Weapon / Art question

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please explain Keppan.

I think the only living Westerner allowed to teach Katori Shinto Ryu is in Spain. I believe he's recieved his okuden license. Therefore, anyone other Westerner claiming to teach the Katori Shinto Ryu is most likely not a legitimate instructor. I don't think this person is allowed to grade...just teach. This was a few years ago, though. It is possible another Westerner has been granted license.

Cthulhu

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, I believe you're correct about the man in Spain. Relnick sensei has a Kyoshi license, but cannot teach at all of Katori Shinto ryu.

Keppan is a blood oath.

M

Ms J

Traditional Filipino Weapons, Use, and Combinations

The Single Stick: Olisi, Solo Baston.

The single stick represents the Sword: Golok Sundang Kampilan, Kris, or Olisi. The stick is normally made from rattan, Yakal or Kamagong. It is used for thrusting, slashing, blocking, hooking, disarming, locking, choking, takedowns, and grappling. The stick represents a sword in most instances, but because the Filipino people were banned from the use of their weapons, they adapted and used the same skills they had learned already. Using in place the stick or other allowable tools for trade in the place of the sword, then incorporating these new weapons into the art.

The Double sticks, Dalawa Olisi, Doble Baston:

The double sticks again is meant to represent the Sword: Golok Sundang Kampilan, Kris, or Olisi its just now you have two of them at once. Double sticks can still be used in the same manner as the single stick. Using the double sticks helps to develop all the skills that a single stick training will but more. Working with double sticks, helps develop the empty hand techniques that are part of the art, training both hands at once. The Sinawali is one of the double stick drills that train’s the double hand applications, and empty hand flow. This drill requires the weaving of the sticks in a pattern of numbered and set strikes.

The Long stick-Staff, Spear:

the staff today represents the traditional spear: Karasaik, bangkaw, panabas, and Sibat. The spear and staff are very adaptable and versatile weapons. You will find that Most of the techniques used in the single stick are applicable with them, using the same Slashes, thrusts, hooks, and figure eights, and takedowns, you learn with the single stick. Spear, staff, oar, or long sticks range from 3 to 9 feet long and 1 to 5 inches wide.

Tabak Malii, Olisi palad, and Palm sticks:

Training with a palm stick is usually done with two short sticks, one in each hand. One stick is held evenly in the center of each palm. Traditionally, the weapon was made of steel, which included a ring to place your fingers in. The ends were serrated and pointed, and sometimes included bladed edges for thrusting or slashing. Traditionally used for hooking, thrusting disarms, countering disarms, joint locks and presser point striking. Many of the techniques used with the palm stick are used for the closed balisong.

The Single Dagger, Daga, Knife:

Bolo, Kris, Balaraw, Baraw, Punyal, Sundang, Itak, Balisong, Korambit, and Pinute. The dagger is used for thrusting, slashing, ripping and hooking. The dagger is used both offensively, defensively and many techniques against other weapons. A dagger is held in a number of grips, some examples are, the Saber grip, ice pick grip, scalpel grip, hammer grip or the two-fingered saber grip.

The Double Dagger, Doble Daga, Double Knife:

Bolo, Kris, Balaraw, Baraw, Punyal, Sundang, Itak, Balisong, Korambit, and Pinute. The overall combinations of different daggers or knives are interchangeable. For most though two daggers of the same type of dagger is employed. For realistic purposes, though training in double dagger should be done with a mix of different daggers or knives for adaptability reasons. As with the single dagger they are used for thrusting, slashing, ripping and hooking. The daggers are used both offensively and defensively. The double daggers grips can be varied and mixed suited on many factors at the time of confrontation. There are a number of grips used, some examples are, the Saber grip, ice pick grip, scalpel grip, hammer grip, or the two-fingered saber grip.

Espada Ya Daga: Sword & Knife:

Espada Ya Daga is practiced with a single stick or Sword and a single dagger or palm stick. One of the strongest influences left by the Spanish was the art of Eskrima fencing. The Spanish rapier and dagger systems introduced to the Philippines came through war and the defense of the cultures people, because of all the variables the introduction the art from the Spanish had a considerable influence on the development of what we call eskirma today.

Espada Ya daga shows us the adaptability of the Filipino people and how the art of Eskrima-Kali - Espada Ya Daga styling evolved. Many of the techniques that are found in espada Ya daga came into existence because the Spanish brought the early concepts into the country. After its early introduction into the culture, it was then adapted and incorporated into their art form. Drills using the sword and dagger are short range to medium then medium range to long range. The mix of weapons and styling is also used for controlling an opponent’s bladed weapon.

The sword is held in the predominate hand and the dagger is held in the secondary weapons hand or the alive-hand. Many people misunderstand the concepts behind espada Ya daga. Their thinking tends to lead them to believe that because the daga is in the secondary hand, it is the secondary weapon, in actuality is the predominant weapon and why it is In the alive hand. Most opponents will not understand this concept if untrained in eskrima. Subsequently because of this, they will go for your sword hand instead of the dagger or alive hand.

Most untrained opponents will see the sword in your predominate hand as the first and major threat to them. A good eskrmador or eskrimadoris will allow you to go for the longer blade, as you do they will rush you, either to disarm the sword then to, or to, bring them into close quarter range with the daga for the kill.

Throwing Weapons-Tapon-Tapon:

, Sand, Daggers, Spikes, Rattan Darts, Spear-Karasaik, bangkaw, panabas, and Sibat. Throwing weapons such as these can be thrown from hidden locations in a sniping fashion. Alternatively, used for creating time and confusion in a fight. Part of the styling in Espada Ya Daga employs the use of sand or dirt being tossed into the face of your opponent with the end of the stick or sword. This is done to create confusion and to take control of the fight. If your using a sword instead of a stick you would be cutting off toes and feet when you are able too.

Flexible Weapons; Whip-Latiko-latigo, Rope, Garrote, Chain-Cadena, Scarf-handkerchief.

The use of flexible weapons are found throughout the Philippine archipelago. Though no longer used as affluently today as they once were. The Filipino culture have an array of flexible weapons and techniques to call on from there traditional tribal arts.
Most flexible weapons techniques tend to operate in the reverse of other traditional Filipino weapon techniques.

Most of the time though, Eskrima-Kali stylists first learn the concepts of armed combat applications then progress to empty-hand techniques. To learn rope techniques you need to be proficient in empty hand techniques before learning captures, takedowns, and restraint techniques. There is a variety of rope and chain techniques to choose from, depending on the length, weight, and strength of each weapon. A chain, cord, or heavy rope can be used for whipping strikes. Lighter rope and twine can be fashioned into a noose, or used to capture and bind an attacker.

Projectile Weapons-Blowguns, Darts, Sling Shots, Bows, and Arrows.

The use of these weapons declined significantly after the introduction of Spanish weapons, and sword and dagger techniques. The Filipino people still used such weapons for hunting and survival, but for practical reasons when facing war and combat the new weapons and techniques introduced by the Spanish were used more often. Projectile weapons are stealth weapons and work best when hidden and quietly waiting for the prey or from a distance with the bow and arrow. You will rarely find these weapons taught anymore as part of the format in Eskrima-Kali but they are still very useful and adaptable weapons to train in.

Referance: F.A.T.E. Filipino Martial arts Solo Training Manual
Copyright © 2000/2001 F.A.T.E. all rights reserved.

Attachments

• $the barong, archipelago of the philippines.jpg
    $the barong, archipelago of the philippines.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 212
M

Ms J

Please note the last post i did with the information is still in the writing process and is being re-edited and so forth over the next week. When the sections are done for what there being written for, full refrances and cool links will be attached. And many more smithsonian plates.

Being dyslexic sucks sometimes...:(

Ms. J. bows deeply

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be honest, it looked pretty good to me...was very informative. Maybe a little polishing, but still, very good. :)

:asian:

M

Ms J

Yeah that is what i am working on now, and my editor finally had a chance to look at it for my dyslexic stuff. However, I have cut it down some and cleaned it up. The other thing i was sort of sweating over was the Eskrima-Kali i wanted to put Eskrima-Kali-Arnis. And was bouncing back and forth because of Modern Arnis and the association to many of the techniques in Modern Arnis now are non sword based but strictly stick and knife.

There are a number of techniques in Modern arnis that if you did with a sword you would cut your hand or arm off. However, arnis i.e. the actual one word has another association to the core art of FMA. Therefore, i have added it into the text and now everything says Eskirma-Kali-Arnis. In addition, I am putting a technique disclaimer with it instead.

I have also changed some of the strong connections to specific Spanish arts because of the volatile amongst the community itself based on historical fact compared to story or tale..

So its more of a generic article now…. I am much happier with it.

I just sent it to one of my Guro’s though to have a look at in full format with pictures, as it will be formatted in the book it goes into. To check it one more time for lists of weapons and applications.

The actual section this comes out of has eight full pics and is formatted in five pages.

Ms. J….

:asian:

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
In To-Shin Do we train in Stick, Blade, Chord, and Projectile Weapons.

CHAOS

White Belt
Reaction score
As it was explained to me by Soke Don Angier, (google him sometime) the Okinawan government was taken over by the Japanese and all martial traditions and teaching was forbidden. The combat arts of Okinawa are now all "family traditions" which make it near immpossible to research, at least with documented proof. The "sword" techniques were augmeted and taught with the use of farm blades, or machette type weapons. True swords were gathered and destroyed on a wide scale basis by the invading Samurai. The swords that were confiscated were of nearly the same quality as the folded katanas. After all most of the weapons and techniques were highly influenced by the Japanese. The Japanese considered the Okinawan people as "copy cats" in a sense, and were regarded as sub-human. That is why they took all "combat ready" weapons. The Japanese felt like they did'nt have the "soul" to weild such weapons. Now nearly all Okinawan weapons double as a farm implements. The original Okinawan sword was nearly a "carbon copy" of the Japanese katana. But, good luck finding an original, or even a picture of, a true Okinawan "sword".
But that is just one explanation. It did come from a man that was taught by a Japanese imigrant. And his teacher, Yoshida Sensei, put a lot of emphasis on tradition and history. You can also see him on youtube.

Last edited:

CHAOS

White Belt
Reaction score
As for catagorizing weapons and styles...Well good luck, because nearly all traditional systems have nearly all types of weapons. If you want a specific catagory for each style, then you first need to research all the styles. There are only about 1200, or so, documented "styles". And, many of those overlap each other. It would be easier to take the most popular weapons such as the different bladed weapons, i.e., curved swords, straight swords, single edged, double edged, knives, spears, halberds, and so on, and so on. And then the throwing weapons, and the archery weapons, and then firearms, and....well you get the point. You would have to use a finite number to go with on each weapon and do a lot of reasearch on each one you choose. Then create a database for each system that uses each "type" of weapon. Take for instance, Aiki Bugei, which incorporates many "styles". I use this because this is my chosen "traditonal" system. If you look up curved sword, knife, spear, halberd, throwing weapons, subduing weapons, armor, or archery you will find Aiki Bugei/Kenjitsu in the long list of styles listed under those catagories. Either way, you will have to limit the amount of information in each catagory.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
looks like we have another necromancer that likes to rise dead threads from the grave.