What do you think?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
New software; new look. But the content remains the same. Kind of like painting a room in your house a different color...

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry but don't get you. Do you believe crosstraining will be good or not?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's some confusion, Manny. I think JKS9199 thought you were commenting on the new software, because of the way your link appears.

Cross training can be good, certainly. Personally, I don't think people should crosstrain until they have a solid grounding in their primary art, but you certainly do. I'd say go for it.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think one must not remain static, I mean, if one wants to try something new like a new martial art one should go for it, it can't be wrong to try new stuff, besides it can be fun and cahnces are one can learn something new.

I did crosstraining in Kenpo karate a few years back, it was possitive, I knew new people and also learn new stuff.

Empty the cup is something very difficult to do I already know, because mind,body and spirit have one way of doing the things, I can remeber one kenpo class where the sensei teach us three or four techs and at the end of the class sensei ask us to prearange a self defense sceanrio where we can use the techs learned some minutes ago, so I revieved the techs on my mind several times and when I feelt ready I ask my classmates to perform the atacks from 4 distinct ways, in a hurry defende myself BUT I use my TKD techs to do it, the sensei gave me a smile and told me I defend myself very well however I did not use any of the kenpo karate techs he taught me, I was a little embarrased for these, yes I defend myself very well but not using Kenpo. That's why I tell you that empty the cup is so diffcult.

Manny

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Manny

I'm with Dirty Dog on this one. I think cross-training is great for adding depth to your practice, but preferably only after you've grounded yourself in your primary art as to have a solid footing/base for your techniques. Then you can just add onto that as time passes. :)

The exception I'd probably make is if the styles were widely different from one another - like a Muay Thai/BJJ pairing, or a Karate/Judo or Aikido pairing. I can imagine juggling TKD and Karate might me confusing to some, or Savate and Muay Thai.

As a polyglot, I'd have no qualms trying to juggle learning Icelandic and Russian at the same time, but were I to attempt the same with Spanish and Portuguese, I may start jumbling the words up. Same goes for MA, imho.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
ive met some kung fu sifu and a few of their students and thats probably the only training ive done (besides goju and kobudo afcoarse) but never cross trained, personally i never cross trained before but i could imagine its good training. maybe help you improve your main style(learn which techniques work, which are more effective and which not to use. and might learn a thing or two about the style the other personis using

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry -- misunderstood.

Cross training is your call. It can be very beneficial. Or it can be a waste of time. If I'm doing cross training, I want it to be supportive of my main training, otherwise, I'm wasting my time. I've still got tons of stuff I have barely worked with from my teacher...

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry -- misunderstood.

Cross training is your call. It can be very beneficial. Or it can be a waste of time. If I'm doing cross training, I want it to be supportive of my main training, otherwise, I'm wasting my time. I've still got tons of stuff I have barely worked with from my teacher...

Understood and valid. I think the same.

Manny

Latest Discussions