What is the "Correct" length of the Shaft

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He's one bad mother... Shut yo' mouth, I'm talking 'bout a Naginata Shaft!

Ok, seriously... what is the "traditional" or "correct" Length for the Staff portion of a Naginata? I have seen different lengths discussed online and I was just wondering if there is a standard size or range of sizes that would be correct.

Thanks!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Cryo...

Well, as always, it depends on which Ryu you're talking about... but as you've put this in the Ninjutsu forum, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that you're referring to the Kukishinden Ryu one, yeah?

I'm sure you've seen Hatsumi Sensei's DVD on Naginata, Nagamaki, Bisento, which is quite a good one, but it doesn't really help here, as there is quite a variety of weapons used by Hatsumi and the various other instructors throughout the video. This is of course due to the Bujinkan not being Koryu, and more about the free expression that Hatsumi favours, extending through to a variety of weapons being used, with different dimensions and so on. Which is, of course, all good.

But if you want to get into the proper dimensions for Kukishinden Ryu naginata, the overall length is 225cm (90 inches), with a blade length of 21 cm (8 inches), giving a haft (rather than shaft) length of 204cm (82 inches). Other Ryu are different, though, there really isn't a universal "this is the length for a naginata haft" rule.

Jameswhelan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
...as you've put this in the Ninjutsu forum, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that you're referring to the Kukishinden Ryu one, yeah?...

...the proper dimensions for Kukishinden Ryu naginata, the overall length is 225cm (90 inches), with a blade length of 21 cm (8 inches), giving a haft (rather than shaft) length of 204cm (82 inches).

It is a mistake to assume that information about Kukishin ryu and Kukishinden Tenshin Hyoho from shinjin.co.jp also applies to Kukishinden Happo Biken.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed, however the connection between Takamatsu's research and assistance in Kukishinden Tenshin Hyoho's Naginatajutsu would imply that there is a large connection there... unless you have different measurements?

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, Kukishinden Ryu. Thanks!

Jameswhelan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
...the connection between Takamatsu's research and assistance in Kukishinden Tenshin Hyoho's Naginatajutsu would imply that there is a large connection...
It would not, by necessity, imply that (even were it true - Kukishinden Happo Biken naginatajutsu is unrelated to Kukishinden Tenshin Hyoho naginatajutsu).

unless you have different measurements?
Unless has nothing to do with it but for the sake of illustrating a point, let's just say that I don't know the prescribed dimensions for naginatas in Kukishinden Happo Biken, so am therefore disqualified from comment.

Latest Discussions