what if

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
with the class i take 10 minutes towards the end we do a what if question and answer,two of mine have been what if you have to defend against an upper cut and ,defence from the ground, so we act them out in the next class.

so im looking for any other what ifs and scenerios those who practice and use they wingchun might find themselves in .

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will be of no help on this as I do not like the what if questions as they usually are so obscure or off the topic taught during the class that they are distracting to the lesson plan. Most what if questions will eventually be answered sometime during a persons training if they train long enough

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i mentioned the uppercut as to my knowledge there are no defensive drills or response that is generaly practiced within wingchun but we ended finding something anyway that was more that adequate.

same for ground defense wich as far as i know the answer is just get back up as soon as possible ,again we worked on responses within wingchun .

we keep the questions reality based and i would be interested to know what you have found obscure about the what if questions in your own experiance.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps obscure was the wrong word.
I perhaps should have said that there are always “what if questions” that can be applied to any art and or technique and that many students would rather have a quick answer that seems to cover the situation than take the time to learn the art and find many answers for themselves.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me clarify my words by saying I have no problem with a student asking if a certain technique that we have been working on can be applied to a certain situation. I do have a problem with them asking stuff that is in no way related to the area we have covered in class.
The exception would be if they are having a personal problem and something not covered may help them out of a situation that may happen soon

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
with the class i take 10 minutes towards the end we do a what if question and answer,two of mine have been what if you have to defend against an upper cut and ,defence from the ground, so we act them out in the next class.

so im looking for any other what ifs and scenerios those who practice and use they wingchun might find themselves in .

If the uppercut is to the stomach use chit sau and punch , if the uppercut is to your head jam it with your tan sau , that said , uppercut is a close range punch and if he is that close your own punch should be snapping out which will negate his close range punch.

It is sort of like trying to elbow strike someone when they are punching you in the face they're weapon is longer.
With the ground fighting learn a ground based art , at least learn all the control positions and how to escape the mount and keep the attacker in your guard .

After you are familiar with this modify what you have learned so that you are not looking for submissions but opportunities to strike , eye gouge , bite , rip ears off whatever it takes. Then get up as quick as you can , you might be fighting multiple attackers , you havent got time to be rolling around on the floor.

As for what if questions , would my Wing Chun work if we were both in deep water and couldn't touch the bottom ,

what about if we were both on the moon fighting in low gravity , what effect would that have ?

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As for what if questions , would my Wing Chun work if we were both in deep water and couldn't touch the bottom ,

what about if we were both on the moon fighting in low gravity , what effect would that have ?

now thats obscure haha ...nice 1

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps obscure was the wrong word.
I perhaps should have said that there are always “what if questions” that can be applied to any art and or technique and that many students would rather have a quick answer that seems to cover the situation than take the time to learn the art and find many answers for themselves.

yeah to be honest i dont want to go into it that way was just trying to keep it wingchun based .i know from countless discussions on groundfighting etc can go on forever and the subject and different scenerios are quite complex.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I could hear my sifu now, "That question is a very western world type of question." lol Once you learn WC you'll be able to answer those questions as they arise.

Just learn every detail of the motions and practice lots and it'll come naturally if you just react and don't think. You could spend your entire life thinking about "what ifs" and then when the day comes, you probably wouldn't have covered the "what if" for the situation you're now in and then you end up leaving yourself hanging.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are legitimate "what ifs" and silly ones. Most of us know the difference; if you don't, the instructor accepting the questions should be able to discern them and derail the silly ones.

Think about situations that are likely to occur, either in a sparring match or in a real assault. If, using what you know now, you can't come up with a way to handle it (or don't like what you came up with)... That's your next question. For example... how would you face two attackers? Or someone with a stick in their hands?

Latest Discussions