WC hook

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yip man lineages say the Wing Chun is Northern Shaolin is different but not really the original. Its basically northern shaolin. Its known as Orthodox Shaolin or Shaolin Wing Chun.

I know this is an old thread but to clear up a few things.

The Chi Sim Weng Chun Pai is not a Northern Shaolin system but it is a Southern Shaolin system as can be seen in nearly all there forms have a southern flare. Even from the opening of the form.

Although I've only seen Fa Kuen, Saam Bai Fut, Sap Yat Kuen, Muk Jong, Long Pole and the Swords.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think most Wing Chun family lines agree that Biu Tze (or Biu Jee) is what we call the emergency form. It covers hand positions outside the normal lines of Wing Chun thinking...

I think of the word "emergency" to describe a desperate save after you get into "deep doo-doo". In the WT lineage we tend see Biu Tze form more as dealing with having specialized techniques for special situations... such as shat geng sau for longer range, the elbows for close range, the hooks for situations in which the center is obstructed and so forth. In short, it provides techniques to counter the basic techniques... or what one 'Chunner might use to overcome another.

BTW, Zepeda, I checked out your profile and am curious as to what style of WC do you study? ...Also, what style of motorcycle do you favor?

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
simultaneous sideling palm(outdoor) advance step......wicked hook....it works....inside lower gum to counter kick...wicked hook....ow!

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
BTW, Zepeda, I checked out your profile and am curious as to what style of WC do you study? ...Also, what style of motorcycle do you favor?

First : Zepeda - Sifu William Wong - SiGung Moy Yat (5 years)
Currently : Zepeda - Sifu Francis Fong - SiGung Jiu Wan (22 years)

I ride a Yamaha YZF-1000R1 or R1 for short. So I am a sportrider.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First : Zepeda - Sifu William Wong - SiGung Moy Yat (5 years)
Currently : Zepeda - Sifu Francis Fong - SiGung Jiu Wan (22 years)

I ride a Yamaha YZF-1000R1 or R1 for short. So I am a sportrider.

Awesome! If I may ask what do you feel are the fundamental differences between the Moy Yat lineage training curriculum as compared to the Jiu Wan lineage? I know Wing Chun is Wing Chun but sometimes certain training devices or perspectives may differ. Just looking for a comparative analysis, thanks.

I'm also coming from the Moy Yat as well as the Ip Ching line.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome! If I may ask what do you feel are the fundamental differences between the Moy Yat lineage training curriculum as compared to the Jiu Wan lineage? I know Wing Chun is Wing Chun but sometimes certain training devices or perspectives may differ. Just looking for a comparative analysis, thanks.

I'm also coming from the Moy Yat as well as the Ip Ching line.

As you may know, Jui Wan was the only person attested to by Yip Man to having the original Fat San Wing Chun System. They were very close the last 15 - 20 years of Yip Man's life. I'm sure coming from the same line and province had a lot to do about it.

Sifu Fong teaches the forms pretty much in the same order as the Moy Yat System, Siu Nim Tao, Chum Kiu, Mook Yan Jong, Biu Jee, Luk Dim Boon Kwun, and Baht Jam Do. And some of the hand positions are a little different. But the Francis Fong system is more aggressive. He is very dynamic and creative, he doesn't limit his or anyones imagination. He believes that no matter how long you've been studying (training), there is always room to improve and better yourself. He sees himself as a beginner, even though he's been teaching/training for about 44 years. And his student are the same.

I think because he pressure tested his WC on the streets of Hong Kong and New York, he knows how to make it work. Sifu Fong also believes in cross-training in other arts, to help you understand how to make your WC work against (or deal with) other arts and not just WC people. His academy was offering (cross-training) Kali/JKD and Muay Thai in the early 80's, long before the big craze to MMA. The way he teaches WC is the way I believe it was meant to be. Check out his website for details and curriculum.

www.francisfongacademy.com

Latest Discussions