What is the worst job you've ever had?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think mine was when I was a drywall sander.. oh the aches and pains were intense after that first day.. and the mud dust.. ack.. cough sputter snort...

did a sprint as a short order cook.. and peeling taters by hand at 5 am was the pits...

How bout your worst job?

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I'll play...

Busboy at the Holiday Inn Resturant. (300 years ago)

People can be really gross with there food leavings, not to mention what I saw behind the scenes.... yuck

Some people think it's funny to leave tips in creative food products....

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
busboy.....I lasted 2 days.
Of course some days it is the job I have now. Depends on whether on not it is a talk to family members day. (Tomorrow is due to suck).

S

Shiatsu

Working in a metal shop. It was twelve hour shifts, buffing the metal outlines for boat windows and such. I had metal shavings in my nose for months. I got fired when I called in one day to have the day off to take my wife to the hospital for pneumonia. I went in the next day, and i didn't have a job anymore. :uhyeah:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does being an unpaid moderator on a martial art board count?

I have had cooking jobs and most of them were hard work, yet fine. Including the pots and pans in a dorm. At the same Dorm I had the priviledge of working with a chef. I would put an edge on blades I would use, he would come by and take my blades :( and then I would start all over. After a while he started showing me things. It really upset the full time cooks, that a student was noe his assistant.

I bounced, and that had its' good days and bad days. Yet at the time, it suited me and the time schedule allowed me to continue college.

My current job has its good times and bad times. Like when you are involved with decisions with more zeros then most people make in their life, and it affects people and their jobs and their lives.

Yet, the worst was contracting at Chrysler. There were people there who would come by and see the contract badge and yell at you for fun. They would threaten you, that they could get you fired. After a few times of handing them my badge and walking towards the door, I was able to have it out with some people on Director row. You leave me alone and I will do my job. YOu threaten me and my lawyer will call you. You first line management believes I am the best person for the job. Yet, you want to beat me and hold it over me. Next Job Please. I kept looking and found the current company I am with.

So, all said, I guess I was pretty lucky, including those nights as a bouncer, as I lived ;)

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Construction worker...a lot of it was fun but I will NEVER install fiberglass insulation again so help me...composite roofing also sucks.

2. Campus security when I was in college...my boss was a total a$$hole

T

TheRustyOne

Being everyone's bizznatch at the florist...during the Valentine's Day crunch....it's half the reason I HATE red roses! And red, white, and pink carnations, too! *twitches* During Mother's Day crunch sucks, too, but not as much as Valentine's Day. I worked at the florist for less than a year. I was told my job is done cuz i was graduating from high school.

T

TonyM.

Sanding and gilding bibles in a bindery. Eight and a half hour shifts. Thirty minute lunch break unpaid, two five minute breaks paid. Running 150lbs. of bibles on a sled under a belt sander with one arm two hours straight at a time. (my arms should look like popeyes') Terrible espre de corps and little hope for promotion.

S

Spud

Farm laborer – Picked rocks for about 2 weeks straight. Spent another week shoveling a few tons of ammonium nitrate out of one cart into another. The rest of the time was moving irrigation pipe and filling up tractors with chemicals…..

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
leasing apartments.

loved the job, but the boss was such an *** that 8 out of 13 staff members quit in a three month period because of him. the other 5 staff members didn't speak english, and therefore didn't interact with him (they reported to the head maintenence guy).

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm....

Hey Rich..... Unpaid Admin tops Unpaid Mod :rofl:

Seriously.....
Worst jobs.

5 Burker King / McDonalds - after the crap I've seen those scumbag teens pull, its a wonder I can eat there. (Note, never on Sundays.....) Though the revenge I got against a particularly annoying manager was sweet. ("Why are you late Bob?" "Cuz my ex stopped by for a few hours...and we had fun" "No seriously." "Yes" "BS, just go punch in.") :D (Note-cleaned up story.....heh)

4 Tops Markets (Supermarket) - Lets use the 2 day old brown dried up cold cuts for the deli subs to cut back on waste. And, while we're at it, lets leave the meat out on the hot wrap for hours so it spoils faster. Ugh!

3 Temp Employee - Harliquin Warehouse. The boredom, plus the vapidness of my coworkers, plus the brain-draining power of those fluff 'romance' novels just made me ill.

2 Area Supervisor - Metro (local paper) - If a carrier doesn't show, you have to deliver their stuff. Worst day was when 3 quit at once, and I spent all weekend wandering around lugging a few tons of newspapers....most destined for immediate recycling or use as bird cage liners.

And....Bobs #1 Worst Job!

Garbage Sorter. Yes, I got to dig through garbage to pull out the recyclables that folks are too lazy to presort into those nice colored boxes. I quit when one of the zombies I worked with knocked me off the top of a semi (open top trailer full of....garbage!). Only quick reaction on my part kept me from falling the 12+ feet into the construction debris below.

Y'know.....suddenly, I don't mind being under employeed. :D

G

Gary Crawford

hmm... I had two really tough ones, Landscaping 12 hrs a day for three weeks in Arkansas summer weather(hot and muggy) for an amusement park before it opened at age 15 for $2.25hr(basically shoveling rocks).The other-one winter of my AF experience spent moving ground equipment around the fightline at Loring AFB,Me in -40 degreee weather.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tess, drywall sanding most certainly bites. Got one of the worst sinus infections I've ever gotten that way. Hanging and mudding is o.k. but the sanding has gotta go.

Worst job I ever had was managing the docks at a printing company. The boss "promoted" me because I was a truck driver for the company and he figured if I knew trucks then I should know docks. The gig was up when one of my workers decided to smoke a little grass on the dock (keep in mind he's driving a forklift for a living) and I sent him home (didn't have the "authority" to fire him) and got reamed for allowing my personal prejudice for drug use to interfere with getting the job done.

I've had some the others would think really bite that I've enjoyed. Trucking is a job that I simply love. Even with the weather, traffic, restrictive regulations and the fact that more truckers die on the job each year than any other other (civilian) occupation.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had a lot of bad jobs and a lot of good jobs. To answer the question the one that I can think of would have to be:
When I was a janitor (assistant stupidvisor) for a 16 and 8 plex movie theater. There were times that I had to clean up reguritated popcorn and soda, and one ****-hole decided that it was funny to take their baby's poo-poo diapers and leave them on the seat...poo-poo side down.
What really made the job S-U-C-K was when none of the other employees (sometimes three to six) would show up for work and I had to clean up the entire theater (this includes all theaters (8-16), hallways, bathrooms, lobby, concessions and the outside if it were trashed out. Made for GREAT paychecks but ooooh I was soooo tired and tooo tired to enjoy it by Friday.
The fact that I did all of that wasn't considered or factored in when they (upper-level management ... seeking a change) fired me along with the whole crew. Cinemark Theaters needs to re-evaluate what consitutes a good loyal employee.
And NO I don't give a hoot about giving a company a bad name... not after what they did to me.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let's see, what were my worst jobs?

Executive Secretary (for a non-profit organization running a kids summer camp) fielding calls from worried parents when they found that one of the leaders the previous year molested kids. Even though the camp had new administration the year I worked, it took a lot of PR to try to reassure parents that the new management was different than the old and that new rules were instituted to protect kids and background checks were done on camp personnel. Wasn't fun.... However, having a federal agent working with us during his investigation was rather interesting.

Worked with several others for a wealthy family (with HUGE property) putting in sand and raking it smooth for the bottom of their to-be lake and helping build a gazebo on the island in the middle of their lake. They paid very well daily in cash though, so I couldn't really complain about the manual work. The negative was getting a lot of blisters and calluses from working so hard in the hot summer sun. When all is done and the lake completed, it actually was very beautiful, with flowers, trees, fish, and everything. At least they let us use their indoor swimming pools! :uhyeah:

Being a go-fer at a veteran's hospital in the supply and fiscal departments. The staff there will send me on all kinds of errands or have me do the menial stuff that they "didn't have time" or "didn't want to do".

- Ceicei

E

edhead2000

Seems I've been pretty lucky. I've only had two jobs, both of which I loved.

I worked in a child care center for 3 years -- what's better than playing all day and having naptime??

I've worked at Rite Aid for a year and a half now as a pharmacy intern. Now I get to play with drugs and laugh at people all day. And I actually get paid decently too.

R

RCastillo

My second Teaching/Coaching job back in 83-84. I knew it was a bad situation the second I signed the contract. It had great facilities, good pay, but a red neck atmosphere, even though it's in South Texas. I later found out it had a reputation for a "graveyard " for coaches that had been previously fired.

Myself, they promised to make me look good if I resigned on my own, and they didn't have to ask me twice. Later when my current employer now saw my evaluation(It was poor) vs the letter of recommendation that they'd written about me,(It was good) they knew something was rotten in Denmark. They knew I got screwed over.

However, I did learn some good coaching techniques from some people there. I always worked my butt off, but to no avail. I just didn't fit into their "so called family."

The best thing that ever happened to me! :asian: