Weight Loss? HELP!

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope, can't go the pill route at all. Never been one who turns to chemicals to do something for me that just a bit more work can accomplish. I mean it is all my wife can do to get me to take an aspirin. Plus with her being an ER nurse and just having lost all her extra weight through diet and exercise, I would never hear the end of it. I am doing good by watching portions and am really trying hard to keep away from the nutritionally empty snacks I really, really like to eat. Already I am sleeping a bit better, so that is a big plus I wasn't expecting.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nope, can't go the pill route at all. Never been one who turns to chemicals to do something for me that just a bit more work can accomplish. I mean it is all my wife can do to get me to take an aspirin. Plus with her being an ER nurse and just having lost all her extra weight through diet and exercise, I would never hear the end of it. I am doing good by watching portions and am really trying hard to keep away from the nutritionally empty snacks I really, really like to eat. Already I am sleeping a bit better, so that is a big plus I wasn't expecting.
Sounds like you're doing excellent. Portion control is the biggy for sure. After awhile it should be a bit easier. One key is distinguishing betweem appetitie (cravings) and true physical hunger. It just takes practice and building a habit of "no."

Glad to see your sleep is improving. If you are snoring and waking yourself up, losing some weight will squelch that, too (most likely). My husband has gained weight and it makes the whole darn bread vibrate (lucky me) when he snores. When he is about 30 pounds lighter, no locomotive. He wakes himself up though he's unaware of it - that equals less than a deep sleep.

Good for you. Sounds like you are doing excellent with no crazy pills, no crazy diets, etc.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As far as diets go, here is one that many people are succeeding with. No crazy stuff. Three meals a day as large as you need them. You can eat a fourth meal if needed. It's called the "No-S Diet."

http://www.nosdiet.com/

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Losing weight requires dedication but is fairly simple.

It's about calories. You need to intake less calories than you burn.

Find out how many calories a day you require to maintain your weight.

Take in between 75%-80% of that. Anything more than a 25% reduction, you'll lose fast early but then the body will go into starvation mode.

Reduce carbs. Eliminate sugar. Hunger is mostly dictated by how full your stomach is. Sugar has a lot of calories per weight.

Eat small portions thru the day.

Drink a lot of water. It helps flush the system, and it keeps the stomach full.

Stick to it. It takes time.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I question starvation mode. For one thing, it hasn't been scientifically proven that the body actually goes into starvation mode and ceases losing weight on low-calorie diets.

During WWII, some normal weight and some obese Jews entered concentration camps where they were fed only 600 calories a day. They lost weight, a lot of it.

During medically-supervised fasting, people are placed on diets of 500 - 600 calories and lose weight for as long as they continue the diet. Even when they carefully increase their calories, they don't stop losing.

Latest Discussions