What fiction book are you currently reading?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just finished The Cobweb by Neal Stephenson and J. Frederick George - Ok, but blander and not as interesting as Stephenson's solo works that I have read.

Reqeium for an Assassin by Barry Eisler - Good book, it may be the newness is wearing off, but this one didn't grab me like the earlier Rain books. Great psychology work though, I really like the real world based looks at confrontation mentality and torture resistance.

A Meeting at Corvallis by SM Stirling - I'm a sucker for a good apocalypse tale, and one that thrusts a modern civilization back to the iron age works for me. I preferred the first tale in the series to the latter two, but they certainly qualify as good popcorn reading.

Finally finished Deathbird Stories which I started a year or more ago, Ellison just isn't an author who makes you want to slam through his works. Best savored slowly.

-Lamont

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"The Secret River" by Kate Grenville. Ought to be required reading in all Aust. high schools, IMHO. Convicing, sensitive and powerful book.

"Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts. A cracking read, though i guess it's more autobio than fiction. But what storytelling! I can't wait to see the film!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For about the sixth time, "Ashes of Victory" by David Weber (9th book of the Honor Harrington series). If I could only have one series of books in the Sci-Fi genre, then this would be it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
For about the sixth time, "Ashes of Victory" by David Weber (9th book of the Honor Harrington series). If I could only have one series of books in the Sci-Fi genre, then this would be it.

"War of Honor" was a bit of a drag, but "At All Costs" made up for it. The early Honor books are probably my favorite examples of space opera.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I listened to "The Golden Compass" on audio tape, that was great, I love the dark children's fiction. I was much more impressed with Pullman's world creation than Rowlings.

I just finished "The Skystone" and "The Singing Sword" by Jack Whyte, fantastic historical fiction, the two books cover the end of Rome in Britain, and the origins of the Arthur "King of the Britons" lineage. This isn't an action packed story, and I like it all the more for that.

Starting in on "Infernal" the umteenth entry in the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson. So far so good, but in some ways I liked the madder, meaner Jack.

Lamont

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"War of Honor" was a bit of a drag, but "At All Costs" made up for it. The early Honor books are probably my favorite examples of space opera.

Absolutely agree with the latter sentence there :tup:. Probably my favourite single volume ,if I was forced to choose, would be "Flag in Exile".

As to "War of Honor", I've ever felt it to be a 'stage setter' for an upcoming confrontation between Manticore and it's allies and the Sollies. Either that or a simple 'backdoor' to a new region so we can get to meet new and interesting cultures to stop the Andermani and the Peeps from getting stale.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Starting in on "Infernal" the umteenth entry in the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson. So far so good, but in some ways I liked the madder, meaner Jack.

"Infernal" is good. Not my favorite, but oh man - you have to get through it so you can read "Harbingers"! Jack has never been madder or meaner. And I've been told by a friend who couldn't wait for the paperback that "Bloodlines" is the best one yet. I can't wait!

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A Meeting at Corvallis by SM Stirling - I'm a sucker for a good apocalypse tale, and one that thrusts a modern civilization back to the iron age works for me. I preferred the first tale in the series to the latter two, but they certainly qualify as good popcorn reading.

Finally finished Deathbird Stories which I started a year or more ago, Ellison just isn't an author who makes you want to slam through his works. Best savored slowly.

I have to agree that the first Stirling book was the best. I think the events kinda overwhelmed the characters in the last two. I believe that a new one in the series just came out...The Sunrise Lands? If anyone's read it, I'd love to know what they thought. Undecided if I'll get it or not.

Deathbird Stories is on my "to read list" I had a friend introduce me to Ellison's works, and I've not found anyone quite like him.

Anywho...to answer the original question, I just finished devouring "At All Costs" by David Weber. Having no direct military experience, I never thought I’d read a book where the tactical minutie excited me and didn’t make my eyes glaze over. I love the way he writes! The only other writer I've read recently who writes battles as well is Robert Jordan.

Also just finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Gotta love a good surreal-mytho-boogie.

I tend to read 1-3 books at a time, depending on where I am and how busy my life is...so next up is Dante's "Divine comedy" (unabridged audio because I have a long commute) and TA Barron's 3rd book in the Great Tree of Avalon series.

I have to say, though...having read most of this thread...my list of books just got MUCH longer! OY!:eek: YES!:headbangin:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm re-reading my way through the Death Gate Cycle for probably the third or fourth time. This time I finally read the "About the authors" bit on the dust cover and was very surprised that Tracy Hickman is a man...

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just finished reading Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy because I wanted to decide for myself if it was worth the uproar, and I think more critics of the story should read the books.

Just started reading The Essential Ellison: A 50 year Retrospective It's a fascinating look into the growth of an author and the themes in his works.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My wife is on the Amber Spyglass, for the same reason.

I am starting again on an old favorite I haven't read in about 15 years, Taliesin, by Stephen Lawhead. It's part of a trilogy that starts with the Destruction of Atlantis, and follows through to the King Arthur stories. (Hint: the Lady of the Lake is a survivor of Atlantis.)

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My wife is on the Amber Spyglass, for the same reason.
I am starting again on an old favorite I haven't read in about 15 years, Taliesin, by Stephen Lawhead. It's part of a trilogy that starts with the Destruction of Atlantis, and follows through to the King Arthur stories. (Hint: the Lady of the Lake is a survivor of Atlantis.)

Gotta love someone who is wiling to find out for themselves!

Have you read T.A. Barron's take on the Merlin mythos? It's pretty good!

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, but I did recently read The Once and Future King. It should be required reading for anybody who has to work with people.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Gotta love someone who is wiling to find out for themselves!

Have you read T.A. Barron's take on the Merlin mythos? It's pretty good!

Nope, but I finished up The Eagles Brood and The Saxon Shore by Jack Whyte which is another take on the Arthurian mythos. Excellent excellent books.

Latest Discussions