What Makes A Great Teacher?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, what are some qualities that make someone a great teacher? I would think that having a good understanding of what is being taught would be first and foremost. Being able to make the material work on someone would be another.

Any other thoughts?

Mike

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
In your opinion, what are some qualities that make someone a great teacher? I would think that having a good understanding of what is being taught would be first and foremost. Being able to make the material work on someone would be another.

Any other thoughts?

Mike

Being able to get YOU to make the material work is far more important to me, but that would mean a thorough comprehension of the materal and skill LOL.

DarK LorD

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Being able to get YOU to make the material work is far more important to me,

I agree. That is certainly something at the top of the list.

but that would mean a thorough comprehension of the materal and skill LOL.

DarK LorD

Am I safe to assume that you're talking about the person that is doing the teaching to the student? If thats the case, that goes back to my original post saying that its important for the instructor to understand what is being taught.

Mike

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being able to convey your message in a way that is understandable for students. Also, having a certain level of charisma is important, in that it helps motivate students during class time.

If you speak like you are bored and would rather be doing something else,don't be surprised if that is how the students will soon feel about Kenpo.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Although I'm not a kenpoist, please bear with me...

Knowing the material and being able to demonstrate it is not enough.

Being a good teacher is requires a lot of work. In my opinion, a good teacher is not only knowledgeable, they are good communicators, they understand people, they plan ahead, they adjust when neccesary, and they constantly learn from mistakes. Becoming a good teacher may very well take the rest of one's life...and the sacrifice is worth it!

Here are a couple more important things...

A good teacher starts with a good curriculum. A curriculum that is logical and progesses from easier skills to harder skills. Every peice of this curriculum should be able to fit into a larger picture and that teacher should be able to explain and show how every single thing fits into that framework.

A good teacher needs to have passion for their subject. They need to let it flow out of them and infect students. This passion should set an example for the students, setting the bar of expectation. This passion should not be mistaken with zealotry, through. A good teacher should be open to questions and should give honest answers.

There is so much more, this is a good thread!

upnorthkyosa

ps - I would rather train with a good martial artist who is a good teacher rather then the best martial artist on the planet who is a bad teacher.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Being able to convey your message in a way that is understandable for students. Also, having a certain level of charisma is important, in that it helps motivate students during class time.

If you speak like you are bored and would rather be doing something else,don't be surprised if that is how the students will soon feel about Kenpo.

Jamie Seabrook

Another excellent point! I always tried to get into the habit of pre-planning a few ideas for the classes. Of course, depending on the ranks present and the amount of students can alter those ideas, but at least I had a few things to go off of.

Its not going to matter if you're teaching kids or adults...if the class isn't motivated, it'll be very hard to get everyone interested again.

Mike

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A great teacher both understands their material and has a passion for sharing that material. They can break down the material into accessable portions and as the student improves can refine each portion. Great teachers can prioritize what is important at each stage of learning and ignor the details which can be addressed later. A great teacher has an understanding of both the technical aspects of the material and why it is done that way. Great teachers do not say "We do it that way because my instructor said so." They can explain why their teacher taught them the way they did. Great teachers allow their students to explore but guide that exploration. Great teachers find joy in their students growth. Great teachers want their students to become better than the teacher (themselves.) Great teachers still have something to offer their students even when the student surpasses the instructor.

Jeff

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Understanding your students. Everyone learns a different way (be it audio, visual or kinestetic) and at a different pace.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
RichK said:
Understanding your students. Everyone learns a different way (be it audio, visual or kinestetic) and at a different pace.

I agree with this, and place it second in importance after thorough knowlegde of the material being taught.

When I teach, I try to tailor my "message" for each individual student's abilities and learning style, but I also try to communicate to the student what a technique "feels like" when done properly. Part of this is being able to break a technique down into segments, and get the student to feel comfortable with each segment, then put the segments together into a single motion, executed slowly at first, then gradually speeded up as muscle memory is developed.

It also helps to be able to remember when YOU first learned the technique, so that you can better empathize what the student is feeling when they are trying to learn/execute it.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RichK said:
Everyone learns a different way (be it audio, visual or kinestetic)
gotta disagree here. relative to martial arts, its AND not "or".

people may have a prefered method of learning, or a comfort zone, but that may not always be the best way to learn a martial art. for example, i recently had the opportunity to take a class with a guest instructor from china who did not speak english. someone who is predisposed to audio methods and taught within that comfort zone will have more trouble than another student who may have that same preference, but has been trained to learn experientially. similarly, visualizations are double-edged swords that can limit one's internal development...ever get confused doing a form in a different environment?

a good teacher will expand one's dimensions for learning and break down barriers.

pete

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
RichK said:

That is true, but you need to be careful trying to "please everyone" in a group class because everyone is "unique" and learns at different paces. What may seem way too fast for one person, might be just right for another.

Go at a pace that is comfortable for the majority. If someone is unhappy at that pace, he/she could try private lessons. If the person refuses to do so, and is still unhappy, oh well. Students need to know that martial arts, and kenpo in particular, is challenging.

How many people find university challenging? Bottom line - it requires a LOT of work. A university professor doesn't accomodate "Johnny" just because "Johnny" feels the lecture is moving too fast and the material is being covered to quickly. Instead he/she teaches at a pace where the majority are able to follow along.

Jamie Seabrook

B

BlackIce

Kenpo Greetings,
In my opinion a "Great Teacher" must be one who is Fair and Impartial. As the ARMY taught me "One must Lead By Example". The material covered in the studio must reflect the need of each individaul student. Remember Kenpo conforms to the individual not vice versa. In this day and age you have a different type of student mentality. You have "Recreational Martial Artists", "Fitness Martial Artists", "Sport Karate Fighters", and every now and The you get "A Kenpo Warrior". No matter what type of student they are you must try to instill in them the "Spirit of Kenpo". You can't please everyone but you can set a standard and stick to it. If you are a fulltime instructor this will be hard financially(believe me I know), but in the end you will produce some very proficient and highly respected Kenpoist.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Go at a pace that is comfortable for the majority. If someone is unhappy at that pace, he/she could try private lessons. If the person refuses to do so, and is still unhappy, oh well. Students need to know that martial arts, and kenpo in particular, is challenging.

I hope I don’t step on any toes with this post but I have to disagree with some of this statement. I am a new student in Kenpo about six months now so I can very much relate to the ultimate question that was asked “what makes a great teacher”.

In asking that question what makes a “ Great teacher” well along with all the other good points that have been listed so far I would like to add a few. One being that a “Great Teacher” would be able to see that a student or a few of the students in a group class may in fact be struggling. Since the pace of the class may not permit the instructor to stop and go over and over a tech or form a “great teacher” IMHO would take the time after class to pull me or a group of students to the side and go over what we were missing so that for one we would understand, but also I could practice that tech or form at home correctly and understand that piece of information when I returned to the next class.

The major reason this topic hits home so strong with me I am dyslexic. Some have called it a learning disability to me it just means I have to work harder than most people. I struggled badly in High School but I stuck it out and got my diploma. Even after many of my teachers blew me off and took the attitude of Oh Well. Then I had to buckle down and learn a lot of math that I had never even been exposed to on the ASVAB test to enter the Air Force. But I served four years in the USAF 95-99

Now in Kenpo I struggle with the forms (long 1) but seem to pick up the techs with little problems. I am one of those that can not just read a book or a description of a tech and then be able to perform the said moves. I need to have someone show the moves a few times explaining why, how, and so on, then perform the techs over and over with a partner. Again a “great teacher” would use that form of teaching as well as others to teach students.

Right now I just don’t have the money to take private lessons. I would absolutely take at least one a week if the money was there. But I will just have to work that much harder.

So IMHO a “Great teacher” would be patient, willing to take a few extra minutes to go over things one on one. Would use the show slowly and explain in depth and then practice a number of times in class method. But also as others have said a “great teacher” would have very a thorough understanding of the material being taught. But most of all would Never just give up on a struggling student that has good attendance and showed genuine interest in learning the material

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, the pace should be geared to the group present. For example: If this is a beginner class with beginner ranks, then the instruction is usually geared toward this. If the class is full of Brown and Black Belts, then I would imagine that the lessons would be adjusted accordingly due to the fact that the people present have already been there a while and should have a good understanding of the material. Sure there may be questions, but again, the pace is different.

If someone was still having a problem, I'd take some time either before or after the class and work with any student having difficulty. Not a private per se, but 5 or 10 min before or after can make a world of difference.

Mike

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
IMO, the pace should be geared to the group present. For example: If this is a beginner class with beginner ranks, then the instruction is usually geared toward this. If the class is full of Brown and Black Belts, then I would imagine that the lessons would be adjusted accordingly due to the fact that the people present have already been there a while and should have a good understanding of the material. Sure there may be questions, but again, the pace is different.

If someone was still having a problem, I'd take some time either before or after the class and work with any student having difficulty. Not a private per se, but 5 or 10 min before or after can make a world of difference.

Mike

I agree completely Mike. I am very patient as an instructor, but it is very difficult to please everone, particularly if you are dealing with a large group.

I teach 5:30-9:00pm, with not a minute of a break; one class ends, the next begins. The challenge there is that I don't have much "extra time" to devote to students who are struggling with material, unless they come before 5:30 or after 9pm.

But then again, I don't have many students who struggle, since I typically only teach 4 or 5 at one time! Exception: sparring class.

Jamie Seabrook

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
I agree completely Mike. I am very patient as an instructor, but it is very difficult to please everone, particularly if you are dealing with a large group.

I teach 5:30-9:00pm, with not a minute of a break; one class ends, the next begins. The challenge there is that I don't have much "extra time" to devote to students who are struggling with material, unless they come before 5:30 or after 9pm.

But then again, I don't have many students who struggle, since I typically only teach 4 or 5 at one time! Exception: sparring class.

Jamie Seabrook

I know the feeling Jamie!! We want to give everyone attention, but when you're looking at a large group, we'd definately need a longer class if we stopped to make sure that everyone was grasping the material.

Not sure if you have any other instructors to help you out, but I was lucky to have extra bodies around to get the next group started. Then again, its one thing if 1 person comes to you for extra help, but once you start getting 2, 3 or more, well, gets kinda tough.

Mike

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:

Any other thoughts?

Mike

Besides what the other posters have written, I would say that the dividing line between a good instructor and a GREAT instructor is that the great instructor can take students of average ability but above average dedication and make them great. Good teachers can only make gifted students great. I lose respect quickly for any teacher who gives all their time and energies to only the physically gifted students who will more quickly make him/her look good.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my eye's a great teacher has Humility and is Humble in there teachings. Just my nickel.
Terry