Vladimir ground work

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are some very interesting principles being put into play there.
icon6.gif

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like trying to wrestle jello...yet I also feel that if I were driving that knife at him, full-power and with intention, that I wonder how some of those techniques would work. (Certainly I have no magic solutions for such a situation.) So, intriguing, but...

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't mean to bring this up again since we did it on another thread, but am i the only one skeptical of vladimir's stuff?

jf

erich

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
your skepticism is healthy. it has to be felt to be believed. but when watching this type of thing keep in mind that he is not showing live aggressive attack met by indoctrinated technique. Instead this is a form of constrained play to introduce the body to possibilities of movement and ways of addressing a situation...

and that is a mouthful.

another way of thinking of what you see here...
what would you do if were under knife attack and found yourself on the ground? Is that covered by your curriculum? It is good to play/practice at these different scenarios.

Last edited:

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
i don't mean to bring this up again since we did it on another thread, but am i the only one skeptical of vladimir's stuff?

jf

No your not. I went to a seminar with Vlad and I'm still not convinced, but Vlad is a pretty approachable guy and willing answers everyone's questions.

His material really reminded me of what I learned in a R.O.S.S. study group.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think a ground fight will have someone posture up like that with the knife. For example, a crazy crackhead won't waste time posturing up (if he had any controlling top position). But would maintain that position, and stab furiously at the body... But that's just me daydreaming.

I do like the concept of rolling on the flat part of the blade... I do question the percentage of that happening.

Lots of questions.

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I highly doubt that demo was intended to be a realistic application of knife fighting on the ground. If anything it was probably a flow drill that Vlad was demonstrating.

Latest Discussions