What layout does your class follow?

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
This question is for all martial arts instructors/practitionors.

I was wondering how your class works from start to finish? What do you start with middle section and how does it end.

Now Im not talking about "special classes" just your ordinary calss layout.

Thank you too all who reply!:asian:

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Regular class layout for us varies depending on the day.

10-15 minutes of warm up and stretching
Bow in.
10 Mins working on one technique for the lower belts. Brown belts and higher we work on combinations.
On Mondays and Wednesdays we work on Sparring for about 30 mins, or forms if some of us are testing.
Tuesdays and Thursdays, we we work on SD or Sparring.
Fridays are an off day and Saturdays we work on conditioning.
We spend another 5-10 on cool down, and then we bow out.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We start with the short salutation of our style.
Then, warming-up for ±20 minutes.
After that, something that I can best describe as 'line work' follows - the instructor teaches us something and we all imitate him. It starts with one technique (usually one of the 'basics and is then elaborated on - in the end, it's often a sequence of 5-6 things.
When everyone sort of knows what to do, the group is divided in pairs and we practise on each other.
When it's almost time, we do the long salutation of our style.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good question. I like to start with some sort of warm up. footwork, rope slipping drills & evasion drills to get them started. Then focus on form or technique work, Emptyhand Forms, Weapons Forms or Drills, Pad Drills or Light Sparring depending on class format. Then finish them off with basic conditioning like Crunches & Punches, Push-Ups & cool down stretching & coaching. Some things will change depending on level of practitioner & the skills they want to work. PEACE

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
People show up a little before class. In the winter we help get our host's trailer out of the garage and someone sweeps. In the summer someone rakes the sandpit to make sure the cats, dogs and horses haven't left any little surprises.

A few minutes before the official start of class the Guru says "Is anyone else going to show up? We'll wait another couple minutes." We salute in.

Everyone does djurus for a while to warm up. In summer there might be Harimau legwork instead of or in addition. After a call for questions about the djurus or Harimau class really begins.

It goes in cycles. Sometimes it will be basics and drills. Sometimes it will be sparring. Sometimes it will be weapons work. Sometimes it will be learning new curriculum or developing an idea contained in what we learned recently.

Classes build in intensity with warm-ups at the beginning and heavy physical work at the middle or end. There's no separate time for calisthenics; we're all capable of working out on our own. The limited class time is for Silat.

There's usually no set lesson plan.

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
At my new TKD class we always start with a warm up and stretching, then some light pair work doing kicking drills. After that it's basics, solo and combination techniques moving back and forth up and down the dojang in rows.

Warm ups, kicking drills and basics are always done, but the rest of the class changes every lesson.

Sometimes it can be more basics, or teaching new combinations/techniques. Other times it can be patterns or self-defence work or one of the various types of sparring we do (points, continuous, full contact and WTF rules are the main types we practice) or weapons work or fitness/conditioning session.

Tonight the main chunk of the lesson was spent doing pad work and using the heavy bags.

After that, we usually finish with 1-2 self defence techniques (unless SD has been the main focus of the lesson) or joint locks.

There's also a cool down and further period of stretching at the end.

After class has officially finished most of the adult students stay behind to work on knife defence or stick work or some of the self defence techniques that Sah Bom Nim won't do with the children or other areas we just want to work through.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
everybody stretches & warms up on their own. then we warm up by drilling 4 or 5 techniques that we've been working on, & we change techs every couple months. the we do repetition instruction of new techniques, followed by situational sparring that emphasizes the new techniques. last half hour, everyone may do as they like. most guys spar but others approach me with questions or just drill lightly if they are coming off an injury. i try to divide the time so we get 50% groundfighting & 50% throws & takedowns.

on wednesdays we do light situational sparring for about an hour. then i'll show one or two techs that i notice the guys need from watching them spar. last half hour is up to them again.

jf

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It starts out with stretching and warm up exercises,blocking techniques with kicks then we kneel and meditate for a few minutes then work together as a group on the different gun,knife,club and grabbing techniques. It all ends with a few more minutes of meditation.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's morphed a little over the years and our class is more a club than a school.

1) Stretching

2) Sensei and another guy in the class with 40+ years in the arts show up extra early to spar. After they're done with each other, they take turns with me and the other guys and we spar for a while.

3) Class starts late because of the sparring and we bow in.

4) Bokken practice for additional warm up.

5) We always practice a couple kokyu (breath throw) techniques after bokkens.

6) Sensei leads us in whatever techniques he wants us to work on for the day.

7) Bow out.

8) We all go to Krispy Kreme for coffee & doughnuts afterwards. :D

Robyn

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. Bow in

2. Warm Ups that include stretching and tumbling

3. We vary it from there..Somedays we work on defenses against knives, clubs, guns..Pressure point strikes..This goes on for about 1/2 hour

4. The last 1/2 hr is dedicated to belt rank requirments..

5. As testing time draws near we will dedicate the entire class to rank requirments..

Latest Discussions