W. Hock Hochheim

OP
B

BRAM

Ok I'll bite..I know I know..this is really a joke..a sarastic question? a rhetorical.... but I'll bite..
Yes..thats an individual fee..I'm sure of that...
$125 per person...
I'm sure Hock gets a normal fee for 2 days of his time...
hes certainly not teaching for $125...ROFL...
Jim, Kelly, Mike, Steve, Ernie...whomever ..we do get our full fee per day plus expenses...and the individual entry fees help pay our fee and location costs and advertising costs..etc etc...
no we are not cheap....

for example:
RIDDLES are $900-$1800 per person..
Water 'n Steels are $600-800 per person...
Beach Blades are $600 per person...
Price range is for specific type of instruction or course...
yes..it includes food and room for 2 days...no travel or hotels on either side of seminar..nor required training equipment...

OK.. I think I answered that politely and without undo sarcasm...
right?
Really its worth going!....

OP
R

redfive

I have trained with Hock since 1995, when he was still a Denton Tx. police officer. I have two black belts under him and have two other black belts in two other systems. I have traianed with a lot of people over the years, and Hock is not one of the best, but the best. He added reality to the first two systems I studied and showed me what realy works and what does not. He has real life experties, and has faced men with knives and other impact weapons. He teaches reality and reality only. No fluff, no flare, no fancy B.S. flashy cool looking crap. He has studied many diffrent systems, and takes the best of all of them to create a very effective combat course or method, but not a system. He is not bound by style or tradition or politics and is under constant evelution of his methods. As for his price, well you get what you pay for. To me my live is worth it. He has a way of simplifying techniques. Where one instuctor may take a year or so to teach a set of locks or disarms, Hock can do it in a matter of hours. He is one of The best instructors around and every one should take the time to see and train with him. He has something to offer to everyone, no matter what system or style you happen to be. To him its a matter of servival, anything goes. "Cheat first , cheat in the middle and cheat last." " If you find your self in a fair fight, you did not prepare well enough ahead of time." Hock is not for the squemish or the people who are of high moral conduct when engaging in combat. Fighting is a dirty, filthy, bloody buisness. Hock will teach you how to win or just servive, even how to tuck your tail and hall *** to fight another day. Hock has tought me much and in my opinion is worth every cent of my money and time. by the way his top instructors are some of the best in there fields, weither its in the arnis/kali/knife area or jujitsu sytems. even combat handgun/shotgun trainingers, bodyguard/bouncer instructors.Sorry about my spelling.

Your friend in the Arts, Redfive

OP
R

redfive

Ihold a Level 10 or 1st Black in the: Archipelago Combatives
Unarmed Combatives
and currently working towards my Knife Combatives cirtification, which is why Hock cought my attention to begin with. He first was teaching the Presas style systems. I was in Modern Arnis at that, time with Anding De Leon, who was one of Remy's students in the Philippines. Hock added a lot to what I new by showing Ernesto's system and more of Remy's. His knife work was great. He later formed the Congress of American Knife Fighters. but there were some people who wonted stick work, some wonted only hand to hand So the Congress started to branch out. All the courses are specialized in a way, but are all entertwined. the knive course addresses empty hand attack and impact weaponds. The Arch. course addresses stick on stick and knife and stick on empty hand. The hand to hand is just that, but addresses knive threats and impact weapons. then you add in the Doce Monos course and some hand gun and rifle threats and you have a full meal.

your friend in the Arts, Redfive

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you see as the differences between Mr. Hochheim's knife work, Remy Presas', and Ernesto Presas'?

OP
R

redfive

Hock uses the blade work of Remy and Ernesto and techniques from Silat, and many military based techniques. Plus what he learned form his stay in the JKD world, Kenpo and Jujitsu, Akijitsu styles and his police work. He will be the first to say that all systems have there good and bad or not so practical techniques. those he leaves out. So he does not teach any one method, but what he feels is the best of. As for Remy and Ernesto, I have never met or trained with Ernesto. But I have trained with many of his students. In my opinion Ernesto seems to be more aggresive and straight to the kill,and teaches more blade and bolo. Remy is more passive and tought a lot more empty hand, but when Remy would stay with Anding, they would work with the bolos and do alot of espada y daga. So they both have equal knowlage in the knife fields. Hock teaches a more spontanious knife method. more ambush style deffences and counters. for enstance one person will attack with a knife while the other has to deffend and get his knife out and counter. or parry and quick draw his combat folder. then jam an opponent up as he tries to draw a knife. So its more real world, street training. not just training were you are always squared off with an opponent, both of you ready to go. But this is all from my perception and other people who have trained with all of the above my say different. At different times and different places, different things are tought. They are all truely the best of the best and you cant go wrong with any of the three.

Your friend in the Arts, Redfive

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do Modern Arnis and indeed there are vestiges of the Filipino dueling traditions in it, though there's also a great deal of practical techniques.

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

I have seen Hoch's stuff and trained with some of his guys. I am nto very impressed with what I have seen. But to be fair, there is very little that impresses me anymore.

I guess if you don't have access to anyone better, (which is true for 999,999 out of a million martial artists) then his books, videos and seminars are worth picking up. The guys who are really good don't tend to run video black belt tests or do open seminars.

Latest Discussions