My former teacher, and his 3 former teachers are all in it. I didn’t know they came from Seido when I bought the book. It was a few months later when I saw those guys staring at me in the picture that I brought the book to my then sensei and asked about it. I knew we came from kyokushin, but didn’t know the Nakamura lineage and about his teachers following Nakamura when he left kyokushin. They left Seido a little while after the picture was taken.

Side note 2: My current teacher isn’t in the picture because he had hip replacement surgery a few days beforehand.

• Like Like x 3
  17. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Ah wow fancy that, very cool! Yeah it's cool seeing those pictures of back in the early days :)

18. IronPalmJimmy

IronPalmJimmy White Belt

"Qigong: Chinese Medicine or Pseudoscience" by Lin Zixin, Yu Li, Guo Zhengyi, Shen Zhenyu, Zhang Honglin and Zhang Tongling.

19. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Currently reading this special edition mag I've had for ages and have read before... quite a good summary of different styles and traditions. Doesn't have Uechi ryu in there for some reason, but I'm sure there are many more sub-styles it wouldn't have room to cover[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Am starting a book I got a while ago that feels as though it has been written specifically for me haha... called "The Karate Cure". Probably very much a minority population book, but very applicable to me and learning to integrate both martial arts and pelvic tension/pain is a constant struggle.

Can't wait!

Oh and still reading through my Blitz mags hehe.[​IMG][​IMG]123