what makes a sifu?

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the video (love the mook jong coat rack! lol!)

And definately for the description of generating power in punching.
I haven't worked alot on this, I've worked with chainpunching 75-100lb bags chainpunching, or stepping into the bag with one punch. (we extend the back when we walk into the bag and punch to generate forward force through the target on the first punch before chainpunching)

This is something I'm going to work on asap. Maybe Santa will get us a punching bag (HO! HO! it's on the list) We work with the bag at the rec. center sometimes, but it's not the same when it's YOUR bag at home.
They've got the bag shaped like a person (we call him BOB, 'cause the head bobs back and forward when you hit it like a persons head does.) But, he probably wouldn't be good for that kind of drill. (besides, people would be looking at me! lol!) And I have no idea how much he weighs.

Last time I slapped Bob around with Hubbie, the whole gym was staring at us. Hate that. Wouldn't be so bad if they would come up and talk to us and join the class, argggh! Will get a bag soon. And thanks again for the explaination, saved it on desktop, and will study that one until i get a bag and work on that for sure.
Punching power is the LAST thing anyone would expect from me, so I want it. lol!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think Century Bob will give you punching power. But it is great weapon development tool. For me the Bob is great for working on elbow strikes and bil gee techiques.

Bob trains
Eye strikes
Phoenix Eye Fist Strikes
Ginger Fist Strikes
Vertical Elbow strikes
Horizontal Elbow Strikes
Diagonal Elbow strikes
Linear Elbow strikes
Groin attack with knee or Bil Gee
Iron Finger attacks.

I would use the body for pressure point strikes too. Its really good to train your fingers so you can get to use to hitting something with resistance. I perfer palm strikes on a tree. Reason being when you reach the point to where you can slap the tree an bark flys off but your hand doesn't change color or get bruise anymore you have some strong hands. Imagine palm striking someones body and leaving an hand print on them.

Bob can definitely help with attacking percision and accuracy because it gives you real feeling of person. Especially for nose and chin attacks. Since the water or sand is at the bottom in circle container you really wont get the resistance you want from hitting bob with power. Bob will fly all over. He will move fairly easy. Which is what you don't want. The Weight at bottom is just to keep bob from sliding across the floor. But to develop punching power and kicking power you need a heavy bag filled with sand. Not water and anything else but sand.

My Sihing said he went to army surplus store bought two big duffle bags. Place two big trash bags inside them. Double the duffle bag up. Put sand inside the trash bag thats inside the duffle bag. An hung the duffle bag up on iron stand. An he kicks and punches that. He said the duffle bag weights about 100lbs but filled with sand. So you get resistance. An over time he was also able to send the bag flying. I had a friend who had 65lbs bag. I think it was filled with water. That sucker when I hit it with just inch power it would fly up an hit the wall. I hit it will full power it could hit the ceiling if the wall wasn't in the way. I had to stop hitting it force so I the walls could stop making that loud bang sound when ever the bag hit it. I hit it once into the stand an the stand legs came off the ground. That sucker was too light. I don't like the bags with water. An I wasn't even using gloves to hit the bag.

Thanks for the video (love the mook jong coat rack! lol!)

And definately for the description of generating power in punching.
I haven't worked alot on this, I've worked with chainpunching 75-100lb bags chainpunching, or stepping into the bag with one punch. (we extend the back when we walk into the bag and punch to generate forward force through the target on the first punch before chainpunching)

This is something I'm going to work on asap. Maybe Santa will get us a punching bag (HO! HO! it's on the list) We work with the bag at the rec. center sometimes, but it's not the same when it's YOUR bag at home.
They've got the bag shaped like a person (we call him BOB, 'cause the head bobs back and forward when you hit it like a persons head does.) But, he probably wouldn't be good for that kind of drill. (besides, people would be looking at me! lol!) And I have no idea how much he weighs.

Last time I slapped Bob around with Hubbie, the whole gym was staring at us. Hate that. Wouldn't be so bad if they would come up and talk to us and join the class, argggh! Will get a bag soon. And thanks again for the explaination, saved it on desktop, and will study that one until i get a bag and work on that for sure.
Punching power is the LAST thing anyone would expect from me, so I want it. lol!

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I had a wave bag once and put it in the spare bedroom. I'd chainpunch it all over the room, used it to work on stance and follow through on a "fleeing" opponent. I'd kick it and it would fall backwards (we put sand in the base) but it'd pop back up.
That was two years ago though. We haven't had a bag in a long time.
Hubbie's leg pressing 1,000 lbs again. (gulp, scarry) and I totally can't even hold the focus mits for him anymore. (hurts my wrist wicked bad!)
When you talked about 300 and 400 lb. bags, I didn't know they had them that heavy! Where do you get one?
(better question, how do you hang one up? lol!) He could use something like that.

The majority of my training in WingChun has been without the gear Hubbie had when he trained, and it shows in my power. Have to have hubbie hold the kicking pad at his chest and work on that kind of stuff. But, we don't do that for really long periods of time.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea instead of focus mitts get the muay thai kicking shields. They are thicker. You will still get a tremendous shock from your husbands kicks.
But I cant find the fourhundred lbs bags. But the 300lbs bag I found once on the net. I know they are more like custom made. But sounds like some good exercises. Accept for the wave bag. I don't like those things. No resistance. Just gives me something soft to hit. The purpose boxers hit the bags with the sand is so they can build up knock out force. The heavier the bag the deadlier your punch. Its better to have sixty five pound bag filled with sand than wavemaster if you asked me?Just my opinion....

Wow! I had a wave bag once and put it in the spare bedroom. I'd chainpunch it all over the room, used it to work on stance and follow through on a "fleeing" opponent. I'd kick it and it would fall backwards (we put sand in the base) but it'd pop back up.
That was two years ago though. We haven't had a bag in a long time.
Hubbie's leg pressing 1,000 lbs again. (gulp, scarry) and I totally can't even hold the focus mits for him anymore. (hurts my wrist wicked bad!)
When you talked about 300 and 400 lb. bags, I didn't know they had them that heavy! Where do you get one?
(better question, how do you hang one up? lol!) He could use something like that.

The majority of my training in WingChun has been without the gear Hubbie had when he trained, and it shows in my power. Have to have hubbie hold the kicking pad at his chest and work on that kind of stuff. But, we don't do that for really long periods of time.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
quote=Yoshiyahu;1085818]Yea instead of focus mitts get the muay thai kicking shields. They are thicker. You will still get a tremendous shock from your husbands kicks.
..[/quote]
It's his punches that hurt my wrists on the focus mits. I could never stand up to his kicks behind a bag! lol! I'd be airborne!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I did to make my bag more heavy was to get some sand from the hardware store it was pretty cheap , but I suppose you could also take some from the beach .

I triple bagged the sand in little plastic bags and took out all the old rags that were inside the middle of the bag and replaced this core of rags with the sand bags .

It increased the weight of the bag dramatically , but make sure you still have a good layer of rags around the core of sand because once the sand becomes compacted its like slamming your leg into concrete.

I don't really have a solution for your problem with holding the focus mitts , Yosh's suggestion about the thai pads for hubbies punching was a good one , also make sure you are not resisting his strike just let your pad holding arm go with his force .

As a last resort you could get a new hubbie , maybe one of those emo types that are so popular these days , one of their punches would be so wimpy it would be like getting slapped with a wet lettuce leaf. :uhyeah:

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lol! you make me laugh. Emo. They remind me of Goth kids with no bite. Couldn't deal with that, they couldn't handle me, I'm too mean. heheh.

I'd love to get some of the harder Muy Tai pads, love hitting those too. Hubbie punches fast, and after about the 10th or 15th punch in a couple of seconds my wrist feels like he's slowing snapping my hand right off it!
Will just let him punch the big tough muscular marine students he's picked up. ;)

Emo. :barf:

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha Ha...

Do you guys have a wall bag?

You may need the MMA focus mitts. Lol...

quote=Yoshiyahu;1085818]Yea instead of focus mitts get the muay thai kicking shields. They are thicker. You will still get a tremendous shock from your husbands kicks.
It's his punches that hurt my wrists on the focus mits. I could never stand up to his kicks behind a bag! lol! I'd be airborne![/quote]

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I did to make my bag more heavy was to get some sand from the hardware store it was pretty cheap , but I suppose you could also take some from the beach .

I triple bagged the sand in little plastic bags and took out all the old rags that were inside the middle of the bag and replaced this core of rags with the sand bags .

It increased the weight of the bag dramatically , but make sure you still have a good layer of rags around the core of sand because once the sand becomes compacted its like slamming your leg into concrete.

I don't really have a solution for your problem with holding the focus mitts , Yosh's suggestion about the thai pads for hubbies punching was a good one , also make sure you are not resisting his strike just let your pad holding arm go with his force .

As a last resort you could get a new hubbie , maybe one of those emo types that are so popular these days , one of their punches would be so wimpy it would be like getting slapped with a wet lettuce leaf. :uhyeah:
Don't take sand from the beach. It'll be wet, and it'll be filled with living stuff. Which will quickly live in your bag. Buy sterile/clean playground sand, not construction sand, if you're going to use it to fill a bag.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe Si-Je doesn't want a man she can slap around. But man that will intimatate others so when she walks down the street with her hubbie attackers would beware of attacking her while she with her hubbie. Lol...

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ewww sounds like creepy crawlies in the bag....

Don't take sand from the beach. It'll be wet, and it'll be filled with living stuff. Which will quickly live in your bag. Buy sterile/clean playground sand, not construction sand, if you're going to use it to fill a bag.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe Si-Je doesn't want a man she can slap around. But man that will intimatate others so when she walks down the street with her hubbie attackers would beware of attacking her while she with her hubbie. Lol...

That leave less work for me! lol! But really, it's me they have to watch out for. :p

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, when your a female martial artist most guys are like, "don't worry, she can handle it." And your stuck with dealing with ALL the trouble that comes along. (sometimes trouble that the guy your out with BRINGS along!)
It's a nice little vacation for me to have gigantic hubbie bebobing around to keep the dorks away.
hey, so "a wing chunner a day keeps the dorks away?" (I like that, it's a keeper.)
:angel:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hmm , I never thought about the living stuff .
Imagine that you go out to use your bag , and somethings been breeding in there , and one of those face suckers from aliens suddenly erupts out out of the bag and lodges itself on your face . aaaghhhhhh

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually on the movie Aliens they are not face suckers. You got the "Uckers" part right but their actually not sucking your face they are doing something more to your face.I give you a hint;"The word ends with uck" An then Nine Hours later a baby alien pops out your stomach!

Talk about wrong place at the wrong time.

Hmm , I never thought about the living stuff .
Imagine that you go out to use your bag , and somethings been breeding in there , and one of those face suckers from aliens suddenly erupts out out of the bag and lodges itself on your face . aaaghhhhhh

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, there's nothing like being skull ukered. lol!

Latest Discussions