What is your governing body?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As various TKD associations splinter and reform, keeping track of which association people belong to, and which major variant of TKD they perform, gets harder and harder.

What is your governing body? Which variation of TKD (pattern/form set) do you practice? Or, if you practice more than one, what is your primary set?

I am a member of the Yomchi TKD Association, which is currently celebrating its 10 year anniversary (founded May 21, 1998). We practice the Ch'ang H'on tul set.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Tae Kwon Do, the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF). Also a member of the International Taekwondo Federation (ITF.) Moo Hak Kwon. We use ITF forms up to 1st Gup. WTF forms for 1st Dan on.

Soo Bahk Do, Moo Duk Kwan (and that is the governing body.) SBD forms, of course.

Deaf

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Though I am a member of some UK based organisations, they do not govern me (in the same sense that most orgs do).. they provide insurance (a legality in the UK), as well as rank recognition in a central database and offer courses etc.

I am also a member of IAOMAS (www.iaomas.com) but they dont govern either!

I left the ITF group I was with prior to opening my school in April, 1999 and have been that way ever since. We follow the Ch'ang Hon system of patterns.

Stuart

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are Song Moo Kwan and follow a particular lineage variant of the SMK syllabus: Kichos, then Palgwes through 1st gup, Koryo for Dan, Rohai, Empi and a number of other Shotokan/Okinawan katas thereafter. We are not officially affiliated with the KKW, though my instructor's 5th dan is KKW certified.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Tae Kwon Do, the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF). Also a member of the International Taekwondo Federation (ITF.) Moo Hak Kwon. We use ITF forms up to 1st Gup. WTF forms for 1st Dan on.

Soo Bahk Do, Moo Duk Kwan (and that is the governing body.) SBD forms, of course.

Deaf

I'm not TKD, so sorry to butt in....just wanted to make one comment. Just as clarification...I believe that the governing body that Deaf is referring to, is the "US Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation." There are also MANY MANY MANY Tang Soo Do federations and associations that have the same basic curriculum. We share many of our forms, except for two set which the USSBDFed does, but most of the TSD feds do not.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was involved in TKD I was under the WTF and KKW for most of the time. As much as I hate to admit it I was also under the ATA for a short time.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
none
Dont got one, dont want one, dont need one

ITF Forms

so sorry, and I am not trying to pee in anyone's cornflakes, but large orgs serve no purpose I can see other than taking your money.............

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kukkiwon/WTF. We are a semi-autonomous Chung Do Kwan organization (our GM's instructor is Woon Kyu Uhm).

We do the Palgue and Koryo forms.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I am confused by alot of you here, I see WTF can someone put a picture of the org. and give details what they do for you. I understand KKW, but confused about WTF all they do is govern the sport side with rule and regulation. When do they give out any sylibus or help you run your school. How did you join? How much did it cost? Show me some proof you are with the WTF beside a flg that can be bought and my GM says so. Organization are suppose to help you run your school anf give advice and when does they WTF do that. I relize I am old but Damm peole please get it right.

On the other hand all the KKW does is issue rank they do not even have a way of telling if the people being offer rank really knows anything, if you can find a 4th to sign off and pay you have a KKW certificate, plain and simple. This is what is wrong with TKD in the first place, so many that is involved in it have no clue about the structure of ot Art and how it even goes. Most school believe they have WTF certificates :rofl: , that by itself speak volumes to me. One year they issues rank and most of you here are not even old enought o have recieved it from the WTF.

I would not be upset if you say we do WTF sparring and follow the KKW poomsae's I can live with that but this is getting old when people claim to be a WTF school and follow there curriculum, when they do not have one.I will leave now for all of you to tell me I am wrong because my GM has told me otherwise, please look at those certifcates and go diectly to the WTF and ask what do you do for school owners and they will tell you nothing we govern the rules for WTF style of sparring and poomsae which is for competition only. Then take the time and go though the KKW instructor course and reallt find out what they do. Then come back with a new view on what it is you are really training in.

Sorry early on a Sunday morning and I am ready for all the feedbact telling me I am wrong. let it come with some dignity and talk about this instead of a screaming match.

Thanks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh to answer the question original Moo Doo Kwan TKD, we recieve KKW certificates and we also teach all three types of sparring Olympic, point and continous point with takedowns. Right now I belong to no certain org. and have been looking at a few that really gets behind old school TKD, you know the actual SD principle style that once was. Our school is charter of USAT and AAU as of this moment but anytime that can change since I hold none of them in regards to anything but the sport of TKD.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have ITF on our black belts, but I seriously doubt anyone in our school has ever met anyone from the ITF :lol: We do the Chang H'on forms, and trace back (too far back to have kept any of its identity, unfortunately) to the Song Moo Kwan. We do our own thing and don't really care about the body. I can only imagine what they'd think about all the Hapkido in our curriculum...

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not TKD, so sorry to butt in....just wanted to make one comment. Just as clarification...I believe that the governing body that Deaf is referring to, is the "US Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation." There are also MANY MANY MANY Tang Soo Do federations and associations that have the same basic curriculum. We share many of our forms, except for two set which the USSBDFed does, but most of the TSD feds do not.

Mbuzzy is correct (and you are not butting in at all Mbuzzy.) US Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwon Federation.

Deaf

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry early on a Sunday morning and I am ready for all the feedbact telling me I am wrong.

No, I think is a completely valid and legitimate point, Terry.

I'd guess that for at least some people, the key confusion arises because their school's curriculum is designed to be compatible with what's street-legal in WTF competition. A lot of our advanced dan forms, for example, wouldn't be. We don't care, and merrily go our own way, but I suspect that there are quite a few people who are under the misimpression that it's the WTF which mandates their colored and black belt forms syllabus, instead of it being their school director/chief instructor who designs the curriculum to teach people what they need to know in order to compete in WTF-sanctioned competitive forms (and, for quite a few of them, in WTF rules sparring as well).

But of course, that's a matter of internal school policy, nothing to do with any kind of formal governing role that the Korean sport TKD directorate has over American dojangs...

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We are part of the World Jang Song TKD Federation and we do WTF forms, sparring rules etc... We just recently went under the USA Tae Kwon Do Organisation.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As various TKD associations splinter and reform, keeping track of which association people belong to, and which major variant of TKD they perform, gets harder and harder.

What is your governing body? Which variation of TKD (pattern/form set) do you practice? Or, if you practice more than one, what is your primary set?

I am a member of the Yomchi TKD Association, which is currently celebrating its 10 year anniversary (founded May 21, 1998). We practice the Ch'ang H'on tul set.

US Chung Do Kwan Association under GM Edward Sell & Kukkiwon. We practice the Tae Guek & the KKW bb poomsae.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
none

ITF Forms

so sorry, and I am not trying to pee in anyone's cornflakes, but large orgs serve no purpose I can see other than taking your money.............

Ditto Twin Fist.

The only thing I see about the organizations that I am envious of is the community of martial arts schools. Seems nice. But I am sure it comes with its own problems.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Our school teaches Kukkiwon taekwondo using the current Taegeuk poomsae. We spar WTF style. Our curriculum has a very strong practical SD base in the adult classes with sweeps, takedowns, and some groundwork, all of which are things that GM Kim has developed for the school on his own.

Our kumdo and hapkido are the Korean Kumdo and Korean Hapkido Federations, which are essentially GM Kim's own org after he went independent.

Daniel

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
none

ITF Forms

Thanks for your input and I understand your position regarding Orgs.

However some of them can help your business aquire proper insurance that building propreitors require to allow operations to take place. One other point to consider is that an Org can provide the Credentials needed to compete in tournaments that lead up to the Olympics, if you want to offer that opportunity.

I want the best for my students, that's all .

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want the best for my students, that's all.

This line is, of course, the key. Without students, the art (whichever art you're in) will die. Only those instructors who want the best for their students will provide the art to continue to live and grow; the rest will produce students, yes... but not students who will help the art to live and grow.