"We met on the train."

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For those of us using mass transit, here's a fun story for Valentine's Day.

Brenda Drutcher, Rick Tappan

Their station: Shady Grove

How They Met: "Being new to the area in September of 2006, I had not learned yet that people don't talk on the Metro," Brenda says.

Staying in touch: Rick slipped her a business card and promised to tell her about area dog parks for her pooch. That led to three months of emails , and finally a four-hour-long lunch date.

Next stop: The altar! They're getting hitched this June. No word on whether Metro will be involved in the reception.

Ride of your life: "My advice to those people on the Metro that 'don't talk' is to lighten up," says Brenda."You never know when it might be your soul mate you may be missing out on meeting."

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For those of us using mass transit, here's a fun story for Valentine's Day.
It is sad but true... we've lapsed into a society where it's "leave me alone, don't talk to me, don't touch me, don't do ANYTHING with me unless it's at my/your place of business... and so on" ....

I chat up people all the time just to make friendly quick banter... t'ain't skeerd ... if someone has a problem with that ... guess what... it's THEIR problem, and I feel sorry for them.

Thanks for sharing that... lets people know that it's OK to be human and to be friendly.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a very talkative person, and most people who do know me would be surprised to learn that I have no problem talking at length with total strangers, be it on the train or whatever. Most people are happy enough to engage in conversation. The people who aren't make it clear soon enough and I shut up.

On the train you often see the same people again and again.
If you start with 'good morning' when someone sits down across you, you'll generally end up talking. Maybe not the first time because people these days are indeed a bit wary of talking to strangers, but after a couple of times they'll 'know' you.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not a very talkative person, and most people who do know me would be surprised to learn that I have no problem talking at length with total strangers, be it on the train or whatever. Most people are happy enough to engage in conversation. The people who aren't make it clear soon enough and I shut up.

On the train you often see the same people again and again.
If you start with 'good morning' when someone sits down across you, you'll generally end up talking. Maybe not the first time because people these days are indeed a bit wary of talking to strangers, but after a couple of times they'll 'know' you.
My brother takes a two hour long (one way) commute on a train to work (in D.C.) and he says that there is a nice clique of acquaintances on board. Usually enroute home on fridays they have a informal party... they actually get concerned when a person doesn't show up at their usual boarding stop... then are happy to see them when they show up.
I guess when you're with the same people 5 days a week 4 hours a day you get over the "stranger-danger" and just make friends.

Obama talks about having a (LONG OVER DUE) bullet train running across this country... wonder if it ever happens will similar cliques be created as folks commute from NY to LA ?
Be interesting neh?

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had an enlightening experience last week.

I was walking across my apartment complex last Monday night when I saw a middle-aged woman walking her dog. I'm not normally one to engage total strangers, but something prompted me to talk to her. I used the cliche ice-breaker of complimenting her dog, and we made a couple minutes of idle chitchat.

The following morning I rode the bus across town to make a job interview. As I got off the bus I asked a random pedestrian for directions - guess who it turned out to be? As it happens, she works for the same agency I interviewed for, and over the course of a five minute walk she gave me the lowdown on who's who, and current hot issues going on behind closed doors. Last night as I rode home from an event downtown, I happened to sit next to her again.

So I'm thinking there's something deeper going on here - one of us is supposed to learn something important from the other, or we'll have some kind of unique relationship. Why else would we keep getting lumped together at random? I look forward to seeing where this goes.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Obama talks about having a (LONG OVER DUE) bullet train running across this country... wonder if it ever happens will similar cliques be created as folks commute from NY to LA ?
Be interesting neh?

I urgently hope this comes to fruition. I think there may be an extra public push nowadays as people object to .. certain aspects .. of flying. For myself, I simply refuse to fly under the circumstances. Ever again.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Be interesting neh?

It seems like it would be more efficient to see a psychiatrist to take care of whatever is keeping a person from taking a few hours to fly cross country rather than a couple days train ride. Although, it would be nice to take the train ride once to get a closer look at the country.

Hill & Knowlton are doing a great job, that's for sure.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the thing that is causing a person to refrain from flight is not fear of flying but a loathing for the TSA gropers and their choice between having your nude pic taken or be molested, then talking to a psychiatrist won't be much help.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's another fun article.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — When people ask Krisy Plourde and Tom Golden where they got married, their answer will be a rough estimate: somewhere around 46th Street.
Plourde and Golden said their vows aboard an elevated train on Sunday, just ahead of Valentine's Day.
The nuptials, performed by Mayor Michael Nutter, took place on a special train from City Hall to west Philadelphia. While Plourde and Golden, both 28, were being wed in the first car, about 360 other riders were getting a narrated tour of the "Love Letter" series of rooftop murals that parallel the tracks. [ ... ] Performing a marriage on the train was a first for the mayor. Yet perhaps it brought him full circle: Nutter said he started dating his now-wife after an unexpected meeting on the El about 21 years ago.

I've been commuting by bus for about three weeks now, and I've run the gamut of social experiences. There was my future co-worker :whip1: I mentioned above. There was the hornet's nest of Mean Girls who boarded and took over one day when high school let out (never taking that bus again. :rolleyes: ) Yesterday I saw a guy having an erudite bilingual conversation with an unseen friend, flipping between English and fluent ASL. I thought that was pretty cool.

The other night there was a welcoming committee of three adorable 16yo girls occupying the front seats. Everyone got a friendly greeting and sincere small talk. I think that's been my favorite so far.

I've been very impressed with the transit options in my city. It has a population of about 160K, so distances are small. With every trip downtown taking about 25 minutes and buses leaving downtown simultaneously every half hour, that means very short wait times. The bike paths around here are excellent too. So far I'm a happy camper.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the thing that is causing a person to refrain from flight is not fear of flying but a loathing for the TSA gropers and their choice between having your nude pic taken or be molested, then talking to a psychiatrist won't be much help.

There will be TSA, naked body scanning, and groping at the train stations. The safety of Americans will require it. If a plane is taken out by a terrorist, other planes can still fly the route. If a train is taken out, it stops all traffic on the route until the mess is cleared. So, you see, trains will require even more and tighter security measures to keep the flow of freight, and even people, moving.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ride of your life: "My advice to those people on the Metro that 'don't talk' is to lighten up," says Brenda."You never know when it might be your soul mate you may be missing out on meeting."

I don't know what it is, but people who use the phrase 'lighten up' make me stabby.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually met my wife on a plane flight. As she sat down next to me I commented that I was glad she was not a 300lb, fat, sweaty, man. She looked me in the eye and said "Me too." :)

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I`M a fat 300 pound man and I don`t sweat.......I snore. Still, glad you two found each other and it`s worked out.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"My advice to those people on the Metro that 'don't talk' is to lighten up," says Brenda."You never know when it might be your soul mate you may be missing out on meeting."

OTOH, if one already has a soul mate, where's the motivation?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are 7 billion people in the world, odds are very good you have serveral thousand potental partners, who some people would consider soul mates, somewhere in the world. Thats why if you want a relationship, you never give up.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are 7 billion people in the world, odds are very good you have serveral thousand potental partners, who some people would consider soul mates, somewhere in the world. Thats why if you want a relationship, you never give up.

Aren't you going to credit Wilt Chamberlain for this quote?

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are 7 billion people on this planet. That means that even you're a one in a million kind of person, there are 7000 people exactly like you.

:whip1:

Latest Discussions