• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
Brother John,

Did Kenny Gonzalez achieve any kind of promotion or rank while he was involved with the A.K.K.I.?
Hey Mr. Lear-
No.
It's my understanding that he was "recognized" as a Kenpo Black Belt, I think from the WKKA, he was shown a good deal of attention and generousity from Mr. Mills and the seniors in the association, and then he left abruptly. I don't know all of the details... I'm no "High-up Mucky-Muck" in the AKKI...just one enthusiastic member in the throng. But from my sources, the way things went down..... just wasn't right. It's a shame really. He'd been "Recognized" like I said, but hadn't tested for an AKKI rank. He left well before some of the finer changes and innovations were put in place and disseminated to the rest of the association. Lots of good things have been going on, but he missed out because he didn't stick around. The changes and innovations are still being put in place, to great effect. He's missing them too now.
His loss. :rolleyes:

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Further up the thread "Snake Pliskin" cut and pasted on this subject from www.KenpoNet.Com
I'll do the same, as Mr. Kelley had given a follow up/clarification that is relevant to the one already given.
Mr. Kelley gave it the heading of
NO rank in Kenpo

I have to say that Kenny Assumed the Rank since he was allowed to join the WKKA. Like even Grandmaster Parker's organization the IKKA they would have a certificate that recognized a persons rank from their particular backround. This reminds me of another person who in Kentucky told a Kenpo senior he lost all his previous certificates and was getting ready to open a school and needed a certificate of rank to prove to the Landlord he was legitimate to teach Karate. So in feeling sorry for the guy a diploma was made up for him and it was signed by the Kenpo senior giving the illusion it was a Kenpo Black Belt dipoma.
Trust me this did not go over to well by my students who witnessed this as well as knew the guy recieving the rank was no more than a ornage belt level person.
This topic was discussed with Mr. Gonzalez from the very beginning since him and I had words about throwing out names at the wrong point and time. He knows and should clearly remember the conversation I had with him about the diploma he recieved from the WKKA was no more than a certificate of acceptance in the WKKA and that was probably over 10 years now.
As far as a 4th degree in one style and a 5th degree in a other style, this is clear to me that he has not studied any art for any length of time and concludes his ranking based on how many styles he joins into.
Some of us who do study other systems know the time and hard work one must go through into achieving status. I for one have worked with Joe Lewis and have known him for now for 21 years, and he knows me as well. To obtain Rank with Joe Lewis you must put the gloves on and he wants to see your ability first hand with him and just you mixing it up. If Joe likes you he'll tell you so, if he doesn't he will tell you that too. But anybody under the Joe Lewis System can bang with the best of them.
I remember when Joe Promoted me to a 5th Degree in his system and was presenting me the certificate, we were in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. David Stanley was with me and said to Joe how do I get one of these? He said first you must train under one of my guys and second put the gloves on with me and we will see your ability. Dave Stanley said...now that's a tough test.
I don't wish anyone to have a hard time, but to get rank you must earn it. Not by conning someone or the typical back of a magzine cut out coupon.
Do it Right....Sean Kelley

For your consideration.
Your Brother
John

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Hey Mr. Lear-
No.
It's my understanding that he was "recognized" as a Kenpo Black Belt, I think from the WKKA, he was shown a good deal of attention and generousity from Mr. Mills and the seniors in the association, and then he left abruptly. I don't know all of the details... I'm no "High-up Mucky-Muck" in the AKKI...just one enthusiastic member in the throng. But from my sources, the way things went down..... just wasn't right. It's a shame really. He'd been "Recognized" like I said, but hadn't tested for an AKKI rank. He left well before some of the finer changes and innovations were put in place and disseminated to the rest of the association. Lots of good things have been going on, but he missed out because he didn't stick around. The changes and innovations are still being put in place, to great effect. He's missing them too now.
His loss. :rolleyes:

Your Brother
John

It's my understanding that Mr. Kenny Gonzalez is under Mr. Ron Boswell. Did Mr. Boswell award him the rank that he is wearing now?

I haven't seen anything documenting Mr. Gonzalez as recieving a 5th Degree Black Belt in the A.K.K.I., so where's the beef? (I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.)

It never feels right when someone leaves an association, organization, or affiliation of any kind. I remember the aftermath of Mr. Mills' departure from the I.K.K.A., which had a significant impact on me to say the least (even though I didn't know him personally). Actually, it broke the hearts of quite a few people.

Mr. Gonzalez has titled his system Kali-Kenpo. So I operate under the impression that it's a combination of Kali and Kenpo. I can appreciate his honesty. He's not changing it and calling it Ed Parker's American Kenpo. He's just doing his own thing. At least that's my impression.

:asian:

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
It's my understanding that Mr. Kenny Gonzalez is under Mr. Ron Boswell. Did Mr. Boswell award him the rank that he is wearing now?

I haven't seen anything documenting Mr. Gonzalez as recieving a 5th Degree Black Belt in the A.K.K.I., so where's the beef? (I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.)

It never feels right when someone leaves an association, organization, or affiliation of any kind. I remember the aftermath of Mr. Mills' departure from the I.K.K.A., which had a significant impact on me to say the least (even though I didn't know him personally). Actually, it broke the hearts of quite a few people.

Mr. Gonzalez has titled his system Kali-Kenpo. So I operate under the impression that it's a combination of Kali and Kenpo. I can appreciate his honesty. He's not changing it and calling it Ed Parker's American Kenpo. He's just doing his own thing. At least that's my impression.

:asian:

I wasnt going to comment anymore on this subject but I felt I needed to add some additional information. Im sure you will understand as your group recently went through something similar with Bob Jones.

Personally I have no beef with Mr. Gonzales and certainly he has the right to leave his instructor and do his own thing. I too have had to make this decision in the past myself. Even Mr. Parker did this himself so it would be wrong for anyone to judge another for leaving their instructor and doing their own thing.

First I do know that Mr. Gonzales never was promoted to Black Belt by Mr. Mills. I would know this because I have sat on every testing board for the last ten years. When Ron Boswell left the association, Mr. Gonzales also considered to leave himself. Before doing so however, he approached Mr. Mills and asked to be promoted; to 3rd black I believe. If he were promoted he would not leave the AKKI.

Ive always known that when it comes to promotion prodical, out of respect one should NEVER ask/ demand to be promoted.

So as a result since Mr. Gonzales was not promoted, he decide to leave the association and go with Ron Boswell. Mr. Gonzales is now a 5th black belt and designing his own system.

This is my understanding.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Thread Locked pending review by Operations Admin & Staff.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
This thread will remain closed and if the topic is brought up again the members will be dealt with.

Here are the facts as I see them:
1.) People are posting Sean Kelly's posts from another board.
2.)If Sean Kelly has something to say, he has a membership here, he can come here and say it.
3.) If he needs help logging in, that is why we have a Technical Administrator.
4.) Kenny Gonzales has made his statement about his rank, if you question it, get on the phone to him or the people he mentioned.
5.) Discussion over.
Seig
MT Ops Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions