What are everyones favorite kata/form?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya Lucy.

Yep, those are the same as the Pyung ahn forms. Same forms, just slightly differnet names. I did three of them. I like them all, but pyung ahn ee dan take the prize :D

OP
T

TangSooGuy

My favorite would be Kong Sang Koon (Kusanku)

I am however also partial to Bassai dai and Jindo

OP
L

Lucy Rhombus

Ooh, and I forgot, my husband and I are just learning one called Seisan. I've wanted to learn that one ever since I saw someone doing it eight months ago. It has a lot of slow, controlled movements and is quite beautiful. This has the potential to be my new favorite.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lucy Rhombus

Ooh, and I forgot, my husband and I are just learning one called Seisan. I've wanted to learn that one ever since I saw someone doing it eight months ago. It has a lot of slow, controlled movements and is quite beautiful. This has the potential to be my new favorite.

Here's a link with someone doing Seisan as well as similar kata you may be interested in:

http://www.uechi-ryu-karate.com/kata/duane_kata.html

Enjoy!

Cthulhu

OP
L

Lucy Rhombus

Thanks much for the link! I enjoyed watching it.

Wow, that is almost 100% different from the way we're learning Seisan. I wonder how katas can differ so much between styles and still have the same name?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lucy Rhombus

Thanks much for the link! I enjoyed watching it.

Wow, that is almost 100% different from the way we're learning Seisan. I wonder how katas can differ so much between styles and still have the same name?

No problem at all. Now try this one:

http://ctr.usf.edu/shotokan/kata.html

Click on the 'Hangetsu' kata video clip. This was renamed from Seisan. Is that more like what you're learning?

Cthulhu

OP
L

Lucy Rhombus

Yes, that one is much closer (but still not the same). What fun it is watching all these kata videos!

OP
X

Xavier329

Choong Moo would have to be my favorite form.

OP
F

Field Cricket

I think that at this moment in time my favourite is Tekki Shodan (Naihanchi). It's just the feeling you get when doing it - the movements leading up to the morote-tsukis just make yelling the most natural thing on earth. :)

Or maybe that's just me being overly aggressive. :)

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have tons to pick from like some people around here. At this point I'd probably have to say the Yang style tai chi that I'm learning. I find it to be a nice way to calm down and help relieve stress via the sort of meditative aspect of it. I've only got a couple of Shaolin forms -- Six Closing Fist, Power Fist, and I'm currently learning First Ambush Fist. I think that when/if I actually get the moves down better, I'd like First Ambush Fist the best of those because it does have some pretty cool moves. They're just also hard to do right now since it's a more advanced form and we're still beginners. :)

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

So far I like HWA-RANG. It is named after the Hwa-Rang youth group, which originated in the Silla Dynasty in the early 7th century. It has 29 movements which represent the 29th Infantry Division, where Taekwon-Do matured.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In Kajukenbo I liked Pinian 6.6 and Kata 7 or "Ha shishi"

In Jun Bao I like "Depressing the Tiger" and "Tiger/Crane"

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Every time my teacher comes to town I have a new favorite form!!

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ppko said:
Nai Hanchi Shodan, Nidan, and Sandan

i Love doing Naihanchi shodan, I know other katas but this one is special to me, partly because its the first one I learned, but mainly because I learned the moves in one class and got it almost perfect in a month. And thats something big for me, because it took me almost 3 months to learn my Tonfa kata (Its pretty long and there are 3 differant versions of it) And it takes me a wile to understand something, but when i understand it, I REALLY UNDERSTAND and can do it on command. Now with Naihanchi Shodan my sensei made a few modifications to his liking, and origonal, with throws me off a bit cause I have done it the traditional way for so long....

The last time I went to a tournament i did shodan and It was perfect (i know cause i saw it on the camera) and I still lost even though the guy I lost to lost his balence and almost fell down, AND told me after he did the kata "Well man, you got this one" and was shocked that he beat me. The guy even wanted to give me his first place trophy, and i turned him down......What i am getting at is that the TKD tourny i went to was all about "flash" HENCE the change in Naihanchi Shodan.....The newer version is still very effective

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't know too many Okinawan Goju-Ryu forms yet. Of the ones I've learned, saifa is the most advanced and coincidentally I one I like the most. It does not have that simple h-pattern feel to it, so common to most beginning kata.

When I studied ITF TKD, I was fond of Toi Gye.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
i Love doing Naihanchi shodan, I know other katas but this one is special to me, partly because its the first one I learned, but mainly because I learned the moves in one class and got it almost perfect in a month. And thats something big for me, because it took me almost 3 months to learn my Tonfa kata (Its pretty long and there are 3 differant versions of it) And it takes me a wile to understand something, but when i understand it, I REALLY UNDERSTAND and can do it on command. Now with Naihanchi Shodan my sensei made a few modifications to his liking, and origonal, with throws me off a bit cause I have done it the traditional way for so long....

The last time I went to a tournament i did shodan and It was perfect (i know cause i saw it on the camera) and I still lost even though the guy I lost to lost his balence and almost fell down, AND told me after he did the kata "Well man, you got this one" and was shocked that he beat me. The guy even wanted to give me his first place trophy, and i turned him down......What i am getting at is that the TKD tourny i went to was all about "flash" HENCE the change in Naihanchi Shodan.....The newer version is still very effective
I like the series for the plain and simple fact that the break downs are endless.

Latest Discussions