warrior class

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Most of these examples aren't indicative of a "warrior class". You might be trained a warrior or choose to become a warrior, but a warrior class indicates that you were born a warrior. No ifs or buts, you were a warrior whether you wanted to be one or not.

I can think of two examples of this. The samurai of Japan and the kshatriya of India. All samurai, both men and women, were trained in the martial arts. Hagakure (popularly known as the "book of the samurai") says that "the way o the samurai is in death". Kshatriya had a similar philosophy. Every kshatriya was trained in 27 different martial arts, each focusing on a different aspect of combat (armed and unarmed). These people spent their whole lives learning martial arts and, in my opinion, there have not been better fighters nor is there likely to ever be.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
"Quantity has a quality all of its own."

If that is in reference to the mongol "hordes" then you are quite mistaken. The mongols were often outnumbered in their battles, it was their superior tactics, strategy, and particularly logistics that allowed them almost complete dominance, not numbers.

Lamont

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
WLMantisKid said:
Aye flatlander! I forgot about the Native American Warrior. The superstitions and beliefs made them really cool.

Don't believe all the crap you get from the movies. The average "brave" was much like anyone else who fought in any military... doing their job. He had a role to play, and he didn't sit around waiting for "Father Eagle" to lead him. He had a knife and an enemy...and he brought the two together. Besides, if you are talking "warrior class"..few Native American peoples had them. In general, they were every able bodied man...and often women.

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
Who do you think had the best warrior class. The Roman Empire, The Ancient Greeks, or the Samurai? give me your opinions because i have no clue.
None of the above.
I pick the "Poor Knights of Christ" AKA: The Knights of King Solomon's Temple. AKA: The Templars.

Again: Don't believe all the hype. IF you study their military exploits (not their tabloid like exploitations) it appears to me that they were one of the best all around military classes ever.
Could have bought Europe
or
just taken it.
but they didn't.

your Brother
John

OP
C

Cyrus

Chrono said it before I the spartans were quite formidable not to mention the extremes they went to make sure that every soldier/citizen was the healthiest and best "bred" as possible. Although i don't agree with they're methods at all none the less they were part of history.

Side note- if your not familiar with they're "methods" let me explain slightly
1: They would often get rid of any child that seemed to look or act diffrent than any other in society example if your childs head didn't look quite round it was a good enough reason to put him/her to death.
2: If you lost a limb or had any kind of deformity 90% of the time you were put to death because you were not fit enough to be in spartan society ..as it seems.
3: Just about every male was made to learn to use a weapon I believe during a ceartain period it was mandatory to join the growing armies of the spartans and server in it for a ceartain amount of years if not made to for the rest of your life.
4 They were made to learn to work together as a team. Anyone who didn't work together as a team was either banished or beheaded as an example the latter happened more often than the other.
5: If I remember correctly the spartan army was one of the hardest to "gain rank" in because of the high standards that every spartan was already assumed to be able to perform. War for them was often more to prove that they were the more "superior" race of humans.

OP
C

Chrono

Cyrus said:
4 They were made to learn to work together as a team. Anyone who didn't work together as a team was either banished or beheaded as an example the latter happened more often than the other.
If I remember correctly, they were also encouraged to practice homosexuality because it enhanced their comradery.

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Native american nations can differ entirely from one another. One can't lump them all together. It isn't like the movies, sure, but there were peoples for whom war (not like total war, more like low level guerrilla fighting) was the ideal condition to prove manhood and gain status. The word Comanche comes from the Ute word Komantia, meaning one who wants to fight me all the time. This really pisses off some anthropologists who want to portray pre contact native americans as peaceful happy people living in harmony, etc. etc. and one more thing, I'm not real PC, but "their superstitions made them really cool" come on, man, those are deeply held, alive beliefs, that a lot of people still hold. Native Americans don't just belong to history, or to movie westerns, they're still around, and their religion isn't superstition, its their religion.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Chrono said:
If I remember correctly, they were also encouraged to practice homosexuality because it enhanced their comradery.

No, that would be the Thebans. Do a search for "sacred band."

Lamont

OP
C

Chrono

Blindside said:
No, that would be the Thebans. Do a search for "sacred band."
Well, it has been a while since I saw that documentary. But, I could've sworn that's what they said.

Latest Discussions