Wearing Uniforms Outside

S

Shinzu

how do you guys feel about wearing your uniforms to and from training?

i personally dont feel it is right to wear my uniform to class. to me, my training is very personal. therefore i change before and after class.

i understand that for kids it might be different. it is hard for parents to get them there on time, let alone have them dress there. so in that aspect i understand.

also if you are training outside then i think that is ok also.

i just dont think it's proper for people to be walking down the street in their rank and gi.

what are your feelings?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The uniforms on the street draw attention.

Some time laughs, sometimes cat calls and insults.

FOr kids I agree society allows them this option.
Adults ( Adult size kids ) may not wish to do
so to avoid any thing someone might to test them.

Just my thoughts

Rich

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have no problem wearing my gi outside of class. I've never had anyone try to "test" me, but I've had interesting conversations and I've had people join my class because a conversation got struck up. I do believe in following proper ediquette when wearing a Gi outside of a class... Belt drapped around the neck (should only be worn during training, when wearing the uniform but not training in some form or another it should be drapped around the neck) and not wearing the top if at all possible. Just a Tee-shirt.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll agree with leting the kids wear their uniform to class, but I do not like to see them worn in the local grocery store, or the malls. Mom or Dad should have taken the time to go home befor or after class, so the kids chould change.
I live about 100 feet from my school so I will wear my gi bottoms and a t-shirt to and from class, I might even stop to get a coffee along the way. My gi top and my small weapons will be in a back pack along with my belt.
If my students train outside or I have them run they are allowed to leave the gi top off (as long as they have a respectible t\shirt on
Shadow.

OP
F

FLY

I do wear my gi (pants only) to and from class. I bring my jacket and belt with me and put them on after I arrive. I have no problem with quickly stopping at a store on my way to or from class for whatever reason(I drive to class). Nobody has ever said anything or made any gestures etc. to me about it. I don't think that anyone who doesn't already know something about the arts would even realize that my pants are even part of a gi.

I guess I should also point out that I wear a black gi (heavy weight material) and I suppose that the pants just don't stand out as much as someone who would be wearing white ones.

As far as walking down the street on your way to and from class with your full gi and belt on...I can see where Rich is coming from. Some people will just laugh and make fun of things they don't understand. If it bothers you that much, it's not that hard to take off your belt and gi jacket (put a t-shirt on though..hehe) and carry them in a bag. Otherwise, just ignore the comments and be proud of what you are doing:karate:

:asian:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
THanks Fly

I am proud ;~), but I know others have self
esteem issues.

As for why it would be a problem for people in
my class, is that the traditional Gi Pants are
a solid red. ;)

Thanks again

Rich

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I often wear a black gi jacket when I'm out. Both the 'karate' style, and the 'kung fu'. no belts, cords, or sashes though. Its that funny thing, I just like the cut of the things. :)

have done it less since I started practicing an art that uses the black gi, (oh and since the kung fu one shrank in the wash. thats my story, im sticking to it) :)

OP
F

FLY

Originally posted by Rich Parsons

THanks Fly

I am proud ;~), but I know others have self
esteem issues.

As for why it would be a problem for people in
my class, is that the traditional Gi Pants are
a solid red. ;)

Thanks again

Rich

No problem Rich.......IMHO, some of the things that you see people wearing nowadays are a hell of alot funnier looking than someone who is just wearing red pants :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by FLY

No problem Rich.......IMHO, some of the things that you see people wearing nowadays are a hell of alot funnier looking than someone who is just wearing red pants :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey Are you Laughing at me?

or with ME? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know your post made me smile and laugh.

Thanks and have a nice day

Rich

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think I'd feel a bit out of place wearing my full uniform around town. It just doesn't seem right to me, so I don't hang around in public with my uniform on. Exceptions would be if I were part of a performance and had already changed in preparation for it or if I were practicing on my own. In general though I wouldn't wear the whole thing. To make changing easier, I do wear my pants to class, but I change into and out of the jacket (and belt) there. I think as FLY said, I don't have a problem with wearing just the pants because they're black and most people probably wouldn't even recognize them as part of a martial arts uniform.

OP
F

FLY

Originally posted by Rich Parsons

Hey Are you Laughing at me?

or with ME? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know your post made me smile and laugh.

Thanks and have a nice day

Rich

I'm laughing with you Rich.....just thinking about some off the getups that I've see people wearing....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't think I would mind if I saw someone walking in there uniform even though I think they would be trying to get people to laugh at them or something?

I don't know what it is but black gi's look the best.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I too have worn my gi pants once or twice out of the gym. You get a lot of looks when you have the cup on too..:D

But in all my years I never wore the whole uniform to class, just didn't feel right I guess.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to wear my gi (no belt) to class all the time. Now, the rare occasions I go to a class requiring a gi, I just wear the pants and change at class. Why? No reason. Some times you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't.

The only thing I will not do is wear my belt outside of class or some other martial arts-related event. I've had it drilled into me for years that wearing your belt around was an open challenge. Now, it's an old habit. I used to get riled up when I saw students from other systems wearing their belts outside of class, but I've mellowed in my old age. If their system allows it, why should I care?

However, if I see someone with an Okinawa-te emblem on their gi wearing their belt outside of class...;)

Cthulhu

OP
C

Chiduce

Personally, i see no real problem in wearing the gi outside class. If an confrontation was going to erupt by you wearing the gi; i think it would be due more to the environment in which one would wear the gear. I like to see it this way; if the boy scout master's uniform can be worn in public; then the gi is just as appropriate! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
G

GouRonin

Systema has no uniform.

So I guess whatever you are wearing IS your uniform.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Personally, I think I'd feel a bit out of place wearing my full uniform around town. It just doesn't seem right to me, so I don't hang around in public with my uniform on."

What the hell?! You mean all martial artists don't wear their uniform full time?! Ohhhhh...... That's why everyone in my town calls me Captain Karate!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
S

Shinzu

some excellent points of view here.

i dont mind wearing my gi bottoms outside class, but i will not wear my top.

black bottoms do look the best also. some look alot like actual everyday pants.

i feel that my dobak should be treated with respect, just like my belt or training. wearing these items utside would be like showing off, so thats why i wont do it.

OP
G

girlychuks

and a t shirt. My daughter wears her Gi to class, cuz it takes FOREEVER to get little kids dressed.
I will not wear my Gi top outside of class.

What REALLY gets me is that the American TKD schools around here wear thier BELTS around town. At our dojo,we bow in, face the flag, and tie our belts on before class. Then after our workout, we bow out, and untie and put our belts away.

It kinda irks me to see the students from the other school down the street walking around in their belts in the grocery store and gas station. I don't know why. I think it;s more so their mommas can show off what skilled little karatekas their kids are. IT just seems kinds rude to me, like carrying your baseball bat around town after little league practice.

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Our uniforms consist of T-shirts and shorts, both with the school logo on them. It's not usually a problem wearing them outside of school. I've also been known to wear some of my old t-shirts from school when I go the the gym or out for a run.

For BJJ, I sometimes wear the gi pants to class, but I leave the top off until I get there. BJJ gi tops are usually really thick, so it would be uncomfortable to wear it outside of class, unless there was a blizzard I had to walk through...

Latest Discussions