Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tim Hartman said:
Remy died August 28, 2001.

Hi Mr Hartman,

Did you actually read this thread before you posted?

Also, we do have a handy "search" feature like I used to find posts as well.

Here are three threads to show that I know the date of GM Presas' passing:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16942&highlight=Remy+Presas
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15645&highlight=Remy+Presas
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26027&highlight=Remy+Presas

Though, I didn't know Remy as long as you, his passing did affect me deeply as well as. As a result, one of the little things I do as a mod is to make sure it remembered on this forum yearly.

Best regards,

Harold

James Miller

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Hi Mr Hartman,

Did you actually read this thread before you posted?

Also, we do have a handy "search" feature like I used to find posts as well.

Here are three threads to show that I know the date of GM Presas' passing:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16942&highlight=Remy+Presas
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15645&highlight=Remy+Presas
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26027&highlight=Remy+Presas

Though, I didn't know Remy as long as you, his passing did affect me deeply as well as. As a result, one of the little things I do as a mod is to make sure it remembered on this forum yearly.

Best regards,

Harold

I guess that's what happen when you quickly read a post at the end of a 18 hour day. We at HMA where spending most of the day getting read for an MMA seminar. We have just covered the floor with Judo mats and most of the day was spent getting them set up. I guess this isn't the first time someone has misread a thread due to haste and exhaustion.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
James Miller said:
I guess that's what happen when you quickly read a post at the end of a 18 hour day.
Hi James,

I did direct my reply directly at Mr. Hartman.

However, I would like to say that being tired or working too hard is not a valid excuse for an improper action. We are all individually accountable for our actions.

Best regards,

Harold

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what i have read in this thread Tapi_Tapi is not only the ability to block and counter at the same time but also the ability to lock.takedown,etc at the same time as blocking or strikeing, is this correct?
So the Masters of Tapi-Tapi are those promoted by Remy just befor his death that have the ability to do these things more often than not and teach these techniques as the major part of what they teach. correct or incorrect?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I should probably avoid saying anything here because, well... I guess I just don't have a whole lot invested in the subject of Modern Arnis titles as I have in the past. But since I don't see anyone stating the obvious yet....

I think that we are left with the unfortunate circumstance that Professor Presas had no consistant standard when it came to giving people rank and titles. Also, the meaning of such titles or promotions were not consistant.

So, we are left with a grouping of titles, and a whole lot of practitioners trying to give meaning too them... meaning that was never entirely consistant in the first place.

Trying to give these titles meaning now, or trying to come up with some sort of consistancy in regards to these titles is really a slippery slope to fallacy; as these titles didn't have the same meaning from person to person.

What we have is titles that we can give blanket definitions for (Datu means "chiefton" or "leader," etc.); but as to their meaning, that is up to practitioners and the title holders themselves to make that decision on an individual basis. Each person had a special relationship to their teacher (Professor Presas in this case). A more accurate question would be to ask a Datu or Master of Tapi-Tapi what their title means to them, as this meaning will (and probably should given the circumstance) vary. Then, make your own decisions on an individual basis who is worth a grain of salt.

That, too me, is an obvious assessment on the question of any title in regards to Modern Arnis. I hope what I have said is not misconstrued or misinterpreted, as this is not a slight to anyone who has a title, or to my late teacher Professor Presas. These are just the facts, really.

Paul Janulis

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I should probably avoid saying anything here because, well... I guess I just don't have a whole lot invested in the subject of Modern Arnis titles as I have in the past. But since I don't see anyone stating the obvious yet....

I think that we are left with the unfortunate circumstance that Professor Presas had no consistant standard when it came to giving people rank and titles. Also, the meaning of such titles or promotions were not consistant.

So, we are left with a grouping of titles, and a whole lot of practitioners trying to give meaning too them... meaning that was never entirely consistant in the first place.

Trying to give these titles meaning now, or trying to come up with some sort of consistancy in regards to these titles is really a slippery slope to fallacy; as these titles didn't have the same meaning from person to person.

What we have is titles that we can give blanket definitions for (Datu means "chiefton" or "leader," etc.); but as to their meaning, that is up to practitioners and the title holders themselves to make that decision on an individual basis. Each person had a special relationship to their teacher (Professor Presas in this case). A more accurate question would be to ask a Datu or Master of Tapi-Tapi what their title means to them, as this meaning will (and probably should given the circumstance) vary. Then, make your own decisions on an individual basis who is worth a grain of salt.

That, too me, is an obvious assessment on the question of any title in regards to Modern Arnis. I hope what I have said is not misconstrued or misinterpreted, as this is not a slight to anyone who has a title, or to my late teacher Professor Presas. These are just the facts, really.

Paul Janulis

Well said. :)

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
1) From what i have read in this thread Tapi_Tapi is not only the ability to block and counter at the same time but also the ability to lock.takedown,etc at the same time as blocking or strikeing, is this correct?

2)So the Masters of Tapi-Tapi are those promoted by Remy just befor his death that have the ability to do these things more often than not and teach these techniques as the major part of what they teach. correct or incorrect?

shadowchaser
1) I tend to disagree here. Tapi tapi in the forms and methods that I have been taught also is the ability to set the opponent up or to program how they will defend (staying one step a head of them), or to steal the drive away from the driver by switching the defense in mid stream and taking over. It can be also baiting the person to set up a particular counter, or baiting the person to set up a lock or a take down. Found within the drills are the majority of all of the different techniques, stratigies, concepts etc. etc. found within MA.

When GM Remy use to cover these drills in the camps he would relate a core technique that we would practice outside of the drill and then translate it into a techniques that we would practice in the drill at various speeds. It is a multi faceted type of drill in which different people play or practice differently and to which it means different things.

2) Your statement here I agree with.

Again not saying that anyone is best here or anything. But I have had the chance to see various instructors teach Tapi tapi over the years since the Professor's passing. (Or similar drills such as the 6 count drills, Sumbrada type patterns, Hubud etc. etc.) The MoTTs have been the ones that taught at the time closest to the way I saw the Professor teach the drills. Others have taught other techniques, concepts etc. etc. and they were great (They expanded my Tapi Tapi view greatly and helped me think outside of the box so to speak) but the MoTTs did teach it as the Professor taught us.

One time at the Houston summer camp I think in 99 or 2000 we had black belt teaching time and we were covering TT. We were off in a little side room from the main group. I can remember Chuck Gnauss (?) and I'm pretty sure Ken Smith really getting after it stealing the drive and free flowing with the drill. So much so I think we all stopped and just watched them get after it including the Proffessor, you could see the pride on his face as he watched them. "VERY GOOD!" Made us all want to train harder.

2002 at the Houston camp (the last one I attended with Dr. Schea's group) I worked some with TJ (DJ?) anyway he kicked my *** playing TT, first person I felt totally inadaquate playing TT with (other than the instructors). He had really improved under Dr. Schea's guidence from the years before.

Submitted with respect
Mark

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Harold-
Seeing that you addressed your post towards me let me respond. I did read the post, but at time I misread it do to a condition I have, Dyslexia. If you don’t know what that is see the following:

Dyslexia: a learning disorder marked by impairment of the ability to recognize and comprehend written words.
This has been mentioned more than once on MT and I would think that someone like yourself would be more understanding. Now this is what I posted:
Remy died August 28, 2001.
How does this question what Remy’s passing meant to you?
You wrote:
However, I would like to say that being tired or working too hard is not a valid excuse for an improper action. We are all individually accountable for our actions.
Well the problem is that the less rest I get the more my condition affects me. I didn't choose to be born with this condition. This is not the first time that someone has posted after misreading a thread. What with your response. It seams that you’re a little worked up about something?

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time out to reply and your display of courage and humility that you have shown by mentioning your condition, of which, I was not aware.

Please know that I have always had nothing but respect for you and that has not changed. This has been shown in my posts and even in this thread in such as, just to make sure that you knew that I was addressing you with respect, I addressed you as Mr. Hartman.

As we have seen with Monkey, when there is a situation that could cause misunderstanding, it takes even more effort to properly ensure that we communicate clearly.

Speaking for myself, I see that as a challenge when I write or communicate verbally because my mind moves faster than my delivery, and as result, I might on occasion drop words or studder.

As far as Remy, as I have stated, remembering him and the anniversary of his passing is important to me, that was my only concern.

It is not in my personalty to start or maintain animosity. Maybe it's my laissez-faire attitude (yes, it causes alots of fun and trouble sometimes:)), but once I have stated my concern, I don't think about it anymore or hold on to it.

Lastly, for us all, it's time to party!!! How about in memory of the Professor this year, we order steak and lobster dinners on August 28th?!!!

Best regards,

Harold

Latest Discussions