vunak w/ straight blasts

e_speedygonzales

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
should the straight blast be incorporated with jxd or any type of fighting...i've watched his video but it still seemds that its a little too risky to use in a fight...has anybody else seen this video? what did u think of it?

NARC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I drilled the straightblast manytimes and it does work! Have used it in sparring too. Great drill, anytime you can literally do the 50 yard dash straight at someone while pummeling them with your fists and then ending up slamming them with a few elbows and a headbutt it's a "good day".

Make sure the assailant uses a good motorcycle helmetfor protection!
Here's Vu Kneeing, eye gouging.....

Attachments

• $montage.jpg
    $montage.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 375

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do it all the time in the PFS school at which I study. There is definitely a time and place for it. Someone good at it can really drill those punches. Remember that, indeedm it's an entry for the clinch and HKE.

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
Works pretty well on my friends who don't do JKD as well. Mostly TKD, so no take down reactions or knees.

I guess, try to get a feeling for how your opponent may react, and judge what's useful.

This is one of the ideas of JKD, adapt. You wouldn't want to outbox a boxer or out kick a kicker. You outbox the kicker and outkick the boxer. Similarly, you straight blast the stand up/kicker

NARC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Works too with BJJ/MMA take a look at the UFC Ultimate Knock Outs 1&2 DVD and the match is between Vitor Belfort v. Vanderlei Silva, if I recall correctly....

Belfort does a decent "blast" on him into the cage.....

Attachments

• $vitor_belfort.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 355

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, it is very effective!! There have been a few fights with Vitor in which he used this to his advantage.

Mike

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
Vitors' blast is a little different from the PFS blast. The PFS blast (as I was taught) was vertical fist chain punching while running, where as Vitors' is sort of like left and right crosses while running.
Make sense?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marvin said:
The PFS blast (as I was taught) was vertical fist chain punching while running

That's pretty much it, though 'running' may give some people the wrong idea. It's the word we use, though.

NARC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Same here (Chain punching, Rolling Fists) maintaining centerline with forward pressure etc..., though Vitor's different per se it's effective for sure!

Attachments

• $vunak.jpg
    $vunak.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 336

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
NARC said:
Same here (Chain punching, Rolling Fists) maintaining centerline with forward pressure etc..., though Vitor's different per se it's effective for sure!
I find I use Vitor's style SB more now.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Canb someone expand on the difference between the two ways of doing it? Is it just WC punches vs. boxing-style crosses? Crosses seem to not be in the line of the motion...but would be more powerful.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright, all try and give a breakdown of the belfort / boxing blast:

Starting with a left lead, throw a right cross

You step forward with the right as you throw a left cross

switching back and forth.

The timing and the set up are what is important, the hands hit as the foot lands, and you do not initiate this until the guy is hit and stunned. Generally you do not want to throw more then 3-4 punches this way as the longer you are moving forward the more likely he will angle off and you'll be in trouble. The exception would be if he is really hurt and you are driving in too finish.

The punches come from the forehead, and back, you got to keep covered as you are moving straight forward and can easily have this turned against you.

A slight variation is where the right foot only steps up to about where the left is and you throw a left hook instead of a cross, alternating hooks and crosses.

A wing chun style blast I have seen a few ways, generally there are more punches a lot faster driving straight up the center. (3 to a step?). while not as powerful the idea is more the number of punches doing the deed rather then the power of each. The punches come more from in front of the chest and follow almost an eliptical path.

I'd imagine there is some Wing Chun person here that will correct that, as it's been a while since I was shown this and never trained it much...

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
I've actually done a straight blast after three months of RAT training vs a boxer with three years of experience. After my opponent broke one of my ribs with a hook, he followed up with sort of a looping punch at my head, sort of in between a hook and a straight lead punch. I elbow smashed his fist--mind you, this is after elbow destroying his fist about ten times with no effect (he just ignored the pain to my horror). But on this punch, the stars aligned I guess, and all I noticed was his eyes, for a split second, widened in pain.

I immediatly straight blasted him, and hit him about 7 times in the face in one second. There was no clinch because he was blasted onto his back. He slowly stood after a few seconds, and blood was streaming down his nose--that was the end of the fight, I just walked away from it.

No holding back, bare-knuckled, real. I'm a believer in the straight blast--but I had to wait a long time (and got my ribs pummeled) before I unleashed it--and that is the right word--UNLEASH. If you don't commit to it, if you don't risk everything, it won't work.

Dare Devil

White Belt
Reaction score
I prefer the more traditional straight blast. Maintaining a posture that more closely resemble the on guard makes it easier to control the blast and avoid counters such as the double leg takedown. Using the chasing step is much more precise than running, plus it allows you to transition to other tools more easily.

One thing to avoid, IMHO, is the circular rotational blast that many perform whilst attempting the jik chung chuie. Keep the punches straight, aligned and hard and you have a real threat to your opponent.

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
I prefer the more traditional straight blast. Maintaining a posture that more closely resemble the on guard makes it easier to control the blast and avoid counters such as the double leg takedown. Using the chasing step is much more precise than running, plus it allows you to transition to other tools more easily.

One thing to avoid, IMHO, is the circular rotational blast that many perform whilst attempting the jik chung chuie. Keep the punches straight, aligned and hard and you have a real threat to your opponent.

I believe Mr. Bruce Lee found that the traditional wing chung "blast" was too slow--even if you charge someone with the more modern blast, they can still back-pedal away, and avoid most of the hits (sometimes).

Yes, I think sometimes people get too circular. I like the punch to come in at a slightly descending arc (starting at chest level), and circle more down on the return as the next one arcs out. If it's too straight, doesn't that feel unnatural, and isn't it more slow. I hear what you're saying, too much circle and it gets sloppy fast.

Zaose

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The SB is a powerful tool for sure. Vitor's is a "Boxing Blast" and I heard Bruce used it as well. Tim Tackett said there are more than a few blasts Bruce taught.

A tip to help you be more successful: It must be SET UP properly. I hear and see a lot of people trying to use the SB as an entry - that may work sometimes (anything can) but if you set it up and then "unleash" (great word!) it you'll be more effective.

Also make sure that there is constant forward pressure. If you are looping then you do not have CFP - Just as one fist clears the other should be slamming into him so that there isn't any "lag" or non-pressure.

Here's a good training tip to make sure you have CFP:

Go up to a heavy bag and extend your punch so that it moves the bag away, now begin your SB, if the bag moves towards you at any point, then you did not have CFP. Make sure your punching hand/arm/etc is driving straight into the bag, letting the hand that already hit be the one to clear the line (this assures you avoid looping).

This is just a drill obviously, since there is no footwork involved. Footwork is extremely important to transfer force and really "drive home" the CFP, still, this drill will help your upper body get the CFP down.

If you have a training partner, have him hold a focus mitt with one hand with his other hand behind it to support it. Now SB as he backs up. He should be putting pressure forward on the mit so if you do not have CFP the mitt will fall towards you and he'll feel it - he can then tell you how you did on your CFP.

As a progression, he can change tempo on his retreat (so you have to fit in) - he can also change lines, bob and weave, etc just as a real fighter may do so you can better "track" your opponent.

Just some thoughts on the SB. I love the SB as you can see :)

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Despite a lot of practice, I was never able to get the power lines right for this movement. My blast was always pretty wimpy.

Latest Discussions