Well, that bites...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Teen emerges from ocean with shark locked onto abdomen

Sun-Sentinel.com
5:53 AM EDT, September 14, 2007
Excerpt:

An Oakland Park teen who went swimming at the beach Thursday emerged with a nurse shark latched onto his abdomen.

A well-aimed punch by a Broward Fire-Rescue lieutenant forced the 3- to 4-foot-long shark to release its grip before it could do any serious damage to the teen.

<<SNIP>>

Fire Rescue Lt. Rob Melendez delivered the punch to the shark's nose that forced it to release its grip.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-914sharkattack,0,4366092,print.story

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They brought out the "Jaws of life" to save him from a shark. The JAWS of life...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Shark was tossed back into the ocean and swam away"... I would have had some shark skin boots personally.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Shark was tossed back into the ocean and swam away"... I would have had some shark skin boots personally.
Well yeah that would've been a good thought some 20-30 years ago but sharks (almost all species) are either on threatened or endangered species list. The shark was doing what sharks do... reacting to stimuli and the kid just happened to be there at the wrong time.
The kid is most fortunate that the fish didn't shake or thrash else the teeth would've mangled and or could've disemboweled him. He's also lucky that it was a species of mild temperament than say a bull shark or a tiger, which are known for attacking close to shores and shallows.
Pretty lucky kid and now he's got something to brag about. :D

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
e02_shark04.jpg

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well yeah that would've been a good thought some 20-30 years ago but sharks (almost all species) are either on threatened or endangered species list. The shark was doing what sharks do... reacting to stimuli and the kid just happened to be there at the wrong time.
The kid is most fortunate that the fish didn't shake or thrash else the teeth would've mangled and or could've disemboweled him. He's also lucky that it was a species of mild temperament than say a bull shark or a tiger, which are known for attacking close to shores and shallows.
Pretty lucky kid and now he's got something to brag about. :D

Sorry, but I have to agree with bydand on this one. If I find something trying to have one of my kids for lunch, it will make the transition from endangered to extinct pretty quick. I realize the shark is obeying its instincts.... as a father protecting his young - so am I.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yeah that would've been a good thought some 20-30 years ago but sharks (almost all species) are either on threatened or endangered species list.

Nurse sharks are rather abundant, and commonly fished. They also don't attack much, and have small mouths-they have a bellows like throat, and typically graze by sucking up crustaceans, dormant fish and algae. Their skin, however, was once quite prized as leather-they'd still make a nice pair of boots.....

They're largely nocturnal, and actually rest quite a bit during the day, so odds are good the kid disturbed it somehow....

Of course, it might have been a grey nurse shark, which is a somewhat different matter, but only slightly.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have to agree with bydand on this one. If I find something trying to have one of my kids for lunch, it will make the transition from endangered to extinct pretty quick. I realize the shark is obeying its instincts.... as a father protecting his young - so am I.

Yup. As a father of two, I'd have some new boots and some shark fin soup after that. Ain't no way that fish would be getting away...

Then I would inform my son that the next time he wants to catch a shark that he probably should use a rod and reel...

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teen emerges from ocean with shark locked onto abdomen

Sun-Sentinel.com
5:53 AM EDT, September 14, 2007
Excerpt:

An Oakland Park teen who went swimming at the beach Thursday emerged with a nurse shark latched onto his abdomen.

A well-aimed punch by a Broward Fire-Rescue lieutenant forced the 3- to 4-foot-long shark to release its grip before it could do any serious damage to the teen.

<<SNIP>>

Fire Rescue Lt. Rob Melendez delivered the punch to the shark's nose that forced it to release its grip.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-914sharkattack,0,4366092,print.story
A one knuckle roundhouse?

Latest Discussions