What is the Difference

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all

Please excuse my ignorance when I ask this question....... but what is the difference between ITF and WTF??????? :idunno:

H

Hanzo04

well first off ITF was created in N.Korea and WTF is S.Korea.

ITF has 24 forms and WTF has 17 forms.

ITF's focus is self-defense over sparring competition. WTF is traditional but sparring oriented.

ITF spar's like sport karate meaning it is not continuous fighting. WTF sparring focuses on improving the payers kicks so not much blocking is done. this type of sparring is also continuous.

Tae kwon do is represented in the Olympics by WTF fighters not ITF.

Both organizations are very contreversial. The ITF has three people claiming to be the president. The WTF's former president is in prison for two years for money embezzlement.

hope this helps. contact me if you have anymore questions.

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:

ITF's focus is self-defense over sparring competition. WTF is traditional but sparring oriented.

ITF spar's like sport karate meaning it is not continuous fighting. WTF sparring focuses on improving the payers kicks so not much blocking is done. this type of sparring is also continuous.

Both organizations are very contreversial. The ITF has three people claiming to be the president. The WTF's former president is in prison for two years for money embezzlement.

hope this helps. contact me if you have anymore questions.
Why isnt ITF represented in the Olympics????? Is it to do with the politics of it all???

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Raisin said:
Why isnt ITF represented in the Olympics????? Is it to do with the politics of it all???
Or is it because the sparring is different and the Olympics only have one set of rules???

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
I don't think anyone should say that any organization is more competition based than the other. I'm a good example of that. My school is WTF. Our sparring allows full contact, and we train with kicks and punches to the head occasionally.

Another school down the road is ITF. At one of their demos, they said "We don't do continuous sparring. When you do that, things can get aggressive, and it becomes dangerous." So what sparring do they do? That's right. Light contact point sparring.

Is that the ITF as a whole? Probably not. Is my school WTF as a whole? Probably not. But to say that "This organization does this" is making a sweeping generalization, and can often end up with your foot in your mouth. (Something people can do after strong flexibility training through TKD)

T

Tkang_TKD

Just an opinion on my part, but I think the WTF style continuous sparring is an olympic event because of it's sometimes flashy nature, and full contact. I think that point sparring is relatively boring to watch in comparison. Please note that this is MY opinion. It's not based on any kind of fact.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:

The ITF developed after Gen Choi had to leave S Korea rather abbruptly. The WTF came into being shortly after. Up til the disaster a little while back, it's not been known as a North Korean invention, art, or orginization.

The ITF form set tends to be closer to TKD's shotokan roots as well. (Whether this is good, bad or netural is up to the practitioner.)

It can be. There's plenty of drift from one ITF school to the next.

ITF spar's like sport karate meaning it is not continuous fighting.

This depends. Generally, the ITF as it presents itself in internation competition, uses continous sparring, but with hand and foot protection rather than hogus. Lighter contact is encouraged due to the less restricted targeting rules. (Though this tends to be a laxly enforced rule in international competition.) One of the ITF orgs has adopted the use of hogue and spars very WTF style now however so none of that's chiseled in stone.

Neat bit of political wrangling behind that. Didn't the olympics change that Kukkikwan fueled restriction recently though?

Both organizations are very contreversial. The ITF has three people claiming to be the president.

Not quite. There are actually three seperate orgs all claiming to be the true ITF.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ITF has an I before the TF and WTF has a W before the TF. That's the only thing you can say that is different in every case. You can't judge a school based on their organization. I train at a WTF school but, we are very loosely associated.

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope I dont start any arguements on this thread as I genuinely wanted to know. Only having done MA for only a year and a half now, our dojo is a basis for TKD. I think we use the ITF forms but everything else is mixed. Since Ive started and have discovered this Forum there are so many things I dont know about and want to learn.

I acutally thought that TKD was just one big organisation all around the world that had the same practise's, but after reading all the posts on this forum and reading all the negatives and positives about WTF and ITF, I still dont understand!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:
I hope I dont start any arguements on this thread as I genuinely wanted to know. Only having done MA for only a year and a half now, our dojo is a basis for TKD. I think we use the ITF forms but everything else is mixed. Since Ive started and have discovered this Forum there are so many things I dont know about and want to learn.

I acutally thought that TKD was just one big organisation all around the world that had the same practise's, but after reading all the posts on this forum and reading all the negatives and positives about WTF and ITF, I still dont understand!!!
Over the years I have felt like you, then one day I wroke up and relise that I love the Art not the organizations. We do both ITF and WTF tournaments we teach both styles, have no commitment to anyone org. or the other. As long as I am learning and developing my inner self that is what make me tick everyday. Inner peace of one self is what makes the Art flourish only a small portion of MA'ers thinks organization make the Art, when in fact it's the Art that make the organization.. Hope this insight helps you in your endevours... GOD BLESS AMERICA

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

terryl965 said:
Over the years I have felt like you, then one day I wroke up and relise that I love the Art not the organizations. We do both ITF and WTF tournaments we teach both styles, have no commitment to anyone org. or the other. As long as I am learning and developing my inner self that is what make me tick everyday. Inner peace of one self is what makes the Art flourish only a small portion of MA'ers thinks organization make the Art, when in fact it's the Art that make the organization.. Hope this insight helps you in your endevours... GOD BLESS AMERICA
Great point, Terry!

I get sick and tired over this orginization is better that that. It is understandable that people will have loyalties and pride with each. It's just human nature. I never bad-mouth an org. I have no need to and it would be considered ignorant to do so. However, I will speak ill of an individual school/instructor, but only after having information on them. There is a TKD school not very far from me that I decided to visit. Just so happened that they were holding a tourney. There was certificates on the wall that pertained to the owner's rank. and I had heard him introduced as "Self-proclaimed Master..." Self-proclaimed??:rpo: I guess I could open right next to him and claim the same thing, pffft! Please! As if that wasn't enough, the cirriculum was outragous for most of the students. I mean, they were tougher than what the United States Marines are required to pass bootcamp. We're talking about kids here. This is not healthy for their bodies, this sort of exercising.
Point being here; just because one school is of lower quality does not mean the orginization is.

T

the_kicking_fiend

similar things are different, different things are the same

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I totally agree with that. Im not really into the politics of it all, I just want to learn as much as I can. It was just interesting to know what the backgrounds were.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
They actually have very similar backgrounds, just 2 seperate paths from there. They have different form sets and they are basically the same other than that. The WTF is more accepted, probably because of it being in S. Korea, which is more Democratic and preferred by the rest of the world. Knowledge of these things is good because it helps you to realize how rediculous it can be and how helpful it can be. so keep asking questions.

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thanks for that Han-Mi!! Have you ever tried ITF???

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
They actually have very similar backgrounds, just 2 seperate paths from there. They have different form sets and they are basically the same other than that. The WTF is more accepted, probably because of it being in S. Korea, which is more Democratic and preferred by the rest of the world. Knowledge of these things is good because it helps you to realize how rediculous it can be and how helpful it can be. so keep asking questions.

Why do you keep saying that ITF is N Korean? (It's not.)

Latest Discussions