What does "kwon" actually mean?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
My "02". Gym.

Had a conversation with a Korean senior about this once when I heard of a gentleman with a small school using the title Kwan Jang Nim. I had only really heard it used for someone wo headed an organization and thought it improper. Anyway, this senior told me that if he was head of a gym (his gym) the use was proper.

I have found that some terms are colloquial in nature or esoteric, when used for TKD and have a meaning different that what the everyday usage may dictate. (Or at least it seemd that way if I would ask a Korean non TKD person about it versus a Korean TKD person. Of course my pronunciation could have been screwed up.)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm, the hanja used, similar to the Japanese language, is borrowed from the Chinese written language, and the character for "kwon" is 拳. In Japanese, this is pronouned "ken" (or "kobushi"), and means "fist" (or "weapon"). Are you sure you're not thinking of "Kwoon", Earl? Chinese training halls?

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe Master Weiss was actually referring to "Kwan," as in Oh Do Kwan which does mean gym. It's a different hanja than that used in Taekwon-Do (different hangul, too).

Pax,

Chris

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I found a website that splits out the brush strokes for each, not sure how accurate it is, but it says the top stroke is 'fold fingers to make circle' and the bottom stroke is 'hand'

http://www.chinmukwan.com/mastersforumwinter2012/summer2009.html

Don't know how correct / reliable a source it is, but still, interesting.

This site can help break down the Hanja. It's not the best method, but, it's not a bad start. Paste one of the Hanja in the search and see what you can discover. http://www.cojak.org/

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
My "02". Gym.

Had a conversation with a Korean senior about this once when I heard of a gentleman with a small school using the title Kwan Jang Nim. I had only really heard it used for someone wo headed an organization and thought it improper. Anyway, this senior told me that if he was head of a gym (his gym) the use was proper.

I have found that some terms are colloquial in nature or esoteric, when used for TKD and have a meaning different that what the everyday usage may dictate. (Or at least it seemd that way if I would ask a Korean non TKD person about it versus a Korean TKD person. Of course my pronunciation could have been screwed up.)

Kwon, as in Taekwondo has a different Hangul and Hanja character from - Kwan - , as in Kwanjang.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe Master Weiss was actually referring to "Kwan," as in Oh Do Kwan which does mean gym. It's a different hanja than that used in Taekwon-Do (different hangul, too).

Pax,

Chris

OOPS, righ. My bad. Thanks Mr. S.

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well from my studies Kwon means to punch or attack with the hand.

Though similar but not Kwan and Kwon may sound the same but to different meanings. Kwan as we all know is school / body of teaching as in the 5 original Kwans. Kwan Chang Nim is President or 7th or higher of that school. Thats just my two cents.

Latest Discussions