Reaction score
How do you feel about video training?

Bad?
Not the best, but works in a pinch?
Great!?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a great quote from Doc in another thread on this same subject. Something to the effect of "You can't become a great football player by watching videos." I'm sure it's not an accurate quote, but you get the jist.

D.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me, I prefer a live instructor. Video doesn't hack it for me at all, unless I already know the stuff and use it as a reference only.

- Ceicei

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's ok IF you already have a good amount of training (basics). It definitely isn't as good as an instructor, but I think it works in a pinch. Since I'm between dojangs, I am using videos to keep up on training, but I've also had 4 years of training before attempting this (other than to steel stuff from other arts hehehehehe :D ). I wouldn't advise it for beginners, though. Too risky of picking up bad habbits and the risk of injuring yourself with bad technique. As a biginner, you need an instructor to show you how to kick, punch, ect properly.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Live instructor is prefered.
A well done video is a useful reference tool, but to really learn it, you need personal guidence of those who already know. Only a qualified instructor can help you pinpoint and fine tune things.

IMHO.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried using videos for forms and its okay for general movements to remember them but not to learn originally . Sometimes it conflicts with what our master has taught. There is no way to see all the details, details are not explained, and then there is the lack of details in tapes too.

I also like to see all the self defense moves in videos that we don't do but can't practice anyway in our school unless approved by the master. So for my experience, videos are not all that great.

W

white eagle

I agree with the posters that say the use of video for reference is good

but to start from video to begin with just don't cut it in my eyes

a living breathing instructor that is in your training and partners to train with is

most important when really trying to grasp a tech or form

D......

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have most of Mr. Tatum's videos.

There's no way I could learn from scratch from those tapes. They seem geared towards people who've already had exposure to the techniques. They're wonderful tools for jogging my memory when I've forgotten something, though.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nightingale said:
How do you feel about video training?

Bad?
Not the best, but works in a pinch?
Great!?

Good as a suppliment/companion to reality training.

Skill and form can be developed fine, and maybe even better than live sometimes, from video. How many times I have been frustrated because someone teaches you x and you do it as you were shown, then someone else says it is wrong and shows it to you as xx(slightly different, but no big deal because you can barely tell the differance anyway...). With a video/dvd, you get consistent technical modeling and pace control as well. No one is getting frustrated because you aren't going as fast as they think you should be....

Exclusively though, it doesn't give you hands on (literally) experience to play with timing and such.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm totally in agreement that hands-on training is best. To have your instructor watch your moves, and adjust your body alignment just so is so necessary~!
I've watched Mr. Tatum's tapes and the differences in the way he teaches a form maybe subtle in some areas but blatantly different from the way I was taught so that in essence doesn't help me learn.
Now when Professor Conatser sends me a video clip he's made, when I'm having issues with something, I can review it and understand that it's a tool and reference material not to take the place of Face-to-face training.

~Tess

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I sometimes use videos to learn new techniques! I sometimes watch Martial Arts films and play them in slow motion to try and copy some of the techniques used! I have managed a couple so far!

G

Gary Crawford

Video training is a good accessory when combined with real training.I finally utalized it as an instruction tool.Since I started teaching my Counter Terrorism program,I have video taped all of the seminars I have done so I could see my own mistakes.This has made me a better instructor.I got an idea before the last seminar and it worked very well.I covered the material alot faster than I have in the past and offered everyone there an opportunity to purchase a copy.The end result was that I covered more material than I usually do and the students got alot more opportunity to work the techniques on their own.In the past,I would usually get dozens of phone calls from the students to re-explain things,this time I only got one.

X

xianshino

I took 2 years of Shaolin Kung-Fu at a school and now I am teaching myself Shuai-Chaio through videos and there is no way I would be able to learn from these videos had I not had live training first and at some point I will need to spar with someone to test what I have learned in the videos...

Latest Discussions