What makes a great school

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm interested in what most people on this forum see as a great school, what you look for in the school. I.E. great instructor, distance, cost, student enrollment, alot of trophy, old instructor or just new ones, tradition or the new styles, all of the above. please list in order what you believe to make up a great school. GOD BLESS AMERICA

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Getting an education and the feeling that you want to go to class, not that you should because you all ready paid.

that's just 2 for now.

S

sifu nick

I definetly agree with the comment of feeling that you want to go to class and not have to. To me a great school has great instruction. That's the main reason I would imagine that you're there for. Besides quality of instruction cost is always a factor as is the atmosphere.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I'm interested in what most people on this forum see as a great school, what you look for in the school. I.E. great instructor, distance, cost, student enrollment, alot of trophy, old instructor or just new ones, tradition or the new styles, all of the above. please list in order what you believe to make up a great school. GOD BLESS AMERICA
#1: GOOD leadership w/in the school (instructors & senior students) and from the "up-line". (association and/or instructor's instructor, associated instructors, sister-schools...etc.)

#2: Character & consistancy, without which there can be little to no 'spirit'. A clear vision of what the school and art are about and then sticking with that with integrity.

#3: Attention to detail. It goes a long way when the instructors work to make the school a place THEY would have wanted to go when they were beginning or intermediate in their journey.

#4: Ongoing progress for all, from the top down. Nothing saps energy from a school faster than a "Master" who rests on his laurels!! Nothing pumps up a school stronger than an instructor who gets down and sweats with the white belts!!!!

Just a few quick thoughts.
Your Brother
John

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother John said:
#1: GOOD leadership w/in the school (instructors & senior students) and from the "up-line". (association and/or instructor's instructor, associated instructors, sister-schools...etc.)

#2: Character & consistancy, without which there can be little to no 'spirit'. A clear vision of what the school and art are about and then sticking with that with integrity.

#3: Attention to detail. It goes a long way when the instructors work to make the school a place THEY would have wanted to go when they were beginning or intermediate in their journey.

#4: Ongoing progress for all, from the top down. Nothing saps energy from a school faster than a "Master" who rests on his laurels!! Nothing pumps up a school stronger than an instructor who gets down and sweats with the white belts!!!!

Just a few quick thoughts.
Your Brother
John
B.J.

You took all the good ones! :(...

Well said.

T

ThatWasAKick

B.B. got four for four.
The only thing I would add is the general feeling in the air that people are having fun - really enjoying being there.

mhouse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
An instructor who has a passion for MA. Not just someone who fell into teaching MA.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
The master.

A good teacher from whom you can learn is most important. The rest is simply details.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Brother John hit the major ones with his post - excellent points all. However, since the discussion is what makes a great school - i think that it extends beyond the instructor or "master".

I think you must also view the student enrollment. Since these are the folks you will be co-existing with in the school environment. Look at the belt level of the students - it should not be top heavy (especially if the school has been around a while) Look to see that there is a flow of new students coming into the school. With new students flowing into the school it allows an opportunity for all the students to review basics and keep that beginner's mind. Look at the dynamic within the school. A friendly & respectful attitude where all are happy to learn and share and really want to be there! That speaks volumes for a school!

Peace,

Donna :ultracool

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a few thoughts:

When the Instructor show's that he cares about the individual!

Not too competitive.

If it is a big Dojo, more than one instructor, or good seniors that can offer help.

If the Dojo has been around for a while, if is probably a good sign if the older (more senior) black belts are still there.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
brother john's list of 4 is most definitely on target... in fact, all of those qualities were describe in another thread describing leadership:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=271584&postcount=56

(great minds think alike, again my brother!)

so, to have a great school does the master need to be both a great instructor in order for students to learn, and a great leader for disciples to follow and continue their journeys?

seems to me that otherwise something will always be missing.

kenpo mama brings up good points relating to the student base, and outside of bad luck or perhaps economy and pricing, wouldn't those qualities (attitudes, retention of senior students, flow of new beginners, etc) be reflective of an effective leader?

pete

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
everybody else is patting Brother John on the back...and he deserves it...the only thing I really have to add is, for me, first and foremost is enjoying your style...

I have one rule in life when it comes to choosing my activities:
1) if it's not fun anymore quit doing it...

obviously, we all have to do things we don't like to do, but when it comes time to do something in your free time...like martial arts...if you're not enjoying what you are doing you won't benefit from the system nearly as much as you would if you liked it.

afterward I would say you really need to connect with your instructor..if you don't care for your instructor as a person, how much can you respect their teachings...

personally, i would put the other students last and least important...yeah you have to deal with them, but i'm in martial arts to train first...if there is someone i don't like i'm just going to ignore them and focus on my own work...i'm not a big fan of schools that are basically a "social club"...

not to say you can't make friends and socialize...my group of friends consists almost entirely of other martial arts students...however, when i'm in the gym, i'm there to work out and learn...socializing can happen before and after class...but sometimes i see way to much chatting during instead of working (i'm just as guilty at sloughing off somedays as anyone else)...the problem i have with it is that one of the benefits i get out of the martial arts is forgetting about all the pressures and stresses of life outside the gym and when you start chatting and socializing those problems creep back into your head...

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aha! Someone agrees with me. Thanks Biggie.

While many of my friends are martial artists (not all), and 99% of those martial artists are people I train with currently (minus one and you know who you are!), I go for the same reason you do. I don't really care who's there, although I must admit that I enjoy having certain people to work with (and you know who you are!). However, I can work by myself if I must, and sometimes enjoy that more because it makes me think about what I'm doing. Right now, our instructor is fulfilling what's necessary for me in terms of my training. It may not always be the case, but I'd like to think he'll be around to award me my 10th degree...:)

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me the bottom line is the quality of what is taught, and if the teacher can walk the walk and not just talk the talk. Trophies, amount of students, etc. really mean very little to me.

T

tsunami

No contracts, If your new it takes atleast three months to decide if you like the school/instructor/atmosphere.
A good number of longtime black belt students. This usually shows the instructor has something to offer in the long run. This should also mean that the instructor has all of the qualities mentioned by John's post.
An upbeat but focused class. I profoundly dislike training at any school that uses up more time slapping five than training and other uses of over the top motivational stuff. It is just a distraction from training.
An overall good vibe from fellow students who train hard and heavy but have general respect for control and do not abuse other students.

This seems like a good start. George

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Flexable is the best quality.....a school that uses the money that I pay for classes and other things (I.E. patches,tournament entry fees,etc.) Now don't get me wrong if I earn a patch i will not pay for it. Anywho thats something for another thread.

Flexablity and NON-PROFIT.......I belive a school should put all the money it earns into running it, or making it better....but of couse you gotta pay the employes just like any non-profit org.

Latest Discussions