What Forms Poomse Hyung do you do

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What Forms Poomse Hyung do you do? We started with Kichos and Palgwes, added the old Pyungs, now Taegeuks plus advanced forms-yikes! makes my head spin!! How 'bout y'all?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do Kibon, Taegueks until 1st Dan, then learn ITF forms as well to get to 2nd. I've learned Keumgang and am starting Po-un. Twenty two forms + the master's form, in my head. I wonder how many you can retain? TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kibon, Chon-ji, Taegueks for now even though they are thinking about changing them again YEA!! Black is Koryo, Kuemkang,taebeck and so on and Bassia which I personally like.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Taekwondo forms:

Kibon Hyung 1-5
Palgue 1-8
Koryo
Tae Baek
Jee Tae

Karate forms:

Pyung Ahn 1-5
Sypsoo
Bassai Tae
Bassai So
No Hai
Ahm Hak
Chulki 1-3
Wan Shu
Kong Son Kun
Ban Wol
Cha Un
Jin Soo
Oh Ship Sa Bo
Ship Pal
Bong Hyung 1-5

Chuan-fa forms:

Dan Kwon
Chang Kwon (Offensive & Defensive)
Doju San
Tai Jo Kwon
So Ho Yon
Han Son Dae Ryon

R. McLain

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do Taegeuks. Then koryo, Tae baek, ect. Our basic form is one my master instructor developed as well as our bo forms (red belt). He also developed a series of BB forms as well (in addition to doing the WTF ones).

OP
DuneViking

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Holy cow rmclain, that's is a lot o forms!! I thought we had a bunch. In addition to the others I listed, we added 3 in with the pyung ahns-nohei, naihanchi-1, and shipsoo. At first dan we use the WTF series starting with Koryo and add Bassai, at 2nd D Keumgang and Yum Bi (reference En Pi) 3rd D Taebeck, 4th D Pyongwon and the rest of the WTF series Sipjin, Jitae, Chonkwon, Hansu and Ilyeo down the line totaling only 38, but that's plenty for me now! Some of us also take the initiative and learn other forms as we wish.

I found it interesting that people are mixing the ITF forms with the taegeuks, much more common than I would have thought. I will probably go senile before I run out of forms to learn, thanks to all you contributors!!!

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi DuneViking,

I never knew anything different growing up until I hung out with friends from other schools. Never seemed like much to me, but stepping back it does look like alot.

I see you are from Chung Do Kwan. My teacher's lineage is from the Chang Moo Kwan and Kang Duk Won in Korea, beginning in 1951. The forms taught there were from karate and chuan-fa. When the KTA created and introduced Koryo, Kumgang, Tae Baek, Ship Jin, Baek Jae, JeeTae in December 1967 my teacher was one of the Masters invited to those clinics. He adopted those forms into our curriculum and the Palgue 1-8 forms in 1973 when they were created. Later he dropped Kum Gang, Ship Jin, and Baek Jae.

I don't think the number of forms learned is important compared to the quality and the amount of study and sweat put into it. :)

The forms that were added at your school: pyung Ahn, Sypsoo, Naihanchi, No Hai have lots of wisdom and information in them. Glad to hear you get to study them.

By rank, here is where we learn our forms.

10th Gup (White Belt): Kibon Hyung Il Chol, Kibon Hyung Yi Chol, Kibon Hyung Sam Chol
9th Gup (Orange Belt): Kibon Hyung Sa Chol, Kibon Hyung Oh Chol, Palgue Il Jang, Bong Hyung Il Jang
8th & 7th Gup (Yellow Belt): Pyung Ahn Cho Dan, Pyung Ahn Yi Dan, Palgue Yi Jang, Bong Hyung Yi Jang
6th Gup (Green Belt): Pyung Ahn Sam Dan, Pyung Ahn Sa Dan, Palgue Sam Jang, Palgue Sa Jang
5th Gup (Blue Belt): Pyung Ahn Oh Dan, Palgue Oh Jang, Danjon Hohub Hyung
4th Gup (Purple Belt): Palgue Yuk Jang, Sypsoo, Koryo, Tae Baek
3rd Gup (Purple Belt): Dan Kwon, Doju San, Bong Hyung Sam Jang
2nd Gup (Brown Belt): Bassai Tae, Palgue Chil Jang
1st Gup (Brown Belt): Jee Tae, Palgue Pal Jang

1st Dan (Black): No Hai, Chulki Cho Dan, Chang Kwon (Offensive), Bong Hyung Sa Jang
2nd Dan (Black): Ahm Hak, Chulki Yi Dan, Chang Kwon (Defensive)
3rd Dan (Black): Chulki Sam Dan, Bassai So, Wan Shu
4th Dan (Black): Kong Son Kun, So Ho Yon, Tai Jo Kwon, Ban Wol, Cha Un
5th Dan (Black): Jin Soo, Oh Ship Sa Bo, Ship Pal

There are more forms 6-8th Dan, but I don't know which are required.

R. McLain

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do the palgwe series for gup levels and the Koryo - Taebaek for 1st dan and above.

J

Jim Tindell

Kibon Hyung, Palgwe series, Koryo, Taebaek, Keumgang, etc.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
We practice the Korean versions of the Japanese forms that were part of Chung Do Kwan curriculum until the introduction of the Palgue forms. The Pyong-an (Pinan) series, the Chul-gi (Nihanchi) series, Pal-sek (Bassai), etc. We also practice the first two forms of the Kukmu series, which were created by Grandmaster Son. The other four Kukmu's are are optional, and have been rarely practiced for some time. I don't know exactly why that is however (but I have a guess).

OP
DuneViking

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
rmclain,
I don't think the number of forms learned is important compared to the quality and the amount of study and sweat put into it. :)

AMEN!!!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never heard of an organization that used black belt forms in its color belt curriculum. For some reason, I highly doubt that gup students are accomplished enough to do Koryo, Kumgang, or Taebaek and make them look convincing. There is a reason why they are black belt forms.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
We only do Taeguk, at least through the lower gup ranks that I've seen. We only do them on Monday's (plus personal practice) but we put a lot of emphasis on good form (crisp, powerful, sharp moves, good balance and foot placement, powerful strikes)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
At my school we have 21 forms (hyung) altogether, but it's hard for me to name all of them because I've only learned a little less than half of them.

White: Kukmu 1, 2
Yellow:pyong 1, 2, Kukmu 3
Green: (pyong 2 improvement shown) Pyong 3, Chien
Purple- this is where I'm not certain, but I'll know what they are in 3 weeks! Yippee!!!! Well, at least for purple belt. Kukmu 4, 5 and I think pyong 4

Brown and black belts have Palsek, Coryo, and a few others- this is where I definitely draw a blank. The way I learned those names is by overhearing them in practice.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I have never heard of an organization that used black belt forms in its color belt curriculum. For some reason, I highly doubt that gup students are accomplished enough to do Koryo, Kumgang, or Taebaek and make them look convincing. There is a reason why they are black belt forms.
I understand your confusion on this since they were originally meant to be black belt forms when they were created.

My teacher was one of the Korean Masters in attendance when those forms were created and introduced by the Korean Taekwondo Association in Korea, December 1967. He immigrated to the US on January 16, 1968 and was the first to introduce and teach those forms in America. Many instructors sent their black belt to learn these "new" forms from Korea from him at the time.
http://www.kimsookarate.com/gallery-first30/firstclinic.html

He added and placed the forms in our curriculum where he felt they were best suited. I personally don't believe Koryo, Tae Baek, or Jee Tae are advanced forms. There are much more advanced forms in our karate and Chuan-fa lineage, which is from the Chang Moo Kwan and Kang Duk Won.

As a colored belt I had the opportunity to train with black belt from other schools only teaching WTF style. I found myself understanding and demonstrating the forms better and actually teaching them sometimes to these black belts. At first, some had the same reaction as you, Michigan TKD, but when I explained the background of my teacher, all of them seemed to appreciate me helping them with their forms.

R. McLain

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I study and teach the Taeguek series and the Kukkiwon's black belt poomsae (Koryo, Keumgang, etc.). Poomsae are like onions, you keep peeling off one layer and discover another.

R McLain, I have 2 of your instructor's books, but have not been able to find the last on Palgue series (i.e. 7 & 8). Was this book ever completed/published?

Miles

Latest Discussions