Was Jesus married?

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Look I could debate this with you two for days. If you have points then point them out. I don't care what you wrote in college, no offense, I take the studied opinions of lifetime biblical scholars from places like Harvard, Standford, etc (click here). You are both REALLY wrong. Jesus said he came to fulfill the law and I have that on the highest authority. Jesus was quoting anything - he was re-stating things. Of course you heard words from the OT - he was completing them and they were all written about him. The 3 day resurrection story was long before Jesus - being foretold like more than 300 prophecies he fulfilled.

The book belongs to Jesus, he is the word made flesh. You are worshipping prologue friend - you say its your book bu you dont seem to know who it is about...strange and sad?

Jesus backed up a literal reading of the Bible so you need to take that up with him when you see him one day. I pray that you meet him today and not tomorrow and on the decision side not the judgement side.

Jason Brinn

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Being an expert Troll, blaspheming the word of God or talking about things you can't back up....its seems to be a triple hit!

WOW!!!

I get to post the same thing twice in the same thread and it is applicable both times

here goes

:anic: oh man...now there a can-o-whoopass I don't think I would open :D

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole concept must be approached spiritually not intellectually. God is spirit so that is the way to understanding. Over and out......

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look I could debate this with you two for days. If you have points then point them out. I don't care what you wrote in college, no offense, I take the studied opinions of lifetime biblical scholars from places like Harvard, Standford, etc (click here). You are both REALLY wrong. Jesus said he came to fulfill the law and I have that on the highest authority. Jesus was quoting anything - he was re-stating things. Of course you heard words from the OT - he was completing them and they were all written about him. The 3 day resurrection story was long before Jesus - being foretold like more than 300 prophecies he fulfilled.

The book belongs to Jesus, he is the word made flesh. You are worshipping prologue friend - you say its your book bu you dont seem to know who it is about...strange and sad?

Jesus backed up a literal reading of the Bible so you need to take that up with him when you see him one day. I pray that you meet him today and not tomorrow and on the decision side not the judgement side.

Jason Brinn

So...the whole of the 'Old Testament' was about Jesus? Fancy that eh. However you aren't deabting with us you are telling us that you are right and everyone else is wrong.
What a person believes it up to themselves, doesn't bother me unless they start taking the piss about my religion, and that's what you are doing.

If it ever turns out I meet your Jesus it will be in the synagogue (where I don't have to die to meet him, classy that wishing me dead) where we will discuss Jewish matters, Jewish Law etc as Jews do. Then we'll have cake and wine, and if he's not married already we'll find a nice wife for him...because that's what we do.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Being an expert Troll, blaspheming the word of God or talking about things you can't back up....its seems to be a triple hit!

Okay then, for starters, please reconcile the nativity stories of Luke and Matthew.

Never mind that the nativity is a later addtion in both instances......:rolleyes:

(Jason, you don't know the first thing about me. I suggest a look at this post :

Early on I earned a degree in religious studies; my father, grand father and great-grand father were all ministers, though they also practiced other trades. I managed to dodge that bullet, and wound up working in commercial nuclear power, earning degrees in mechanical and nuclear engineering, and advanced degrees in nuclear engineering and, more recently, my doctorate in applied physics. I’m a certified firefighter, HAZMAT technician, avid hunter, ultra-marathon runner and triathlete (though hardly competitive; I’m just happy to finish.), fourth-generation “gun nut,” as well as a federally certified ordinance and munitions disposal technician.

Last edited:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Jason Brinn

Wow. This post explains a lot.

I compared different versons of the Bible. Anyone can do this. You cannot support a literal translation and you cannot point to a single version that is authentic. The Bible itself is a political creation of the Roman Empire, Jason. Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you believe what you stated, you're wrong and a person who can read and comprehend can demostrate this.

No need for Ivy League Appeals to Authority at all...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, the translation problem.

If God inspired the writers of the Bible to record his will, why didn't he inspire his followers to translate it correctly? This is a major problem when it comes to the idea of whether Jesus was married. As you've already noted, women would have a different place in the church if this matter could be straightened out. Also, all the priests could finally give up their vow of celibacy...especially if Jesus was getting his groove on.
Is the Truth in the Bible literal -- or is it the underlying message that's been preserved?

I believe that the essential truth of the Bible and of Christ's revelation and sacrifice has been preserved -- even if the literal events have been rather jumbled. In a very loose analogy -- if five people say that someone was shot, but describe different guns... isn't it clear that someone was probably shot? The idea that someone or even some group could have successfully and so effectively created a false religion that so influenced the world is rather hard to credit, believe. Mankind fell away from a perfect union with God in an act of defiance or rejection. Jesus Christ's ultimate obedience and acceptance of death restored and redeemed that rejection.

As a side note, and I apologize, but I don't have time to dig everything up now -- priestly celibacy isn't simply mindless imitation of the belief that Christ and the Apostles weren't married. It's about sacrifice, and about being free to devote their lives to service, among other things.

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And what Bible verse do you base that upon?

EXACTLY - now you're thinking Elder. The entire Bible speaks to almost every aspect of Jesus's life; his adopted father, mother, half sister and half brothers but NOTHING of his wife! It is not that he couldn't have had a wife - having a wife is not sinful it is the fact that the scriptures would have mentioned something so special yet didn't. This all stems from people who want to humanize Jesus - they don't like and don't want to admit that he is the son of God with all power and authority the worlds only chance to God and perfect free sacrifice.

Jason Brinn

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know I have an educated understanding from studying the time thats it. Jesus was/is not Joshua Bar Joseph. You don't know what I think messiah means because I haven't stated that yet - unless you can read minds. NO ONE said the things that Jesus did, if you think so then you are mistaken or deceived.

Jesus said he is THE ONLY way to God. Jesus said he is GOD. I am pretty sure that's new to Judaism - at least the priests of that time thought so. Nothing in scripture has been changed by anyone EVER - unless you'd like to prove that and then you'd be the first since they were written 2000 years ago.

Judaism uses our books. I can't explain something to someone arguing about how they know it already - your cup appears full.

No -- historically, Christianity uses Judaism's books. Christ was the fulfillment of Jewish prophecy and the law -- to a Christian. To others, he was a prophet. And to at least some, I suppose, if he existed, he was on heck of a huckster. I know what I believe -- but I can still be respectful towards what others believe.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
EXACTLY - now you're thinking Elder. The entire Bible speaks to almost every aspect of Jesus's life; his adopted father, mother, half sister and half brothers but NOTHING of his wife! It is not that he couldn't have had a wife - having a wife is not sinful it is the fact that the scriptures would have mentioned something so special yet didn't. This all stems from people who want to humanize Jesus - they don't like and don't want to admit that he is the son of God with all power and authority the worlds only chance to God and perfect free sacrifice.

Jason Brinn

Really? The Bible speaks to His entire life? I only recall a handful of incidents from childhood. Nothing explaining his young adulthood or what He did; we presume He was in his 30s when he began his public ministry. Honestly, I'm not really sure where they get his age at the beginning of His public ministry.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is by faith, is a hard concept to understand, let alone explain.

From a martial arts perspective, try to explain principles, when they are something you must feel. You can be taught principles through head knowledge, but that does not give understanding. So it is, with faith.........

I don't mean to interrupt the conversation, but I was asked to share...........

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Really? The Bible speaks to His entire life? I only recall a handful of incidents from childhood. Nothing explaining his young adulthood or what He did; we presume He was in his 30s when he began his public ministry. Honestly, I'm not really sure where they get his age at the beginning of His public ministry.

Luke 3:23 - Jesus was 30 when he started his ministry.

We know of his birth, his childhood, that he worked with his father until he was 30 and then preached for 3 years before being crucified on the cross for the sins of the world.

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No -- historically, Christianity uses Judaism's books. Christ was the fulfillment of Jewish prophecy and the law -- to a Christian. To others, he was a prophet. And to at least some, I suppose, if he existed, he was on heck of a huckster. I know what I believe -- but I can still be respectful towards what others believe.

What should matter is twofold;

1. Who did Jesus say that he was?
2. Who do you say that Jesus was?

How you answer these questions determines everything.

Christianity doesn't use Judaism's books. Judaism uses the story and prophecies of Christ to create a religion around God's law. Being a Jew will not save your soul according to the Son of God.

I respect others rights to believe what they want, I also respect others souls enough not to placate them when they are wrong about eternal matters. Jesus is the Son of God and the only remission for sins and justification unto God and his law.

Jason Brinn

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jason, stuff like you posted is why religions get a bad name. You believe what you believe and that is all well and good. The bible was written by Jews. Like it or not, that is the truth. The books in the new testament were put in there by political decision. There were books much more popular in history that never made it into the bible. The "good book" is also full of contridictions and instructions that are not relevant to todays life, some of which we as a society even find odious, such as instructions on how to sell a daughter or when it is okay to kill a slave. Despite that, if Christianity's message is what you believe that is cool. The message of compassion and being saved is indeed a powerful one. However, these attacks on other ways of seeing the world are base and just indicate unconfidence in your own beliefs. You keep sounding the horn of your own rightiousness and perfection just like every other religious zealot of any other religion.

"What does it matter if my nieghbor believes in 20 gods or no gods? It doesn''t take coin from my pocket. It doesn't break my leg." -Thomas Jefferson

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NO OTHER book in history comes close to the authenticity of the Bible.

This may be the least accurate statement ever made on MartialTalk...and that's saying something.

What do you mean by this? It's of unknown authorship, written decades after the death of its main subject by a variety of individuals of unknown motivation, probably based on missing intermediate sources (most notably Q), and scholarship clearly shows how it evolved from hippie-style nature philosophy through the 30s CE to more politically-defensive in tone by the 50s CE (as Jesus' followers were persecuted) to apocalyptic and supernatural in tone after the destruction of the second temple in 70 CE. Add to that the near-absence of contemporaneous evidence of the existence of Jesus of Nazareth from non-Christian sources and you the large number of internal consistencies and the Bible's assembly by committee hundreds of years later and you have a serious authenticity problem.

How is this book more authentic than something written by, say, Plato--The Republic, maybe?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Too funny.
"authenticity of the Bible." is pure wrong. 300+ translations. Meanings vary, whole sections are omitted, etc. It was assembled by committee on orders of an emperor to standardize a rising faith for political reasons. It is full of contradictions, later day political reworkings, and some parts supposedly written by those with 'first hand knowledge' show a surprising lack of familiarity with local geography and politics. To say the Christian Bible is authentic because it says it is, well, believe what you want to.

:p-opcorn:

I've spent half my life researching religions, faiths and what not. There is so much wrong here...I'm just going to sit back, munch some popcorn, and relax.

Namaste.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The entire Bible speaks to almost every aspect of Jesus's life; his adopted father, mother, half sister and half brothers but NOTHING of his wife! It is not that he couldn't have had a wife - having a wife is not sinful it is the fact that the scriptures would have mentioned something so special yet didn't.

The Bible as we know it came together during the 300s CE. Choices were made and there were arguments over what should and should not be included. Who knows what books--on the adolescence and young adulthood of Jesus, say, information concerning which is notably missing in the Bible (and which could have included a marriage)--may have been lost due to their lack of inclusion? Look at the discoveries we have made in the past hundred years--the Dead Sea Scrolls, the 'wife' fragment--that reflect other writings that we knew nothing about until relatively recently. We can't possibly know what we're missing about Jesus and his life and teachings. Look at what is not in the Codex Vaticanus Codex Sinaiticus (e.g., both lack Matthew 5:44 Matthew 5:44, to name two examples) but is in the Bible as we know it.

Political decisions were made. Who knows if some parts were excised because they didn't fit the desired narrative? Unless you have a (proto-)Bible from about 33 CE, you can hardly claim that lack of mention in the Bible is anything more than lack of evidence. The Bible was pulled together more than 300 years after his death in a largely illiterate age when papyrus writings would not have been prized by the average person inheriting it from a great-grandfather who was a member of the Jesus movement.

Christianity doesn't use Judaism's books. Judaism uses the story and prophecies of Christ to create a religion around God's law.

I can't even process this. It seems like you're denying the existence of Judaism. I don't get it.

Latest Discussions