Water Training anyone?

S

Scout_379

I was wondering if anyone else does this in their school. Or on your own.

It's kind of like the polar bear swim, but with a MA twist.

In the middle of winter, say mid jan.-feb., our club goes to a nearby lagoon, meditates on the beach, then practices kata in the cold sea water.

Benefits:
sense of euphoria (endorphins i think)
increase in mental and physical "toughness"
Makes your gi really, really white

unfortunately, the winter water is still pretty warm here in BC
icon9.gif
, I wanna try this out in the east sometime...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As Feisty Mouse puts it - "Gah!"

How deep are you into the water? And what is "warm" to you?

OP
S

Scout_379

shesulsa said:
As Feisty Mouse puts it - "Gah!"

How deep are you into the water? And what is "warm" to you?
ummm....about hip to chest height, but it varies as the kata moves, and as the waves hit. I live on Vancouver island so the water is relatively warm lol.
Zepp said:
Now that sounds pretty hardcore. Personally, it sounds like a better spring or summertime exercise to me. I'm not a fan of hypothermia.
we do a warm up first.
It's really about pushing your limits. Once you've done it, it feels really good and is great for building confidence as to what you can put yoourself through. My club has been doing this for a while now, and nobody has suffered too badly. Of course it is up to you, and if you are too young, you need your parents consent. We have a 9 year old green belter...you tougher than a 9 year old?? lol just kidding! It was kind of funny to watch him float through parts of the kata:rofl:.

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
We do it once a year and its normally freezing cold. We have warm ups on the beach first then slowly work our way in with Adults (and higher grades) at the front, so the shorter you are the more you drown!!!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only in the summer for me. I use both the sea and mountian rivers, but I like it warm when I get out.

Latest Discussions