What gets you 'in the zone'?

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Other than practicing your style(s), of course. You know what I mean- that moment when the rest of the world becomes less than background noise, your perceptions and reactions become utterly efficient and focused on your chosen task... what does that for you?

I get it sometimes when I'm writing- poetry or fiction- and listening to shoegazing music (Slowdive, Auburn Lull, Stars of the Lid, etc.). Also, when I'm working on my website (as amateur and self-taught as it may be) and I'm figuring out how to get a new HTML/Java 'trick' to work for me. Likewise, when I'm on a run, and I hit that 'second wind'... and I feel like I just hit pavement, despite having just run 3 miles. :)

What about you?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get in the zone when I listen to music. I have all 11 van halen albums and some sammy hagar solo. So listening to that stuff just puts me in the zone so to speak.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
All of my hobbies ARE my hobbies because they afford me the opportunity to get in the zone.

Motorcyles - not just a hobby, but as much a part of me as MA.
Rock Climbing - used to be the third most important thing in my life but has become a hobby over the last few years as I grew into more and more obligations.
Bass Guitar - setting a complex but steady rythm - very "Zone " inducing
Painting - definitely only a hobby, but I have taught myself pinstriping.

I'm ADD and these activities are ones I HAVE to hyperfocus on and it allows my mind to get a break from itself.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Motorcyles - not just a hobby, but as much a part of me as MA it allows my mind to get a break from itself.

I hear ya there..After a bad day on the job a ride on the Glides returns me to a clear state of mind....

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bikes are awesome!!! Just started riding and love it!

Apart from that though, the thought of pushing myself through previous bounderies is usually enough. I love the high after training so hard your limbs are numb and all you can feel is the satisfaction of a hard workout. I've tried numerous other sports but MA is the ultimate test of physical and mental strength. In my (humble humble) opinion - its as much in your mind as it is in your muscles.

The limits of the human body are yet to be discovered.....

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Other than practicing your style(s), of course. You know what I mean- that moment when the rest of the world becomes less than background noise, your perceptions and reactions become utterly efficient and focused on your chosen task... what does that for you?

I get it sometimes when I'm writing- poetry or fiction- and listening to shoegazing music (Slowdive, Auburn Lull, Stars of the Lid, etc.). Also, when I'm working on my website (as amateur and self-taught as it may be) and I'm figuring out how to get a new HTML/Java 'trick' to work for me. Likewise, when I'm on a run, and I hit that 'second wind'... and I feel like I just hit pavement, despite having just run 3 miles. :)

What about you?

Reading- anything. Playing The Sims 2. Listening to music.

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Long rides on the Harley, shooting a few games of pool and/or staring at the ocean... Sometimes you just gotta switch off. :)

Zoning at the gym: Agressive music

Tai Chi: Island music

If were talking about what triggers you from 0-100 "Try to take my life or threaten to harm my family". %-}

Latest Discussions