What are some good resources on silat techniques, history...etc.?

Kforcer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It seems like a very interesting style, but my only exposure to it has been from American instructors. I was very curious of what its history was and its contemporary state.

It seems to have lots of grappling in it...?

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well that`s kind of misleading because there are hundreds of styles, although you might argue that there are probably less than ten "major" styles. Most have alot of grappling, but some seem mostly striking based. (But there are people who will argue that ALL silat is really based on weapons work.)

Donn Dreager had a good book on Indonesian MA that would probably give you alot of the history and compare some of the major styles, but I don`t know how much technique it would show.

OP
K

Kforcer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is it still widely practiced in Asia...? A Facebook friend had video of a silat competition, I think it was bakti negri...or something like that....? It looked pretty cool.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you mean by widely practiced. At least in Indonesia, all schoolchildren are taught Silat (as a dance) as part of their standard education. At 17 or 18, the student can be taught the combat applications if they wish.

Silat predates Islam in the Malay archipelago but some Muslems have incorporated Silat training as an activity at the masjid/mosque. From what I've heard, not everyone in the region is necessarily in to self-defense, and there are plenty of folks that do train that perfer the more "exotic" foreign arts such as TKD. From what I understand MMA fighting is also becoming very popular, especially among the younger folks.

The styles are widely influenced by the region. The Javanese styles tend to be softer and operate from deeper stances because of the starkly uneven terrain in the region. The Balinese styles show more of a Chinese influence. Some months ago, someone posted up a clip of a competitive Silat group, and what the practitioners were doing looked a lot more like Shotokan than what seems to traditionally come from the archipelago.

Antara

White Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, even in Indonesia proper information about Silat is very rare. We have a 5.2 hectares facility called ‘Padepokan Pencak Silat’ (padepokan is Javanese for large complex) in South Jakarta that was intended as central of silat information and activity. Unfortunately, the complex barely seen any activities (except for wedding party in its main hall), and its library is deserted.

Silat is mainly practiced in kampung (villages), while elite club or fitness centers in downtown are filled with modern MA such as karate, aikido, taekwondo, and recently BJJ. Hence information is scattered, unverified and spread only within closed communities. For example, I live in Bogor, the birthplace of Silat Serak (which I heard is quite popular in US) and have been looking for Sera practicioners with clear lineage for almost four years and only found them recently.

I think the work of Pak O’ong Maryono, one respected scholar of silat and former silat world champion is the only scientific approach ever been conducted by Indonesian. He wrote “Pencak Silat Merentang Jaman” (Pencak silat through the time), a very comprehensive look toward tradition and history of Pencak Silat. I don’t know whether it’s been translated into English or not.

You can find some of Pak O’ong work here.

Salam hormat...

OP
K

Kforcer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys are aware, but a lot of people involved in shoot-wrestling in America, including Erik Paulson's CSW and Nakamura's shoot-wrestling system include lots of grappling moves they attribute to silat.

For example, one of my mentors, Scott Han, is affiliated with Dan Inosanto(sp), and he mixes in a lot of moves he refers to as silat in his teaching.

Its common, it seems, for people teaching JKD-influenced shoot-wrestling to incorporate large elements of silat into the system, or at least, elements of what is attributed to silat.

How much grappling, i.e., takedowns, holds, joint-locks, etc., do you guys think is part of silat....?

OP
K

Kforcer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
\ At least in Indonesia, all schoolchildren are taught Silat (as a dance) as part of their standard education. At 17 or 18, the student can be taught the combat applications if they wish.

Very interesting. Sort of like Korea and TKD...

Antara

White Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is no longer the case. Only some elementary schools still teaching Pencak Silat, and usually with only few active students. Being associated with magic, silat doesn't attract much attention from rational minded youth these days.

Antara

White Belt
Reaction score
How much grappling, i.e., takedowns, holds, joint-locks, etc., do you guys think is part of silat....?

Depend on what silat your referring to...
Benjang and Behempas are completely about takedowns, holds, joint locks, etc ... in short, wrestling with all its attribute.

Cimande, Cikalong, Gulung Maung, Cingkrik, Harimau, and most of silat system incorporate ground fighting in its arsenal, but usually very practical in nature (eye gouge, finger-breaking, biting etc.). However, the stress is mostly on taking the opponent down while you are still standing, hence they employ lots of complicated footwork (langkah).

Blade work silat such as my own Seliwa usually prefer stand up fighting, but we have some 'just in case' techniques on the ground.

OP
K

Kforcer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I am gonna look into Benjang and Behempas ASAP. I've been curious about that for a long, long time! Thank you so much!

OP
K

Kforcer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One thing I think is interesting about silat's grappling is that it utilizes joint-lock attacks standing, on the ground and in transition from standing to ground.

Latest Discussions