what makes a sifu?

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On the contrary I found it interesting. No humor. I am sorry I will stop being so military like. Let me crack a corney joke.

Hey Si-Je why did the chicken cross the road?

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just joshin' ya. :)

Just when your partner is so much ridiculously larger than you, you tend to know right away when your doing something wrong.

And when you teeny you absolutely have to relax other wise you hurt yourself on a stronger guy. Which, makes it hard to relax because you know all this. Which makes loud talking in your head when your trying to learn new techniques in WC/WT when your head has to be quiet so you can feel, and respond properly.
Enter frustration!! ack!
The trick is making the body do what the mind knows needs to be done.

The closer I get into him the more I hunch and crunch my shoulders unconsciously, because I don't want to smack face first into his shoulder, elbow, chest or sometimes head (when I'm latching, kicking, etc.). Which, of course, I've done numeriously in the past learning new techniques, and it's not pleasant! lol!
Gotta keep the posture, or everything collapses.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Guess we are waaaaayyy off topic! lol!
But, really, I think all this silly stuff is what makes a sifu. When WC/WT is your life, love, mistress (lol!), and becomes who and what you are.
A teacher, a mentor, a lover of kung fu. It's a 24/7 lifestyle, so you BETTER have FUN doing it!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea brown belt you way off topic..

Are you familiar with the term Curl in wing chun?

Just joshin' ya. :)

Just when your partner is so much ridiculously larger than you, you tend to know right away when your doing something wrong.

And when you teeny you absolutely have to relax other wise you hurt yourself on a stronger guy. Which, makes it hard to relax because you know all this. Which makes loud talking in your head when your trying to learn new techniques in WC/WT when your head has to be quiet so you can feel, and respond properly.
Enter frustration!! ack!
The trick is making the body do what the mind knows needs to be done.

The closer I get into him the more I hunch and crunch my shoulders unconsciously, because I don't want to smack face first into his shoulder, elbow, chest or sometimes head (when I'm latching, kicking, etc.). Which, of course, I've done numeriously in the past learning new techniques, and it's not pleasant! lol!
Gotta keep the posture, or everything collapses.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Curl is how you concave your chest in. Like Yip Man and Jun Fan are doing while performing Chi Sau in my pic!

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh,.. No, I'm like crunching my shoulders into my ears like a street punk trying to box! lol!
Hubbie's been working on me flexing my spine and pushing my chest out when punching and using tan sau.
My posture is aweful!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No the Curl is how your not punching and when you punch your chest moves outward. But before you punch your chest convexes.

Pictures of Correct Body Structure the Wing Chun Curl!
bruce-lee-yip-man-b.jpg

a-kick.jpg
dvd11303.jpg

Oh,.. No, I'm like crunching my shoulders into my ears like a street punk trying to box! lol!
Hubbie's been working on me flexing my spine and pushing my chest out when punching and using tan sau.
My posture is aweful!

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bleegh?!
Lost me there. Hubbie says I'm doing it but don't know it. And, if that's so, I'm truely unconscious!
You'd have to break that down for me some more.
I do love the pictures! How'd you put html in your post like that?

Wait, I re-read that. okay. I think I see what your saying. When you punch your chest moves out with the punch. Your at a relaxed position and you extend your chest and arch(flex) your spine forward as you punch. right?

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like a snake, you curl at ready position, then arch to strike?

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure about the terminology but it sounds pretty good. If your doing it already thats fine. I had to practice. But my Sifu said my body was naturally curled too. But it took me a while to look like him. Atleast I think it did!

Bleegh?!
Lost me there. Hubbie says I'm doing it but don't know it. And, if that's so, I'm truely unconscious!
You'd have to break that down for me some more.
I do love the pictures! How'd you put html in your post like that?

Wait, I re-read that. okay. I think I see what your saying. When you punch your chest moves out with the punch. Your at a relaxed position and you extend your chest and arch(flex) your spine forward as you punch. right?

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure about the terminology but it sounds pretty good. If your doing it already thats fine. I had to practice. But my Sifu said my body was naturally curled too. But it took me a while to look like him. Atleast I think it did!

Oh, we've practiced it several times, don't get me wrong. I don't think I do it EVERYtime. And that's something I haven't even thought of in over a year. Great reminder!
That sinches it, I want a heavy bag for christmas, this is just no fun without a bag!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I don't know how strong you are but I suggest you start with atleast 100 lbs for punches. knees and finger strikes and phoenix strikes are good for 80lb and 65lb bags.
I suggest atleast 100lb bag.

If you want strong kicks too try atlease 200lbs.

When you can seen the bag flying from an inch punch your a dangerous girl!

Oh, we've practiced it several times, don't get me wrong. I don't think I do it EVERYtime. And that's something I haven't even thought of in over a year. Great reminder!
That sinches it, I want a heavy bag for christmas, this is just no fun without a bag!

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Was wanting a Muy Tai bag for the length. I don't know how heavy they are. Been wanting to work on getting more power in my hook kick, it's pretty puny right now.

I'm not familiar with that type of finger punching. But, I can move a 75 lb. bag really good with chainpunching. Too much sometimes, have to chase the bag.
I like the course textured bags, they keep you from hammering, or circling when you chainpunch. painful.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you have 75lbs bag already. Finger strikes could be like snake hand or Bil Gee strikes. Do it lightly at first so you don't jam your fingers. An then also do phoenix fist where the index finger curved inward is sticking out. The Little knuckle part. I am not sure whats it called. Also leopard strikes are good to practice on light bag. An practice punching the bag with out moving your hand back. In other words. Place your hand upagainst the bag. Only bend your wrist slightly upward then snap it back down in place. Use your stance hips and curl to hit the bag with out drawing your hand back.

Heres the killer....now do it thousand times on each hand. After about month you will have a killer punch from like no distance. At alll....lol

Was wanting a Muy Tai bag for the length. I don't know how heavy they are. Been wanting to work on getting more power in my hook kick, it's pretty puny right now.

I'm not familiar with that type of finger punching. But, I can move a 75 lb. bag really good with chainpunching. Too much sometimes, have to chase the bag.
I like the course textured bags, they keep you from hammering, or circling when you chainpunch. painful.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, your hard core!

So, do I just move my hand up and down at the wrist each time I punch, or just the first time? hitting the bag while keeping the fist in same the place just touching the bag with index finger?

Right?

How do you generate power from the hips and curl? Are you starting with the curl in a curled position and then extending your chest forward when you do the strike? Shooting hips up at the same time?

Ahhhh, many questions I have for you!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well let me start with the first drill. The First drill can be done many different ways.

I personally suggest it this way.

Start off with your left hand. Place it up against the heavy bag. Just bend the wrist up with fist angling down. Then when with a snap angle the wrist into correct posistion and fist goes into correct posistion. When you do this. Use your structure and send it through the bag. Since your hand is extended already you may want turn your chest from the curl to concave upon impact. Use the hips and Torso. How you use the hips. You send the energy up by giggling(More like a light shake from left to right) the hips slightly. It sounds funny but it works. Breath out when you hit every time. The Torso turns as you wrist snaps. Also use your elbow to send your force to bag. Elbow should be slightly bent at all times. But it should snap upon impact. shoulders and waist should rotate. Its hard to explain the rotation. But if your in a stance and you turn your body to side kinda of like that. You know you front punch and then you turn your body to side an punch in front of you but only now your shoulder is facing your opponent. Do you understand what I mean. I am not sure of your lineage terminogly so I am saying this simple as possible. My Sifu said its called parrallel punch or rotating side punch.

In my lineage its also called Side punch or Single Dragon if you fighting from a side body posistion.

Picture below. Look at Meridan Punch and Side Punch. Your body goes from Meridan to side. Imagine if your fist is on someones nose and you totally push in by just adjusting your body. I could show a guy doing this in video but I don't like his structure. An he looks totaly weak. But I hope my explanation helps. I have to leave out alot of terms cause you would have no iead what I mean

article_ritchie02_01.jpg

Yea, You can just start off touching bag an then once you do it on left hand like 100 times switch to right and do 100. Or start off with ten or fifty or what ever. Work your way up to thousand a day. Five hundred on each hand. You can do it sets of 100 and switch and keep switching hands until you get to 1000. Somepeople teach this in parts. To train different parts of your hand at a time. I think both are good. But I think you can use whole body force first that way it gets ingrained an later you can go back to breaking down each part of the arm.

For instance somepeople say just start off with the wrist alone. An bend the wrist up and down to correct posistion. Thats cool But I perfer to work out entire body when i punch. But you can break it down like that. all you are working is just the wrist. Thats cool too. It will strengthen just your wrist while punching so you can use several blows in same place over an over again with out using your body or moving your hand. But using the whole body will develop the power you want alot faster. In my humble opinion. Everyone teaches differently Are you can practice both. I do. The each have their place are effective over time. Imagine you can get your fist to someone face an maybe you hit them an stunned them again but their holding your left hand. Your right hand is free in his face. Why not bend the wrist and send nice punch back to his nose a second and third time while rotating your waist snapping the punch in his face shaking the hips and exhaling again with the fist and power going into his nose. Excellent. Remember the head only weighs 12 pounds. So if you can work up to moving a bag that is filled with sand an weighs like 80lbs imagine how you will moved their head? Hmmm I hit a eightypound bag and can send it flying up in the air. Whats going to happen to attacker Bubba when I hit him the face with this same force? Hmmm...His head only weighs 12 pounds. My Sifu often reminded me of this fact. The head only weighs 10 to 12 pounds. So build up atleast Eighty pounds of pressure in your hands so you administer deadly blows to head. Now for the body. If you want to hurt the body you have to you need a atleast 100lbs bag to atleast 200 to 300lbs. If you can acquire 300lbs or 400lbs bag. Great work your kicks. Side kick and front kick. Work your front punches. Work your palm strikes and elbow strikes. When you can move a 400lbs bag with punch or kick. Then ole drunk pervert rapist who weighs 200lbs is going feel it when you punch or kick him.

I use to do a similiar exercise that one guy spoke of on the forum with free weights. Only I would stand up. Hold my fist in palm up posistion infront of me. Like tan sau. Then extend the fist out slightly straighten the elbow an punch the fist out. I would start off with ten pound weight or 20 pound weight. I would do atleat ten on one hand and ten on the other. Moving up to 30 reps. This way that little simple torque would be stronger to where I was literally pushing out 20lbs of force. Just pushing not punching. No snap no force. I do the reps slowly. To build strenght. along with punching air and sil lim tao. My punches got stronger. One day I was training my friend in wing chun. I was demostrating Sil Lim Tao done slow and done with power at medium speed. He was like Dam it sounds like the kung fu movies. He could hear pressure in air when I punch or move into blocking patterns. He was impressed. But Then I realize i was doing something right. Because I never paid attention to sound it makes. I was demostrating two weeks to my sifu About using Side punch inside or atleast in elbow striking range. His eyes got big when I threw the punch. He just said be careful please don't kill anybody with that punch.
I told him I would never seek fights or go out looking for trouble. But if I am corner. Out comes full body power. He said thats exactly how I feel We are so much alike.

But start off doing it slow. No speed. But do generate power in your arm shoulders and waist. Concave your chest naturally. Don't force it. In time more power will build. It may hurt at first like the muscles depending on how heavy your bag is. Like 200lbs or more you going to feel it in your muscles. But after a few months. You will notice a definite increase in power. This is how you develop deadly force in your punches. For deadly force to head 100lbs bag. For deadly force to body you need 300lbs bag or 400lbs bag That way anyone who is 200lbs or less will have 100lbs or more of force going to their kidneys or spleen when you punch them their. Imagine punching a bag that is 400lbs and after six months to a year you can move it easily. Now hit a 180lb man in his diaphram or sternum with that same punch that you have condition on wall bag filled steel shots and build up with a four hundred pound heavy bag. Imagine hitting him? What is he going to be feeling. Even if your a woman?

Wow, your hard core!

So, do I just move my hand up and down at the wrist each time I punch, or just the first time? hitting the bag while keeping the fist in same the place just touching the bag with index finger?

Right?

How do you generate power from the hips and curl? Are you starting with the curl in a curled position and then extending your chest forward when you do the strike? Shooting hips up at the same time?

Ahhhh, many questions I have for you!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just now grasp the revelance of this. Wow, I have to catch things alot quicker. Yea, Wing Chun is based of Snake and Crane. So I guess that would be great reason for the curl too.

Check this scene of Jackie Chan on the wooden man I love it...

I know its off topic. Some of scenes in Rumble in the bronx look like Chan is doing wing chun....

Like a snake, you curl at ready position, then arch to strike?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions