We NEED a new button!!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I reflected on an off-the-cuff tangential post that ended up being fairly long — long enough that I was wondering if it may have been considered "off topic," it occurred to me:

We need a new button.

I think a lot of "off topic posts" are just the result of wanting to respond to something and using the easiest method: the "quote this post/reply" button.

Is there any way we could get a "quote this post in a NEW THREAD" button??

THAT, my friends, could end up being the cure to a lot of off topic posts!!

Whattaya think?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a good idea - and there are times it would work great - but I can also see times when it wouldn't, because too many times the thread drifts slowly off, so that each individual post is just a little off the one before, until 5 or 10 or 15 posts down the thread the original topic is lost completely. I don't always notice when I'm off. But I could see it helping in about half the cases.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Haven't seen an addin, but I'll suggest it to the programmers.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could write it, but I would be worried about it getting overused. Usually a conversation is best kept in a single thread, this could lead to a mess...?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could write it, but I would be worried about it getting overused. Usually a conversation is best kept in a single thread, this could lead to a mess...?

Yeah I think that we'd end up with too many split threads and topics dying off quickly.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I reflected on an off-the-cuff tangential post that ended up being fairly long — long enough that I was wondering if it may have been considered "off topic," it occurred to me:

We need a new button.

I think a lot of "off topic posts" are just the result of wanting to respond to something and using the easiest method: the "quote this post/reply" button.

Is there any way we could get a "quote this post in a NEW THREAD" button??

THAT, my friends, could end up being the cure to a lot of off topic posts!!

Whattaya think?

icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Brilliant idea, zDom---admin, can we please do this??

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen this in a lot of other forums and it seems to work great. I'd love to see this feature too.

That may also eliminate the confusion about where topics can go.

Latest Discussions