What is wrong with people.....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The carriage people in NYC have been under siege for a long time by now, having to run a virtual gauntlet to do their work.
This is something they have experienced quiet a bit
[yt]afFM5D-ptqs&[/yt]

ok, these people suck, using children as their pawns.

but here comes the delicate part:
One of the drivers had a family from Newtown in the carriage the other day.
The father explained how he took his family to NY for a few days to get away from the media frenzy.

Chances are good that the families who have made similar plans could run into the above pictured behavior, jumping from the frying pan into the fire of utter insanity.

The anti carriage people had staged a demonstration inside an American Girl store because the company had offered carriage ride packages to their patrons.
One person reported that somebody had tried to snatch their child out of the carriage (it would have been his last deed had it been my child...)
So we are clearly dealing with people who are not ashamed of using children to further their agenda.

This is more of a vent really, because there is no solution.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are they protesting? I assume your animal protection people would have jumped on the carriage drivers if the horses were badly looked after? what do they think would happen to the horses if the carriages were taken off the road, would they offer them a home because I know they'd be put down if they weren't working because they aren't pets and no one could afford to keep them as such. I don't suppose to that they think of how much their antics are likely to upset the very animals they claim to be protecting.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why are they protesting? I assume your animal protection people would have jumped on the carriage drivers if the horses were badly looked after? what do they think would happen to the horses if the carriages were taken off the road, would they offer them a home because I know they'd be put down if they weren't working because they aren't pets and no one could afford to keep them as such. I don't suppose to that they think of how much their antics are likely to upset the very animals they claim to be protecting.

Radical animal rights groups - and in this case they are backed by real estate interest...

The situation in NYC is unique. The carriage industry is being overseen by 4 agencies: Health, police, ASPCA and another one I forgot.
They are required to present documentation upon request, are subject to barn inspections, have strict rules about how long and when a horse can work, including a 5 week minimum mandatory vacation away from the city. So in short, of all horse industry branches the carriage people have the highest and strictest standards anywhere.
There is a proposed bill on the table to ban the carriages and force the owners of the horses to 'donate' or sell them to approved non working homes or sanctuaries (which do not exist). 'Work' is defined in the bill as anything past pooping and sleeping.
A note here, most of these horses are drafts or draft crosses, meaning large animals, not easy on the pocket book to keep.

There is nothing wrong with these horses. They have probably the cushiest life. Walking around for a few hours is hardly work, pulling a few people when they are bred to haul huge loads. It is the principle of the matter,, and the protesters have stated time and time again, that the NYC group is only the beginning.

In one case, a horse slipped and fell. It happens.
The kicker: A licensed veterinarian found it necessary to hover over the downed horse, to video the situation, getting in the way of the driver to help his horse.
The 'lady' is a member of the group WAR: Win Animal Rights.

To them, it does not matter.
Not where the horse goes after the job had been taken away, or if they leave terrified children in their wake.

The drivers are not bad people.
And it seems they are genuinely concerned that their customers - the ones from Connecticut - could experience this ugliness on top of all the insanity and carzy they have been subjected to in the last couple of weeks.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Arrogance on the part of the "protestors". The only factor that this actually helps their "cause" is the added sensationalism. A well spoken argument gives a much more favorable impression than a profanity laced diatribe.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Arrogance on the part of the "protestors". The only factor that this actually helps their "cause" is the added sensationalism. A well spoken argument gives a much more favorable impression than a profanity laced diatribe.

It is the means to bait the drivers.
A few month back they succeeded and goated one driver until he snapped. Of course now all drivers are a vile racist/misogynist bunch...

If I had the money, I'd rig a couple of carriages with spy cams :D....

I have to add that most horses get close to 5 month off.
The carriage group has their own retirement farm, which is, oddly enough, target of sabotage from the antis. Go figure.

Last edited:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you've spoken on this subject before, Gran, and I am ashamed to say I cannot remember what it is that the 'protestors' are so het up about? What is so horrible about horses pulling carriages on scenic/tourist routes?

The protestors would be apoplectic on the Isle of Sark where cars are banned :lol:. http://www.sark.co.uk/getting-around/

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you live in NYC you have to protest something...its required for residency. :)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you've spoken on this subject before, Gran, and I am ashamed to say I cannot remember what it is that the 'protestors' are so het up about? What is so horrible about horses pulling carriages on scenic/tourist routes?

The protestors would be apoplectic on the Isle of Sark where cars are banned :lol:. http://www.sark.co.uk/getting-around/

The poor horsies are enslaved by evil people when they should be running around free on green pastures....

people who have never in their lives been close enough to a horse to understand the needs are twisting their Black Beauty/My Little Pony phantasies.

These are people who are of the believe that animals are just fur people.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you live in NYC you have to protest something...its required for residency. :)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Theyshould protest the NYPD mounted units then, too.
But like PETA not messing with the Hell's Angels, they are not going to tick off a bunch of guys with guns....

Latest Discussions