We are getting some older students! Yippee!

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have wished that more people in their 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's would do Tang Soo Do.

Recently, we had a grandfather of one of my teenage classmates sign up. He's probably around 70. He's quite graceful and jogs the inner circle (shorter distance) when we do laps. He is determined to do this.

The parents of a 32 year old lady signed up. They are probably mid to upper 50's. The dad took a trial class last night. I told him "good push" after class and he said, "Where do I sign up?" :D :D Last night wasn't what I would call a rough class, but it was hot (one person was suffering from dehydration) and we did do several sets of pushups and crunches. We did forms, kicking drills and sparring/one-on-one kicking. So, it wasn't in any fashion an "easy" class, especially for someone trying out or a white belt.

We do have several students in their 50's (at least one is cho dan and several are Il Gups) and I think one fellow is close to 60 and is an Il Gup (he does the sword class, too).

I won't be the oldest ol' fart in most classes. Ha! Seriously, for health reasons and antiaging effects, martial arts is great.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lynne,

Should be fun. We have a variety of ages at my dojo which helps with perspective.

It is nice to speak with folks around my age that understand that as one ages...it just isn't as easy....and they are there to provide support.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lynne,

Should be fun. We have a variety of ages at my dojo which helps with perspective.

It is nice to speak with folks around my age that understand that as one ages...it just isn't as easy....and they are there to provide support.
You're right, it is very supportive to have others close to our age. Our school generally has a team spirit overall.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It helps having people at the same age limits to help you go along. This is great news.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice to see some of the older folks getting involved.
Some times that makes the younger ones work all the harder

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nice to see some of the older folks getting involved.
Some times that makes the younger ones work all the harder
That is so true. I can see the look of surprise on some of the teen's faces. They often lack our endurance and can barely go kicking rounds. I've had them stop and lean over trying to catch their breath. It isn't long before they are pushing very hard. Of course, they are often more flexible.

I think we set an example, too. If we are working hard and taking it seriously, the teens have a tendency to follow suit.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i've actually noticed a large age gap within the federation in general. At the events that I have been at, it seems that we are severly lacking for students in the 20-40 age range. It seems that most are either younger or older. I wonder if this split exists in other organizations as well?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lynne,

Same here, and there are a fair amount of kids too, which makes training interesting and fun. My instructor is hoping to be able to have 2 different class times for the two age groups, once enough adults join.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i've actually noticed a large age gap within the federation in general. At the events that I have been at, it seems that we are severly lacking for students in the 20-40 age range. It seems that most are either younger or older. I wonder if this split exists in other organizations as well?
I would say we have more students in their 30's than 20's which seems odd.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes bit with us it is the age range of 25-40, we just do not get them like we use to. Dam people what is wrong with them.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have wished that more people in their 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's would do Tang Soo Do.

Recently, we had a grandfather of one of my teenage classmates sign up. He's probably around 70. He's quite graceful and jogs the inner circle (shorter distance) when we do laps. He is determined to do this.

The parents of a 32 year old lady signed up. They are probably mid to upper 50's. The dad took a trial class last night. I told him "good push" after class and he said, "Where do I sign up?" :D :D Last night wasn't what I would call a rough class, but it was hot (one person was suffering from dehydration) and we did do several sets of pushups and crunches. We did forms, kicking drills and sparring/one-on-one kicking. So, it wasn't in any fashion an "easy" class, especially for someone trying out or a white belt.

We do have several students in their 50's (at least one is cho dan and several are Il Gups) and I think one fellow is close to 60 and is an Il Gup (he does the sword class, too).

I won't be the oldest ol' fart in most classes. Ha! Seriously, for health reasons and antiaging effects, martial arts is great.

Awesome! They are good role models for others that want to join but use the excuse they are too old. I have trained an 82 year old and I tell the "older" students that when they tell me they are too old. :)