What have you learned from watching animals?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love your post. My sister-in-law lives on one of our farms and is a huge animal lover. She has 8 dogs who all stay in the house, no telling how many cats, and there are ducks, chickens, a pig, 2 goats, you get the idea. Her feed and medical bills are considerable. I cannot count how many feral cats she has had fixed. All the animals mentioned are free range. The goats are fairly new and a little annoying. I am amazed at the things they can climb on; and relieve themselves there.

I agree with everything you said except this. I do see your point of view but we are all a bunch of animals with a pecking order where humans just happen to be on top.
Virtually all of the problems that people have with animals are the fault of the people.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Out here is much like your world, a lot of it is a farming region. My rented house is next to my landlords very small farm. Dogs and cats are considered livestock around here.

But not to me. Not to me, not even one little fk'n bit. They are my surrogate children. I knew at seven years old I didn't want kids, I wanted dogs. Haven't ever changed my mind.

I like dogs a whole lot better than I like people. I like every dog I ever had better than I've ever liked anybody. While there are many, many cases of dogs turning on people, the ones I've had would not turn on their pack members, especially their pack leaders. Us. You might disagree, but if so you know nothing of the packs I'm been part of.

I've waited years for certain dogs to be born. Long wait when you're looking for a pup. But it was always worth every last minute. I'm dogless right now, figured I'd never have another dog because when you rent out here there's no way you can have a dog. That's thanks to the irresponsible owners who have rented on this island. Aholes, every last one of them. This house has a strict no pets policy. Or least it used to. But as our landlord, considered by many to be a mean, old Asian farmer but who is actually the balls, got to know us. He told us we could have a dog.

And now we wait. Waiting for a certain one out of certain dog. It will be sometime in the fall. It seems like the longest wait of my life. Looks like this cute lil' sucker. A Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

View attachment 22401

Man, I can't wait, I love dogs. And I'll argue over them all day.
I like staffs, they are however over-enthusiastic and have no sense at all of keep away, danger, which I suppose you need if your going to fight bulls,

the local dogs homes are packed full of them, they are the breed of choice for idiots this way out and a significant number are abused, because they are over enthusiastic and or pitched out as they require food/ exercise, attention, letting out for a wee, they also seem to go out of their way to make them aggressive, which makes them difficult to rehome and because idiots usually have them, you likely to b judged an as idiot if you have one

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love your post. My sister-in-law lives on one of our farms and is a huge animal lover. She has 8 dogs who all stay in the house, no telling how many cats, and there are ducks, chickens, a pig, 2 goats, you get the idea. Her feed and medical bills are considerable. I cannot count how many feral cats she has had fixed. All the animals mentioned are free range. The goats are fairly new and a little annoying. I am amazed at the things they can climb on; and relieve themselves there.

I agree with everything you said except this. I do see your point of view but we are all a bunch of animals with a pecking order where humans just happen to be on top.
I don’t dispute your point, but often we humans tend to act irresponsibly in our top position. Many of the animal problems we have, could be avoided. Many of the negative interactions we have are because we moved into their territory and took it over. I feel there are reasonable options for better coexistence than what we often are willing to perceive, or give a try.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t dispute your point, but often we humans tend to act irresponsibly in our top position. Many of the animal problems we have, could be avoided. Many of the negative interactions we have are because we moved into their territory and took it over. I feel there are reasonable options for better coexistence than what we often are willing to perceive, or give a try.
Agree. Perspective is always intriguing to me. I feel like we go above and beyond to take care of the 300 plus animals we have. Someone who is uninformed might see something we do differently. A snapshot of something is usually where incorrect perspectives come from. We need to take the time to co-exist. I very much embrace the idea of the cycle of life and how we all fit into it.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
iI not sure you've ever owned a dog if you think there's nothing going on in their brains, or that they didn't suffer from self doubt or in fact depresion
I've had a few great ones. Yes, they think about food, being petted, humping, chasing squirrels and can have separation anxiety or some other emotional issues. I don't think there's much more than that. When a dog is just laying around in its normal state of being, I think only the night light is on.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've had a few great ones. Yes, they think about food, being petted, humping, chasing squirrels and can have separation anxiety or some other emotional issues. I don't think there's much more than that. When a dog is just laying around in its normal state of being, I think only the night light is on.
you can say that for most people, possibly not the squirrels

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like staffs, they are however over-enthusiastic and have no sense at all of keep away, danger, which I suppose you need if your going to fight bulls,

the local dogs homes are packed full of them, they are the breed of choice for idiots this way out and a significant number are abused, because they are over enthusiastic and or pitched out as they require food/ exercise, attention, letting out for a wee, they also seem to go out of their way to make them aggressive, which makes them difficult to rehome and because idiots usually have them, you likely to b judged an as idiot if you have one

I like Staffs, too. I've had wonderful Staffs. The reason I'm going for the smaller Staffie Bull is because I don't want to be lifting a 70 pound dog into the car when they're ten years old.

It depends on how you raise them, which depends on what you know about raising a family pet I guess. None of my dogs were over-enthusiastic, none were dumb enough not to avoid danger. The only time they ever displayed that was to protect family.

I don't believe I was ever considered an idiot dog owner. My dogs were frequently borrowed by friends to play with their kids, they were all very tolerant with kids. Every single one of my dogs got along with other dogs, with cats, with anything. Except rats, they were all great ratters. But, strangely enough, three of the four wouldn't go after mice. They would look at them and wag their tail. Too small to be seen as a threat, maybe, I don't really know.

They were all very instinctual with people. If a person had bad intent they would pick up on it before I did. But I always heeded their attitude towards somebody they were weary off.

I've also noticed that a great many dogs adopt the attitudes and behaviors on their owners.

My dogs were always either in a house, my car, an enclosed yard or on leash. In forty years of having dogs not one was ever off leash. Not once, ever. I'm a responsible dog owner and take great pride in that. Not one has ever bothered anybody or any animal. I would not allow that.

Man, I can't wait to get this next dog, which will likely be our last. But I'm so psyched!

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Out here it's pretty much the same situation with pitbulls. They're the preferred macho pet of idiots who raise them badly and often abuse them, intentionally trying to make them mean. And because of their reputation, a lot of apartment complexes and even some housing communities don't allow them. Such a shame. Some of the sweetest dogs I've met are pitbulls. And some of the nicest owners. Like everything else the idiots mess up life for everybody.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions