What is Krav Maga like?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Krav Maga is highly effective self-defense ( self-defense) with direct attack techniques without frills or nonsense ( unnecessary ) techniques. Also the generic term of combat systems of the Israeli armed forces, and various civilian self-defense systems.To be able to use in official and civilian field techniques have been modified and adapted to teach police and civilians ( self-defense , etc. )
Also offers the Krav Maga by a good workout the opportunity to increase his physical and mental fitness.
see more at www.krav-maga.us or checkout videos on you tube there are a lot of them outhere ....
What is unnecessary?
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Krav Maga also has a lot of finer movements that can't just be picked up. And you can't learn Krav Maga over the course of two weekends, sorry.

I don't know who's propagating BJJ under the name of Krav Maga, but Krav Maga HAS NO GRAPPLING! He takes you to the ground? Gouge eyes, bite, spit, punch, pull hair... no wristlocks, armbars or pins.
I think a black belt could get the gist in a few weeks.
Sean

Crossracer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Old topic. But I teach CKM and what I teach is by it's very nature easy to remember. A person with a black belt is all ready inclined to remember movements and defenses.
I enjoy it a lot, it's a great set of skills to have in your tool box. But like anything, you need to practice it from time to time to keep them semi fresh.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Old topic. But I teach CKM and what I teach is by it's very nature easy to remember. A person with a black belt is all ready inclined to remember movements and defenses.
I enjoy it a lot, it's a great set of skills to have in your tool box. But like anything, you need to practice it from time to time to keep them semi fresh.

Bill

Do you think it bears any similarities to wing chun? I mean, from what I have seen, it looks like wing chun without any focus on forms or centerline theory. What they share in common is the lack of any flowery, useless movements and brutal speed/efficiency.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you think it bears any similarities to wing chun? I mean, from what I have seen, it looks like wing chun without any focus on forms or centerline theory. What they share in common is the lack of any flowery, useless movements and brutal speed/efficiency.
To be honest I don't think it has much at all in common with wing chun. The WC I have seen had deep stances and none of the techniques of KM. Things like the 360 defence and helmet blocking don't happen in any other traditional styles I have seen either. There are a number of similarities with karate and Muay Thai and at a higher level jujutsu starts to be part of it as well. And, there is an element of BJJ in the mix as well, though not the take down and control component.
:asian:

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest I don't think it has much at all in common with wing chun. The WC I have seen had deep stances and none of the techniques of KM. Things like the 360 defence and helmet blocking don't happen in any other traditional styles I have seen either. There are a number of similarities with karate and Muay Thai and at a higher level jujutsu starts to be part of it as well. And, there is an element of BJJ in the mix as well, though not the take down and control component.

I don't know what lineage of wing chun you have seen, but in my experience our stances are higher than most styles. The reasoning is quite simple: hands are used to attack the opponent from the waist up, feet are used to attack from the waist down, so we wouldn't want to get into a deep stance which would take our hands AWAY from their target area. However, there is one exception: the pole form has deep stances that resemble the low horse stance from other styles.

Crossracer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My teaching focuses on good balance, and simple techniques done well. I try to make it very simple because trying to do complex movements in a high stress moment is a high failure result.
I'm always looking for new or better ways to teach .

Bill

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know what lineage of wing chun you have seen, but in my experience our stances are higher than most styles. The reasoning is quite simple: hands are used to attack the opponent from the waist up, feet are used to attack from the waist down, so we wouldn't want to get into a deep stance which would take our hands AWAY from their target area. However, there is one exception: the pole form has deep stances that resemble the low horse stance from other styles.
Krav has a natural fighting stance similar to a boxers stance. It also tends to be left or right side rather than both sides although you will find that trained martial artists will switch their stance. In my experience, and I have not studied WC, WC puts a lot of emphasis on 'rooting' and correct formal foot position. KM does none of that and in fact really promotes the opposite.

TeenTendo

White Belt
Reaction score
krav maga relies on a person's natural instincts and reflexes for self-defense. Awareness and mental conditioning are integral to krav maga training. Krav maga's philosophy is never to do more than necessary, but to react with speed, economy of motion, and the appropriate measure of force.krav maga emphasizes that there are no rules on the street. If a situation is dire, the defender must do whatever is necessary to overcome the threat. This may include multiple strikes to the groin, throat, and kidneys, a finger planted into an eye, shouting into an attacker's ear, or a head butt or a bite to the neck. Because of this philosophy, krav maga is not suited for tournaments and must be practiced under controlled conditions.Krav maga uses the concept of "continuous motion" to complete a defense. Krav maga uses the same building blocks from the simplest defenses to the most advanced techniques including empty-handed defenses and disarms against bladed weapons, firearms, hand grenades, and even rocks.

smiller2144

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Krav Maga is a trap, its dirty boxing, thats it, nothing special, and its not as great as it seems, I'm telling you from experience. However against someone who does not know any martial arts, or a ameture boxer/kickboxer, it can be extremely effective.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Krav Maga is a trap, its dirty boxing, thats it, nothing special, and its not as great as it seems, I'm telling you from experience. However against someone who does not know any martial arts, or a ameture boxer/kickboxer, it can be extremely effective.
Hmm! Krav has different levels and is very interesting. Might I suggest that you look at a different school if the one you saw had nothing special.

smiller2144

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hmm! Krav has different levels and is very interesting. Might I suggest that you look at a different school if the one you saw had nothing special.

I may do, there is only one near me though. But yeah it was very strange and all they did was boxing and eye gouging. I'd rather stick to BJJ an Muay Thai personally.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I may do, there is only one near me though. But yeah it was very strange and all they did was boxing and eye gouging. I'd rather stick to BJJ an Muay Thai personally.
Well last week we worked on escaping every choke you could dream up, we did combination punching on the pads, fighting from the ground, 360 defence against blunt weapons and knives and developing more power in your strikes. We always finish off with about 10 minutes defence against the knife. Next week will be firearm disarms using a variety of weapons from sawn off shotgun to rifle and AK47, plus of course handguns. It's about time we revisited multiple attackers and we might look at escaping from various positions on the ground. We'll probably work on a few restraining techniques as well and discuss the legal aspects of each situation. That should keep my guys going for another week. ;)

Certainly eye gouging is part and parcel of Krav but we don't dwell on it.

smiller2144

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well last week we worked on escaping every choke you could dream up, we did combination punching on the pads, fighting from the ground, 360 defence against blunt weapons and knives and developing more power in your strikes. We always finish off with about 10 minutes defence against the knife. Next week will be firearm disarms using a variety of weapons from sawn off shotgun to rifle and AK47, plus of course handguns. It's about time we revisited multiple attackers and we might look at escaping from various positions on the ground. We'll probably work on a few restraining techniques as well and discuss the legal aspects of each situation. That should keep my guys going for another week. ;)

Certainly eye gouging is part and parcel of Krav but we don't dwell on it.

That sounds quite interesting, say is there a belt system at your krav maga?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That sounds quite interesting, say is there a belt system at your krav maga?
Yes there is, but the guys aren't particularly interested in belts or ranks. We only wear belts when we join with other schools for joint training.

Latest Discussions