Voice Over IP

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this? Voice Over IP (VoIP) If you are familiar with Vontage then it works kind of the same way. This new technology uses your internet connection to talk on the phone (hence voice over IP). Most companies getting into this offer call waiting, caller id, call forwarding, and unlimited long distance for one flat rate. This also includes you high speed connection. The latest company that I have heard that is doing it is Verizon. (They take forever doing things though)

THis technology requires high speed access (cable or dsl, no satallite at this time), a router and the VoIP box.

Sounds cool to me if it is secure it would be something that I would go for. How about you all?

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
Is anyone familiar with this? Voice Over IP (VoIP) If you are familiar with Vontage then it works kind of the same way. This new technology uses your internet connection to talk on the phone (hence voice over IP). Most companies getting into this offer call waiting, caller id, call forwarding, and unlimited long distance for one flat rate. This also includes you high speed connection. The latest company that I have heard that is doing it is Verizon. (They take forever doing things though)

THis technology requires high speed access (cable or dsl, no satallite at this time), a router and the VoIP box.

Sounds cool to me if it is secure it would be something that I would go for. How about you all?
Yes, I'm a little familiar with it. I looked into it a bit and you're right you need high speed internet service. I'm not sure about the security issues, but there were a couple of problems - first off you need to change phone numbers...hard to do with children in the house, with so many contact people. Second, if you lose power you lose phone service. Also I can't remember exactly what, but there was a slight problem with overseas stuff as I recall. On the pro side it's cheaper, and most people have cell phones if you ever lose power. Also eventually you may be able to keep your current number. BTW did you know that if you have MSN you can hook-up a headphone (or any microphone) and talk to anyone over the internet even overseas? It's very cool!:cool: I use it and it's clear as a bell from the US to Europe!

OP
BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You can do voice over AOL and Yahoo too....don't know about over sea's. I think the phone number thing is corrected, because what I read about with verizon is that you can pick a phone number. You did point out some good points about the negative side. Most that is being worked on and of course I don't make any calls over seas so that would not bother me. As for power...I have a cell phone like you mentioned. (just hope the battery is charged) Not much is ever mentioned about security though.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
You can do voice over AOL and Yahoo too....don't know about over sea's. I think the phone number thing is corrected, because what I read about with verizon is that you can pick a phone number. You did point out some good points about the negative side. Most that is being worked on and of course I don't make any calls over seas so that would not bother me. As for power...I have a cell phone like you mentioned. (just hope the battery is charged) Not much is ever mentioned about security though.
That's good about the phone numbers, and you are right make sure the cell's charged lol mine usually never is. One more thing I remember a friend telling me they experienced some dropped calls (while in the middle of a conversation), but that was about a year ago so maybe that's ironed out too. Security... that's a tough one...I guess...don't say anything covert, or about your neighbors :uhyeah: until you know for sure. :) When our kids were babies one time we heard our neighbors fighting over the baby monitor :uhohh: puts you on your best behavior :) .

T

tmanifold

You can talk over MSN. Hell you can video conference.

The idea of having a phone number is good but you can talk for free (high speed internet costs excluded) through msn.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do voice chat over dial up connection on Yahoo and MSN and stuff.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tmanifold said:
You can talk over MSN. Hell you can video conference.

The idea of having a phone number is good but you can talk for free (high speed internet costs excluded) through msn.
I haven't tried the video conferencing yet, but an not so sure I always want to be seen on bad hair days...hee hee :) not a big deal for most guys though. Anyway I think you need a phone, because you can't walk around with your computer on your hip to chat...or do they make wireless headsets? Hmmmm....

Latest Discussions