nunte bo

Attachments

• $nunti.jpg
    $nunti.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 293
S

shoshiman

HI everyone,

My favourite weapon is the one I am most frightened with as well. It's the Kama with Strings attached to the ends. I guess this weapon just commands R-E-S-P-E-C-T from me. The Bo comes next and Sai and Tonfa comes in a tie for third.

Peace and Respect :asian:

Shoshiman

R

RyuShiKan

This is a partial list of the Kobudo Kata we practice:

Bo Kata
1Kihon (Basic)
2Sakugawa no Kun
3Sakugawa Nidansuku
4Sakugawa Sandansaku
5Sugi no Kun
6Tsukumino no Kun

Jo Kata
7Kihon (Basic)
8Tsukumino no Kun
9Sugi no Kun
10Sakugawa no Kun
11Sakugawa Nidansuku
12Sakugawa Sandansaku

Kama Kata
13Kihon (Basic)
14Kuzushi Sho
15Kuzushi Dai

Tan Bo Kata
16Kihon (Basic)
17Kuzushi Sho
18Kuzushi Dai

Nunchaku Kata
19Kihon (Basic)
20Jyu gata Nunchaku

Eku Kata
21Kihon Matsumura
22Matsumura Dai

Tonfa kata
23Kihon Sho
24Kihon Dai
25Kuzushi Sho
26Kuzushi Dai

Chinte Kata (weapon not empty hand)
27Kihon
28Chinte no Kata

Surichin Kata
29Kihon
30Surichin no Kata

Sai Kata
31Kihon
32Kunishi no Sai
33Uhugushiku no Sai

Manji Sai Kata
34Kihon
35Manji Sai no Kata

Chizi kun bo Kata
36Kihon
37Chizi kun bo no Kata

Nunte Bo Kata
38Kihon
39Matsumura Sho
40Matsumura Dai

(basically we do about 40 kobudo kata)

C

chufeng

RSK,

Thanks!

Of those listed, the Chizi kun bo are my favorite...but I have no kata for them, per se...Maybe you can share that with Yiliquan1 on his next visit to Japan.

:asian:
chufeng

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forty! How many empty-hand kata do you have on top of that?

What are the typical lengths of the tanbo and surunchin?

I usually think of the Jo as Japanese rather than Okinawan and would use something like yonshakubo for a four-foot Okinawan weapon. Is this Okinawan Jo, or Japanese Jo that's been adopted into your system?

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by arnisador
Forty! How many empty-hand kata do you have on top of that?

14 empty hand kata on top of the kobudo.

Naihanchi Shodan
Naihanchi Nidan
Naihanchi Sandan
Tomari Seisan
Pian Shodan
Pian Nidan
Pian Sandan
Pian Yondan
Pian Godan
Passai
Kusanku
Niseshi
Shiho Hapo No Te
Shiho Hapo Miyo No Te

What are the typical lengths of the tanbo and surunchin?

The Tanbo are usually about 2 ½ feet long and the surichin is a six foot rope or chain with weighted ends.

I usually think of the Jo as Japanese rather than Okinawan and would use something like yonshakubo for a four-foot Okinawan weapon. Is this Okinawan Jo, or Japanese Jo that's been adopted into your system?

The Jo/Bo can be found in many fighting systems through out the world and is by no means strictly a Japanese weapon. The Jo we use is about 48 to 50 inches in length and tapering like a bo. Sometimes a Jo has a reverse taper, being larger at both ends. The Jo is normally manipulated with both hands; however, it is sometimes used with one hand.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks! With the jo, I meant to say that I associate the term jo with Japanese systems, whereas I associate the term bo with both Japanese and Okinawan systems. So I guess my real question is: Was the word 'jo' used in Okinawa too?

I think I recognize all the empty-hand kata, save these two:
Shiho Hapo No Te
Shiho Hapo Miyo No Te

My "karate Japanese" gets shiho as Four-step (or four-direction) and "no te" as "with hands" but that's it. Am I failing to recognize them or are these less common forms?

R

RyuShiKan

Thanks! With the jo, I meant to say that I associate the term jo with Japanese systems, whereas I associate the term bo with both Japanese and Okinawan systems. So I guess my real question is: Was the word 'jo' used in Okinawa too?

There are many Okinawan styles that use the Jo and yes they use the word “Jo” in Okinawa.

I think I recognize all the empty-hand kata, save these two:
Shiho Hapo No Te
Shiho Hapo Miyo No Te

These two kata are very rare and were taught by Mr. Wakinaguri who was a descendent of the "36 Chinese families" that were sent to Okinawa from China as envoys. He taught Taika Oyata theory about the body and how to study and develop technique. He was an expert in the art of kyusho jutsu.

My "karate Japanese" gets shiho as Four-step (or four-direction) and "no te" as "with hands" but that's it. Am I failing to recognize them or are these less common forms?

The name doesn’t translate as 4 steps or 4 directions. I won’t go into the meaning of the names in public.........sorry………long story.
Suffice it to say they have a more complex deeper meaning and much of my teacher’s fighting “theory” and “application” comes from these kata.

S

Shuri-te

For weapons, I like Sai the best. I find they most closely mimic empty hand, and with the weight, I feel like I am developing my upper body further.

But the aspect of kobudo I really like is using empty hand techniques against the bo. Empty hand kata are filled with bo disarming techniques that are really fascinating to me.

P

progressivetactics

adam, as you know I like the Modern arnis cane the best.....i thknk that is the most practical weapon out there... for traditional kobudo.....i have always been a fan of the kama......bo second.

S

Shuri-te

Arnisador:

You seemed surprised at the 40 weapons kata practiced in a RyuTe dojo.

If you think that is alot, check out this system:
http://shidokan.dimentech.com/kata.html

There are 40 bo kata alone, not to mention about 20 sai kata and 10 tonfa kata, and it goes on from there.

I don't mean to imply any criticism at this approach, but I know that for me, trying to learn so many kata would merely mean that I would do them all badly, and would not be able to be effective at many of the movements.

Latest Discussions