walk away

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was talking to a very close friend of mine out in California and he was so upset with all the politics in MA today he said he was walking away from it and it made me think can one really ever get away with just walking away altoghether it's not like you can just stop and forget about all those long night in the Dojaang and all the techniques you ever learned so can you truely walk away?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found it was not so easy to walk away and I missed the camraderie and the sparring the most in the two months I was out. Plus practicing a martial art truly becomes a way of life, ingrained into you like brushing your teeth. Your friend will notice something missing in his/her life. I practiced at home but it really wasn't the same, although I practiced for my own individual progress. I could do it for awhile but after a time, I need something to keep me motivated. Plus, doing it by yourself is hard-no support structure, not much room to practice, no instruction/correction if you go wrong and there are many distractions at home.

Can your friend find a new dojang or start his own school? Those were my alternatives too and neither were good options. TW

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you can walk away. That doesn't have to mean that you quite training, just that you don't train for money, prestige, popularity, politics.... you train to train. You train for a goal of application instead of ego or social strokes.

When I was a teen I quite training because of one of those 'crisis of consciences' that can happen during those formative years (heh, as if I am 'done' forming now....). I was training with a 'garage group' at the time and really missed it after 6 months or so. Going back was a great lesson in humility because it was worse than the first time. This time I had all these expectations and assumptions because of the "I use to be able to..." mentallity to overcome.

K

KenpoNoChikara

If it someone who has been seriously training, on a day-to-day basis, I suppose it depends on the person...a 2nd degree black belt obviously won't forget all that they have learned and experienced, no matter what. However, a green belt, (for example, no offense to any green belts here :) ),who comes to class once a week, and practices even less then that, dosen't care about what they are learning...I've seen plenty walk away, forgetting about everything they have been taught.
To sum it up, if it's someone experienced, who cares alot about the art itself...I think it's possible to walk away, but it would be very hard, despite their reasons.
I know no matter how bad things got as far as politics, etc, got to be, I could leave the perticular dojo if it came to it, but never the art.

Respectfully, kenponochikara

S

Shurikan

Once it is in your blood you can never walk away from the Art, you may leave the dojo or training but you can not stop thinking about it, as it is apart of you.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm, I can certainly understand the frustration with the politics and such going on in martial arts, but I dont think walking away is going to change anything, and only hurts the one doing the walking. I dont know if I could leave my school, at least not my sifu. I could leave the position of authroity I hold at the school, and I could leave the relationship my sifu and I have created, but I dont know that I could just walk away knowing he still has so much left to teach me, or knowing there is still so much left I could learn from him.
Its obviously a person issue, each person would have to face when it presented itself, but I personally dont think quitting will really solve much of anything.

7sm

T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

I faced this a year ago when I was in Soo Bahk Do. The master frustrated me so much I had to leave, but I didn't leave MA. I start TKD.

A couple months ago I faced this again when I was having knee trouble. Fortunately my knee problem wasn't that serious but it did get me to weigh my options.

I reminded myself that I got into TKD for my health. If TKD adversely affects my health I will walk away, but I won't walk far. I will return to Tai Chi.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, he could walk away, but if he's already been training and its something that he enjoys, then why would you want to walk away?? No matter what you do, be it martial arts or a job, there is always going to be politics.

Rather than get involved, as hard as it may be to avoid, just stay focused on the training. Easier said than done?? Yes, but like I said, staying focused is alos a big part of the game!

Mike

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shurikan said:
Once it is in your blood you can never walk away from the Art, you may leave the dojo or training but you can not stop thinking about it, as it is apart of you.
Have to agree. When I lived in Lexington, KY, I trained, but then moved an hour and a half away. I continued to drive it once a week, but it got to be too much, so I had to walk away. About a year ago, I found a teacher of the same style in my hometown and he let me catch up and continue at my rank that I had earned in Lexington. I thought about it all the time, so it truly was a part of me. If I were to quit again, being a little older, I would still practice what I've learned on my own.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The politics really don't anger me...I only strive to be my best and If I feel liek i did my best i am satisfied...now at tournaments...I will play be there rules..cause well...its not my tournament....but the pride of beating them by there own rules...WOW what a feeling.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate politics. I can't walk away from martial arts at this point - ever, I think. This devotion needs more people who don't do politics - so, leaving won't help the art. Although it can hurt the person.

Curious dichotomy.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Politics are everywhere any group of (civilized) human beings get together for a common purpose/goal/WHATEVER!
Since I've never been enrolled (officially) in a formalized school settings, politics in MA, I've never had to deal with or even contemplate. Politics, I've learned exists everywhere... yea even unto here with the administrators of MT. When you have people who make decisions that will affect others... you got politics. It can be a good or a bad thing... it depends upon the people. It always has and always will.
The caving community in the state where I live has a political sector to it. For years I mainly avoided it for the simple reason (like you) I just hated politics. However, years on down the road I found if I wanted to get something done within that community or if there was a project that needed to be done then I had to get involved politically. I was even an officer a few times. Now I'm not, now, I'm just a regular guy that goes caving whenever. But when I want to get something done or need something from the community... at least I had the involvement (which was a good experience... because they were all good people with little or no ambitions towards their own personal agendas) that helps "grease the wheels".
You can, IMO walk away from it without ever leaving the dojo. You have to take care of yourself first and keep the focus on what is important to you.
It's hard because you have friends (and enemies) that are involved politically. There is a way around it, by simply not "hearing" the crap that is sometimes associated with the politics you detest so much. Some guy is spouting off about this and that, and it's a "political rant" you can listen (non-committedly) and just nod your head that you are paying attention and just let it drift right out the other ear.

Best thing I found to do is to not expect too much and keep doing what I do best... being myself. I don't mess with the politics unless I need to and then get back out and keep on keeping on. It's as complicated as you make it.
:asian:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look in the archives for a similar thread - I think it was titled "Throwing It All Away".I have restarted my ma training three times due to not being in the right place at the right time for me. However, I took my previous training with me, retaining what worked and discarding what didn't work. That, along with my love of ma, has kept me training. I guess my conclusion would be that you can never really walk away from ma if you truly feel it to the core of your being.

Tell your friend to ignore the politics, difficult as it may be. He's hurting no one but himself by leaving.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I was talking to a very close friend of mine out in California and he was so upset with all the politics in MA today he said he was walking away from it and it made me think can one really ever get away with just walking away altoghether it's not like you can just stop and forget about all those long night in the Dojaang and all the techniques you ever learned so can you truely walk away?
Politics is an excuse, not a reason. I think there is more to it than being fed up.
Sean

Latest Discussions