What is your speciality?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never named a motor. The LT1 (not the LT-1 from the 70's) and the LS series all came from the factory with compression ratios of 10:1 or more. In this case, we set it that high intentionally. Obviously a boosted engine will make more peak power with a lower static CR and higher boost, but that results in a torque curve that looks like Dolly Parton laying on her back. That's fine for racing, since you can install a loose torque converter and keep the RPM high all the time, but it would truely suck on a street driven car. So instead of a 7:1 static CR and huge boost, it was built with higher static CR to provide decent power even when not under boost, and to give us a flat torque curve. We did use a semi-loose torque converter. The stall speed is 2500RPM and the flash is 3000.

The top speed in the Jeep is very definately limited by the gear ratios. But even if the ratios were higher (numerically lower) you still would not want to go very fast in a vehicle with such a short wheelbase, high center of gravity, and a suspension designed for flexibility, not high speed cornering. Dodgeing a dog in the Jeep at even 30MPH will cause significant sphincter spasm...

Well, diving has certainly caused my wallet to get lighter, but other than that...

One of our first dives was on a very shallow reef. 24 feet max depth. There was a lot of surge too (not current - surge is the back and forth motion caused by waves). Surge moves you equal distances in each direction, so the proper way to deal with it is to ride it out when it pushes you backwards, and swim with it when it pushes you forward. Unfortunately, I was too inexperienced to do this, so I was fighting the surge. And you can never win a fight with the ocean. Between the back and forth of the surge and the exertion, I made myself seasick. Puking through a regulator is several things. It is possible. It is popular with the fish. And it is entertaining to your dive buddies. What it's not, is fun.

In the area around Tulum, Mexico there are hundreds of cenotes (sinkholes). These sinkholes are the entrances to the worlds largest underwater cave system. Dive operators in that area take basic OW certified divers into the cavern area (the area still in direct sight of sunlight, even if that sunlight is coming from a 3-4 foot hole in the ceiling) of some of these caves. There are no scuba police, but the accepted standards for these tours include things like: the guide must be full cave certified and dive full cave gear (doubles, long hose, etc); no more than 4 tourists per guide; everybody has their own light, guide in front, next most experienced diver at the rear, etc. All reputable dive ops adhere to these guidelines, but not all ops are reputable.

Coming out of Chac Mool (a very popular cenote for tourist dives) at the end of our group, I felt a tug on my fin. I stopped and looked back, wondering what I could have caught it on, and there was another diver. Seperated from his group. With no light source. And too foolish to head back to the sunlight. I checked his air (he was using his reserve, but had enough to get to the main exit with us), handed him one of my backup lights, put him in line in front of me, and we headed out. 4-5 minutes later we encountered his guide (not wearing full cave gear) and a woman coming back, looking for him. He gave me back my light, rejoined them, and they headed out. We finished our dive.

They were breaking a number of fundamental rules, not limited to the fact that it took them FAR too long to notice that he was missing.

Diving is potentially very dangerous, but if people stay within the limits of their training and experience, it's really pretty safe. The vast majority of dive accidents come down to diver error, or just plain stupidity.

Reefs are absolutely alive. The reef itself is built up by coral, which is a tiny animal. The surface layers are living coral, on top of the skeletons of the earlier generations. Sponges and such grow on the coral, and the structure of the reef provides food and shelter to all the critters. They're very fragile, and divers who crash into or kick the reef are not very well thought of. Inexperienced divers are encouraged to learn to control their bouyancy and trim, and since the reef can "bite" (fire coral and various toxic to the touch critters) most active divers will pretty quickly learn not to touch.

View attachment 16193
As I was taking this picture, I saw this womans hand come into the frame. She was fairly new, and was clearly about to touch the reef. Problem is, this particular reef is actually a rockish. Their spines are venomous. Generally their stings are quite painful, and occasionally people who are particularly sensative to the venom can be sick for weeks. I was able to grab her hand before she grabbed the rockfish. Back on the boat, she made it clear that she though I was overreacting. I showed her the picture, but she never did seem to "get it".
We don't dive with her any more. She's an accident waiting to happen.
I could not possibly comment on Dolly Parton laying on her back!!! haha I cannot think what you mean :D And but I really do like how you have set up your motor. I wish patrons here would do what you have done to take time to think about your intended use and your desired figures before bolting and fettling. To me that is certainly the mark of a seasoned expert. Likewise for not naming your machine, yay!! I do see mine as having totally WAY more male tendencies than female though. So I think of him as a him :D Perhaps.. um.. I have even told him that too lols. And have you ever rolled your Jeep? I am sure that must happen often at the angles you have those brutes, yes? On its rollcage is fine, taking a tumble down a river bank I think could be dangerous too? I hope there are never any serious rolls though. And diving is expensive? I would not have realised that. Where are the greatest expenses racked up? And oh goodness the seasickness from surges I would not even have thought of that either oh boy.. Those dive experiences some are very scary. I think drowning is probably one of my very very worst fears. I think the freediving.. is that what it is called? straight down with no equipment, that is terrifying and but awesome in its serenity and calmness. I can only imagine the constitution, lung capacity and CO2 tolerance needed for that. And your reef diving is plainly something you need a huge amount of experience of even just to come out without bites or stings. That is amazing how the whole thing is one giant organism. I did not know about the skeletal formations were previous generations of reef and new generations live symbiotically on it. Amazing photograph btw. I am sure you even need special cameras for that kind of work. Goodness you have a great wealth of experience that would be fantastic in a memoir and I think you have a super sense of humour to carry it off. I am truly grateful to be able to have read these things and thank you for sharing.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Loyalty, honesty, integrity, a good friend, a good husband, father and grand father. I would add trustworthy, a great listener, I do gossip a bit, but, am working on it. :)
I definitely treat people the way I would want to be treated.

Now I will add that I was not always like this, but with the help of my faith and Martial Arts, it has lead me down a path that has enhanced my life greatly, along with everyone around me.

If you can nail down the above in your life, all good things will come to you. And, if and when bad does appear, you won't even recognize it...

I know this may not fit into the OP, but, these are very sought after attributes that many look for, but few find...............

I know all of this because, my wife tells me so........... :), and you must know this by now, that, women are always right.......... :asian:
You do not think that might fit in with the OP? Wes that fits perfectly with the OP! :) You epitomise the perspective that I think is most healthy and conducive to the best view we can have of ourselfs. You have not said you are not an expert, nor have you said you ARE an expert. You have outlined your proficiencies which I can hear from your tone that you are content with and are content to add to. I like that.

In my personal view, if it is the mind of another to judge you as expert then that is good. And if not then that is ok too. What is important to me is being happy with our expertise whether such a label is attached to us or not. I think the term expert has a connotation of omniscience and flawlessness neither of which are human traits as you know. Yet to be comfortable with our expertise at whatever level of understanding it is I think is to value ourselfs. I think if we cannot value ourselfs for the way we are made and have been shaped then we are limiting our effectiveness in the service of another. That is my view.

And but can you be a Mr. Gossip and a Mr. Trustworthy at the same time?? :) I always like reading your thoughts though. You have a knack of reflecting back the panorama. Thank you my friend for sharing. I am grateful.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loyalty, honesty, integrity, a good friend, a good husband, father and grand father. I would add trustworthy, a great listener, I do gossip a bit, but, am working on it. :)
I definitely treat people the way I would want to be treated.

Now I will add that I was not always like this, but with the help of my faith and Martial Arts, it has lead me down a path that has enhanced my life greatly, along with everyone around me.

If you can nail down the above in your life, all good things will come to you. And, if and when bad does appear, you won't even recognize it...

I know this may not fit into the OP, but, these are very sought after attributes that many look for, but few find...............

I know all of this because, my wife tells me so........... :), and you must know this by now, that, women are always right.......... :asian:

You do not think that might fit in with the OP? Wes that fits perfectly with the OP! :) You epitomise the perspective that I think is most healthy and conducive to the best view we can have of ourselves. You have not said you are not an expert, nor have you said you ARE an expert. You have outlined your proficiencies which I can hear from your tone that you are content with and are content to add to. I like that.

In my personal view, if it is the mind of another to judge you as expert then that is good. And if not then that is ok too. What is important to me is being happy with our expertise whether such a label is attached to us or not. I think the term expert has a connotation of omniscience and flawlessness neither of which are human traits as you know. Yet to be comfortable with our expertise at whatever level of understanding it is I think is to value ourselves. I think if we cannot value ourselves for the way we are made and have been shaped then we are limiting our effectiveness in the service of another. That is my view.

And but can you be a Mr. Gossip and a Mr. Trustworthy at the same time?? :) I always like reading your thoughts though. You have a knack of reflecting back the panorama. Thank you my friend for sharing. I am grateful.

The most important part is to recognize our short comings, and to actively be involved in becoming the person we all know we need to be. This, may be the part, where being an expert might pertain to. I will work extra hard from this day forward. As always thank you for your awesome insights into life. Have a great day my friend............:)

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The most important part is to recognize our short comings, and to actively be involved in becoming the person we all know we need to be. This, may be the part, where being an expert might pertain to. I will work extra hard from this day forward. As always thank you for your awesome insights into life. Have a great day my friend............:)
That is a remarkably insightful way to put it Wes that we can be at very least expert at spotting our own expertise and also our own shortcomings and in ensuring we appreciate that there is a balance in both. I am very pleased that you have put that insight in my head. Thank you very much!!! I am very happy with that. I am grateful to have clever people here. And you know it takes a deal of courage to reveal a shortcoming in public Wes and so I would give you a big hug for that and for addressing it as you know is right. I will have a great day knowing you are doing the same :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can I ask if working with those that are addicted to drugs is more difficult if you yourself have not been addicted to drugs (excuse my assumption if that is not correct), or do you interact with these people in your primary pharmacological role? What kind of help can you offer, is it by medicating or do you yourself use talking therapies? I am very interested to hear thank you. And you are a pilot also? That is cool. I was working towards mine in a little Robinson R44 helicopter. I quickly ran out of funds though :) And have you flown around Ayers Rock or would that be too much of a trip from where you are? Where would you really like to fly? I had a flight through the Grand Canyon. I would not like to pilot there though! :) That is really cool that you do all these outdoors activities, I think Oz is surely the place for it. Your interests and expertises are very wide ranging. I like that too. I could pick any one of those and read about your exploits. How are your investments now? Are savvy (normal non-corporate) investors still making money nowadays? I think you must be expert if you are in profit with those!! :) Thank you for sharing these skills and interests, I am grateful as ever.
Working with addicts is different but not in the way most people expect. The perception is that these are people who lie cheat and steal to fuel their addiction and as such they would treat those who work with them the same way. In fact I found that by treating these guys the same way you would treat your regular patients, that is with patience, friendliness and courtesy, not to mention honesty, then your efforts were richly rewarded. I think that because a lot of people give these guys such a hard time they appreciate someone who will treat them decently. I enjoyed my time working with them and it's great when someone gets out of that life, not that it happens often. (I am reluctant to take any medication and I hate injections so it would be hard for me to use.)

As to flying around Ayers Rock (we call it Uluru these days), yes I have done that twice in our little aircraft. Last time was last July when we flew almost around the whole country. And helicopters, it costs a fortune to learn to fly those here.

Investments? Mmmm! Let's just say that the GFC was most unforgiving!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Working with addicts is different but not in the way most people expect. The perception is that these are people who lie cheat and steal to fuel their addiction and as such they would treat those who work with them the same way. In fact I found that by treating these guys the same way you would treat your regular patients, that is with patience, friendliness and courtesy, not to mention honesty, then your efforts were richly rewarded. I think that because a lot of people give these guys such a hard time they appreciate someone who will treat them decently. I enjoyed my time working with them and it's great when someone gets out of that life, not that it happens often. (I am reluctant to take any medication and I hate injections so it would be hard for me to use.)

As to flying around Ayers Rock (we call it Uluru these days), yes I have done that twice in our little aircraft. Last time was last July when we flew almost around the whole country. And helicopters, it costs a fortune to learn to fly those here.

Investments? Mmmm! Let's just say that the GFC was most unforgiving!
It is so nice to hear that you have none of the usual preconceptions when you are dealing with people who have addictions. I think drugs use is a choice for us all and but not all are strong enough to avoid what they know is not in their longterm interests. Your attitude is very noble and I am certain what you are doing is making a difference, even if for some it is not as immediate as with others. They will remember your decency. And Uluru is the Aborigine name?? I think the name is not a matter in the context of how magnificent a spectacle it must be. One day I will get there and not be so envious of you having taken your flight around it and even moreso around the whole of Australia, wow!! :) Did you make lots of stops? I remember dad used to watch a show here called the Flying Doctors, it seemed every homestead had an airfield with the disperson of the people sorry, that is not relevant, it is probably not based on reality? Which was your favourite airfield on such a big trip? And goodness, I hope you did not gamble anything you could not spare to lose on your investments! I am sure you are too prudent for that and but still, to lose anything is a kick. I think that you are still here thinking positively about investments is a testament to your fortitude and good sense :) I looked a while back at candle charts (I am sure they are very old technology now :)) and but I could not manage to tap into the market (it was a fantaasy trading thing on MSN) at all even for products I know. It is a skill you must have in good measure! I appreciate you sharing these skills and your expertise, thank you very much as ever!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And Uluru is the Aborigine name?? I think the name is not a matter in the context of how magnificent a spectacle it must be. One day I will get there and not be so envious of you having taken your flight around it and even moreso around the whole of Australia, wow!! :) Did you make lots of stops? I remember dad used to watch a show here called the Flying Doctors, it seemed every homestead had an airfield with the disperson of the people sorry, that is not relevant, it is probably not based on reality? Which was your favourite airfield on such a big trip?
Almost all the stations have their own strip and it is generally quite long (about 1200m) to accommodate the RFD aircraft. (The Flying Doctors was popular here too.) Many of those properties include tourism as part of their operation. Also all the aboriginal communities have a similar sized strip, often bitumen. They quite often also have fuel available and provide tourist accommodation. (Not all are open to visitors) Generally on a fly around you are in a different spot each night but occasionally you might stay two to take a better look around from the ground. Then of course you have the weather. When you fly VFR there is a saying, "Time to spare, go by air"! Often you end up staying longer than intended an on occasion in a location you had not previously considered. It all adds to the experience. Favorite spot ... anywhere you can safely land when the conditions turn bad!

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was going to respond sooner, but I figured I'd do it later. (Procrastination!)

if you are good at writing then I think you have a way to overcome procrastination yes? How do you manage that? What motivates you to do what you do not want to do or cannot be bothered to do? And can I ask what it is you write?

I don't really think so. Writing is really hard to do, and takes a lot of time. I usually only do a little bit at a time because I feel so drained when I start doing it. What motivates me is there isn't any other way to get it out of my head. And I write a bizarre twisted comedy, and a quasi-combination of sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural/horror, and probably a couple other things I can't remember at the moment.

And you are good at medical? In what capacity do you mean please?

I went to medical school to become on of those people you see before you see the doctor. I was one of the best in my class, and was rated as exceptional during my internship. I even had patients confide in me that I was much better compared to others that helped them before. But after that was all done, I never got job in the field, and eventually forgot everything I learned.

And listening is for sure an expertise that not everyone has and even those that think they do often listen passively and nod and think of the next question for conversational flow. You are a good listener and I think that means you listen actively and do not mind the silences in between while you let it sink in what has been said yes? :)

I don't really know. Based on a guess I'd say others are really just waiting for the moment when they can say their own opinion, or correct the other person without actually understanding the other persons point of view. I don't really do that.

And it does not sound like "not much" to me. I know how dramatic an effect just listening has to someone in distress. And I can imagine that listening through traumatic experiences is not easy for you either. Tell me how you cope yourself when friends or other people have confided those situations to you? What is your own release of those things that are confided?

I just keep working on the things I'm trying to do.

Do you have your own confidant? I think it is important that you also as listener have an outlet :) I think you are one of the angels that do these things with a heart of altruism. I think I would give you a medal for this if I could. Thank you for sharing. I am grateful.

Thank you. And I do indeed have my own confidant.

Latest Discussions