Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]vUR8TZw0J3g#[/yt]

About This Video Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan International Championships, 2007, Warwick, RI.

Sa Bom Nim Michael Tabone performs a demonstration version of the Haidong Gumdo for Ship Ssang Soo Gum Bup in the Kodanja Weapons division.

Sa Bom Nim Micheal Tabone is currently a 4th dan. He is a member of the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan Association

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

This is me in this video. I am humbled that I am placed here for all to see. Please feel free to comment, and if you have trouble with the link, simply go to youtube.com and type in Mi Guk Kwan in the search you will see the sword form a little down the list. I tried to see it though martialtalk but it said that video was no longer available which it is on youtube.

Thanks!
Haidong!

Michael Tabone

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, looks like the poster disabled embedding.
Here's the link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vUR8TZw0J3g#

Michael, could you tell us a bit about the form? I have to admit to not being very familiar with the Korean sword arts, but it looked cool. :)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks GREAT! Your Cho chun seh and Sodo Sehs look very good....those are my biggest problems. Is this Ssang Soo Gum Bup Ship Bon? I'm currently working on Ssang Soo Gum Bup Oh Bon, so I'm no where near learning this one.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks GREAT! Your Cho chun seh and Sodo Sehs look very good....those are my biggest problems. Is this Ssang Soo Gum Bup Ship Bon? I'm currently working on Ssang Soo Gum Bup Oh Bon, so I'm no where near learning this one.

It is Shimsang Gum Bup, and it is taught after the 12 Ssang soo Gum Bups. It's what I'm currently learning. Fun, but hard.

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello MBuzzy!

As cdunn has said it is Shimsang Gumbup (Sence of the Mind/Heart of Swordsmanship). I love this form. I am currently a Cho Dan (first degree bb) in Haidong Gumdo in Connecticut, USA.

I am on the Yedo Hyungs right now, and I love them…especially Yedo 9.

Good to know there are more Haidong Gumdo practitioners on martialtalk!

HAIDONG!

Mike Tabone

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, I have a while until those! I'm looking forward to learning them.

How do you feel that your gumdo training has integrated with your Tang Soo Do training? The Mi Guk Kwan obviously openly allows the practice of it, how do you feel it has helped or hurt you?

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
MBuzzy wrote:

“Wow, I have a while until those! I'm looking forward to learning them.

How do you feel that your gumdo training has integrated with your Tang Soo Do training? The Mi Guk Kwan obviously openly allows the practice of it, how do you feel it has helped or hurt you?”

I have been doing Tang Soo Do for 15 years, Dekiti Siradas Kali for 11, and HDGD for about 2 + years. I believe all systems have made me better at the other. My passion is for the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan, as that is my “wife” and Haidong Gumdo is my “mistress”.

I believe that since I have a strong grounding in Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan, I am able to learn and apply my HDGD training easier, and that I am able to “switch” between the two arts easily. By “switch” I am talking about stances, power generation, and emphasis. The “front” stance of HDGD (tae-toe-se) and TSD (chung gul jase) are different, same with all stances that look alike at first but are much different, as they are meant for different things.

I believe my Haidong Gumdo training has helped my TSD training on a mental level. While I always train physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, having a tool outside your body that needs your complete control further helps to guide them.

I have grown at lot as a HDGD practitioner since this video is taken. If I get the chance maybe I will try to get some tape of me and post it on there now doing a couple of Yedos or something.

I told my instructor, Kwan Jang Nim Charles Ferraro, that had I been able to practice a sword art when I signed up for karate all those years ago I would be a sword man, not a karate man. But now it seems I am both.

HAIDONG! / TANG SOO!

Michael Tabone

Latest Discussions