What do you get out of 1 step sparring?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this lately. For me, it allows me to experiment in a safer situation. It also really helped me with my footwork. I'm interested to see what other people get out of it.

Jeff

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Focus
Application
Balance
Timing
Distancing

In ITF TKD, step sparring follows a continuum (although every class I've seen jumps into free sparring at white belt instead of waiting for black belt the way the continuum calls for):

3 step sparring alone
3 step sparring with a partner
2 way 3-step sparring (Yom Chi TKD Association [YCTA] only)
2 step sparring
1 step sparring
Model step sparring (like 1 step, but done once at full speed, and once in slow motion for technique and focus - so no jump kicks)
Semi-free step sparring (not orchestrated like previous step sparrings - your partner only knows when s/he is being attacked, but not what with)
Foot sparring (like semi-free, but feet only)
Free sparring

Differences between free sparring and step sparring:

Step sparring has no illegal targets (unlike free sparring, which limits targets to the front of the torso above the waist, and the entire head; nothing on the back, below the waist, or on the neck) - so you can throw techniques and aim at targets not available in free sparring for safety reasons

There are no illegal techniques in step sparring, which can include throws, grabs/releases, takedowns, sweeps (only legal at red and above in YCTA), and there are no illegal targets as there are in free sparring - so knees, kidneys, spine, throat, etc. are all legal in step sparring.

Step sparring is one of my favorite activities in TKD - especially 1 step, which allows more opportunity for creativity and exploring technique than most other formats.

J-Man

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kacey said:
Focus
Application
Balance
Timing
Distancing

In ITF TKD, step sparring follows a continuum (although every class I've seen jumps into free sparring at white belt instead of waiting for black belt the way the continuum calls for):

3 step sparring alone
2 step sparring
1 step sparring
Model step sparring (like 1 step, but done once at full speed, and once in slow motion for technique and focus - so no jump kicks)
Semi-free step sparring (not orchestrated like previous step sparrings - your partner only knows when s/he is being attacked, but not what with)
Free sparring

Differences between free sparring and step sparring:

Step sparring has no illegal targets (unlike free sparring, which limits targets to the front of the torso above the waist, and the entire head; nothing on the back, below the waist, or on the neck) - so you can throw techniques and aim at targets not available in free sparring for safety reasons

There are no illegal techniques in step sparring, which can include throws, grabs/releases, takedowns, sweeps (only legal at red and above in YCTA), and there are no illegal targets as there are in free sparring - so knees, kidneys, spine, throat, etc. are all legal in step sparring.

Step sparring is one of my favorite activities in TKD - especially 1 step, which allows more opportunity for creativity and exploring technique than most other formats.

Thank you for posting that informaton, Kacey. As a BJJ guy, I had absolutely no idea what 1 step sparring was. I have learned quite a bit since I have been on this forum. :asian:

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
yea my sparring partner is a bag hanging from a tree in my yard,lol, and other then that its some friends, and only one of them practices martial arts. and he is def better then me so i dont really get a chance to be really agressive when sparring him. i am mostly on defense and counter attacking.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
The reason I love TKD is the way the cirriculum fits together. In MSK:TKD for white to yellow we have 3 basic moves. The three one step sparring shows the practical application of the basic moves. Chong Gi and Tae Guek Il Chang reinforce the proper stances and strikes used in the basics and one step sparring.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
what's one step sparring to start with?
sounds like it's a TKD thing. do you guys share to elaborate?

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A one-step, as we practice it, is a definitive defense against a single, committed attack--a self defense drill as opposed to sparring, which is more of a sport.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think one of the most beneficial things from one step sparring is the reaction time it builds. Almost along the same lines as learning to shoot the M-16 at bootcamp.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
1,2 or 3 step spars and kisokumite Help you train possible appliction In a controled prearanged selfdefence aspect. If understood it helps to open the doors to the open training of live application. By the different attack defence application that you can use later.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
No matter if it is 1 step, 3 step, or a complete pre-arranged form the big thing I get is the chance to throw techs at full speed right to the point of contact. This increases my control, focus, and the individual techniques.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kacey's reply was excellent and I agree with it. The main reason I studied TKD for a few years was to learn the step sparring. I am much more comfortable working within the framework of Bando, but the benefits of step sparing are - IMHO - obvious and unquestionable. I trained for quite a while to learn as much as I could about proper development of step sparring and plan on incorporating the procedure as a training aide in my school curiculum.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those who asked what 1-step is:

Kacey said:
3 step sparring alone

This is an exercise - an orchestrated sequence of 3 movements, first attacking and then defending. The sequence is:

- measure to imaginary opponent (target "opponent" throughout exercise)
- step back into walking stance, low block
- step forward into walking stance, middle punch (x3)
- step back into walking stance, middle inner forearm block (x3)
- hold stance, reverse (rear arm) punch

Kacey said:

- attacker measures distance to defender (step forward in walking stance), steps back in walking stance with a low block.
- attacker steps forward in walking stance, middle punch; defender steps back in walking stance, middle inner forearm block (repeat 2 more times - thus 3 identical sequences = 3 step sparring)
- attacker holds position, both hold stance, defender performs reverse (rear hand) punch; "wins".

Repeat with each person as attacker (constant throughout all step sparrings). As rank/experience increases, students begin creating their own sequences, bringing in all stances and techniques for their rank (also constant throughout all step sparrings). As the students begin to create their own routines, the counter attack at the end also changes.

Kacey said:

Like 3 step with a partner, except that attackers and defenders move both forward and backward - so one person would perform 3 punches moving forward and then 3 moving back, while the other would perform 3 blocks moving backward and then 3 moving forward.

Kacey said:
2 step sparring

Created by the participants; there must be 2 attacks; must include 2 steps (thus, 2 step sparring). One person tells the other what attacks to use, blocks those attacks; attacker counters.

Kacey said:
1 step sparring

Created by the participants; one person attacks, one blocks and counters.

Kacey said:
Model step sparring - like 1 step, but done once at full speed, and once in slow motion for technique and focus - so no jump kicks)

Kacey said:
Semi-free step sparring - not orchestrated like previous step sparrings - your partner only knows when s/he is being attacked, but not what with

Kacey said:

Kacey said:
Free sparring

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
I've been thinking about this lately. For me, it allows me to experiment in a safer situation. It also really helped me with my footwork. I'm interested to see what other people get out of it.

Jeff
You learn how to deal with one attack at a time. You can't deal with attack # 2, 3, and 4, if you can't first defend against 1. One steps are a great teaching tool in the beginning.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me, in my art, Tang Soo Do, if the one step sparring, or Ill Soo Shik, have some sort of connection to the rest of curriculum, then I get alot out of them. If they are completely contrived BS created by people who attempted to create a martial art for commercial purposes without any sort of "battle testing" then I would say that I do not get much out of them.

Latest Discussions