Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
T Hartman said:
I guess the real question is do you want to be part or the problem or the solution? Do you post on MT to help people and share information or to cause problems and screw with people?

:asian:

Or are you concerned about an issue that everybody else chooses to ignore because of personal investment?

At least some people can confine it to TGD....

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I asked the question on DocB's thread and agree with Dan A that it probably needs its own thread. As a spin off of the "what have you done to contribute..." thread,I want to ask the question.....

To the people who are leading the art, what do you think Modern Arnis "needs". Does it need more exposure, does it need standardization, does it need centralized control (hows that for a hot topic?). If you folks are going to "contribute", what do you think the direction should be?
Let's stay on the original topic.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed.

So whats the first step in overcoming the baggage/politics that are in existence right now? Is the seemingly increasing number of associations (and the competition that seems to come with them) an aid or a detriment to co-operation?

Is there any system out there that is free of this type of stuff that can be looked to as a model?

RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
T Hartman said:
I guess the real question is do you want to be part or the problem or the solution? Do you post on MT to help people and share information or to cause problems and screw with people?

After calling someone's work over this internet stuff do you really have any room to talk about causing problems or screwing with people?

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
T Hartman said:
This is an simple yet hard task.

The simple part is people working together for a common goal.

The hard part is people checking thier egos at the door.

Far easier said than done, unfortunately. I found this out the hard way when I tried to organize the Senior Student of Remy Presas Summer Camp (for lack of a better name) and that blew apart due to the above. Probably a common goal which does not necesarily require interaction amongst all would be the best we could hope for in present time. This way each group could at least work on the more positive goal of dissemination of the art in their own manner.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
RickRed said:
After calling someone's work over this internet stuff do you really have any room to talk about causing problems or screwing with people?
Hey Rick, nice to know you have all the "poop" in that case. Why don't you either stick to the topic or go hang with the other jock sniffers in the litterbox board? Otherwise, you're just part of the problem thats long been stinking up this section.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As long as there are people involved there will be "politics". Trying to work around or through them is key IMO. Any ideas? Or like Dan said is it just a matter of "live and let live"?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:

On Topic is good. :)

Tgace said:
So whats the first step in overcoming the baggage/politics that are in existence right now?

I talk to people and go see them and let them decide for themsleves and in person what type of person I am. I can only try to change myself, to try to force someone else to change is not the answer.

When people ask me to call them to explain my errors, I call them, and let them say their peace. I then ask if they are willing to listen to what I had written or said. If not then I say thank you and move on, if they do then I present the data. In once case the senior who asked me to call him found out I was not the one who had misspoke, but other had. It was a missunderstanding. This misunderstanding could have been an issue, but I chose to find out versus just get mad or get even. Once again I do what I can. I make mistakes as a human being, and I try to learn from them as well.

Tgace said:
Is the seemingly increasing number of associations (and the competition that seems to come with them) an aid or a detriment to co-operation?

Co-operation can work with the number of organizations out there. I think it might be hard to get all of the leaders of orgs or top students all in one place. Maybe with time. Yet, with each offer, hopefully one more is willing to consider and one more accepts and people move forward.

As to the number of orgs and competition, I do not think that people as stealing income or students from others. Since the passing of the GM Remy Presas there have been more seminars and camps then before. My thought is that people can train where they want, and possible multiple groups. The mulitple groups make have to be after they have enough time to understand that the different groups may have concentrated slightly different to get to the same goal, just by walking a different path.

Tgace said:
Is there any system out there that is free of this type of stuff that can be looked to as a model?

I am not familiar with all systems. but those I am know of, all have some form of politics as Human beings are involved. Yet one can hope though. :)

Bester

Reaction score
What Modern Arnis needs, at least online, is less of this personal mudslinging, especially from uninformed, third parties, and more focus on history, techniques and concepts. Reading through here I see alot of game playing, back stabbing, self promotion and ball biting, but unless I really dig, it's hard to find any serious "meat" on what the art is about.

Can any one answer some simple questions?
- How was the art developed?
- Who were the influences at the various times during its evolution?
- What are the basic concepts? Advanced concepts?
- What sets it apart from the gazillion other arts out there?

Or will it just be more "buy my book" "buy my tape" "you suck" "your mother" "waah" "he's a poopy head"?

Hey, looking around, here's 3 questions that were asked...how come none of you "masters" "doctors" "professors" and "datus" seem to be interested in answering? Too busy taking aim at each other?
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27473
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27474
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27472

This one was good, until it degenerated into a "whos right" debate:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27023

Heres a good one, but it died young:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23482

Heres a good idea, if a bit lacking in info and heavy on ads:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23375

Reading back through the last years posts, Modern Arnis is an art form that focuses on spaming message boards with flyers and ads, while pointing fingers and declaring others unworthy. I thought it was supposed to have something to do with martial arts.

What does Modern Arnis need?

An Enema.

RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bester said:
Hey Rick, nice to know you have all the "poop" in that case. Why don't you either stick to the topic or go hang with the other jock sniffers in the litterbox board? Otherwise, you're just part of the problem thats long been stinking up this section.
Hey "al" why does Tim get a pass on the "stay on the topic" lecture when the comment is a thinly veiled shot? I'll stay on topic from now on because the mods asked. That would be the decent thing to do. Where do you get off writing like you own the place?

Bester

Reaction score
DickRed said:
Hey "al" why does Tim get a pass on the "stay on the topic" lecture when the comment is a thinly veiled shot?
Really? Against who? Looks like a fair question to me. Unless you know something that I don't?
Lets see it again:
Originally Posted by T Hartman
Well, I'll ask you the same thing: Gonna contribute or just add **** to the steamy pile?

DickRed said:
Where do you get off writing like you own the place?
Maybe because I'd like to read something of merit on this art, rather than the seemingly non-stop BS I find.

RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I asked the question on DocB's thread and agree with Dan A that it probably needs its own thread. As a spin off of the "what have you done to contribute..." thread,I want to ask the question.....

To the people who are leading the art, what do you think Modern Arnis "needs". Does it need more exposure, does it need standardization, does it need centralized control (hows that for a hot topic?). If you folks are going to "contribute", what do you think the direction should be?
From what I have seen, it seems that Modern Arnis needs a dose of honor and confidence. There is too much value put on Training with Remy Presas. There isn't enough put on how much you understand the art. Training with Remy seems to be like winning a popularity contest. I am sure there are very good martial artists that never saw a grand master their whole life.

Too often it looks like people are pointing fingers or trying to cut other people off, or shut them up instead of working on their own skill and personal growth. If you know that you are doing the right thing, what other people are doing shouldn't be anything to fear. Confident people don't have to run behind other peoples back to bad mouth them. THey don't need to beg onto a floor or call other people's programs jokes. There looks to be quite a bit of that going on.

RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bester said:
Really? Against who? Looks like a fair question to me. Unless you know something that I don't?
Lets see it again:

Well, I'll ask you the same thing: Gonna contribute or just add **** to the steamy pile?

Maybe because I'd like to read something of merit on this art, rather than the seemingly non-stop BS I find.
So much for leading by example. There's lots of merit in changing a user's account name like you did. Very mature and very "NOT ADDING TO THE STEAMY PILE" I think there is some rule about such harassment and immaturity. But hey keep showing how important quality is to you.

"non-stop" BS....I haven't seen you comment on anything before now, so it doesn' seem to be as non stop as you want to see...

I'll stop posting things that irritate you so much that you have to resort to such juvanile garbag. SOmeone has to be the grown up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions