Verbal de-escalation help

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any web sites, books, videos etc that deal with this topic from a self defense point of view.

i have seen a few articles which cover it quite loosely ie in the office, troublesome teens etc

what i would like is something much more SD specific

any help greatly appreciated

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
Does anyone know of any web sites, books, videos etc that deal with this topic from a self defense point of view.

i have seen a few articles which cover it quite loosely ie in the office, troublesome teens etc

what i would like is something much more SD specific

any help greatly appreciated

You may want to check out material by Geoff Thompson and Peyton Quinn.

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Geoff Thompson is a good resource on many things! Look also for books on Verbal Judo (e.g., search Amazon for "Verbal Judo").

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Check out "the Way of Aikido" by Mr.Leonard. I can't remember his first name right now. The entire book deals with things like this.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This should be the first things taught in class. Most schools don't even go there.

One of the best books is as mention early...Verbal Judo and is taught in alot of Police Departments around the USA. Even in Kona, Hawaii. My neighbor is a police officer and did train with us and mention this book.

Also read Tongue Fu....plus this books lists more reading matters on this subject.

Learn this well.....too many people die each year (about 29,000) because of of their EGO's and Pride.... After is too, too, late - Prevention is better than cure.

Simile and say I'm sorry...and move on.....Aloha

Reactions: MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, This should be the first things taught in class. Most schools don't even go there.

Very true!! I agree that this is something that is hardly ever taught. You'll find though, that many of the RBSD guys out there cover this, as well as many other topics that are not addressed in the average MA class.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I just started working part-time Security (contract company) for Wal-mart parking. Our main job is to be visible,prevents thiefs from breaking into cars, and to keep cars from parking in the RED zone in front of the store.

Security Guards in Hawaii can only be verbal to people. By law we cannot touch you, arrest you, stop you from leaving, or making any kind of physcial contact. Only Police Officers can physcial stop someone. If a fights breaks out, we are suppose to call 911 and verbal talk those people into breaking up and be a witness.

Security work is not hard physical labor....but hard work when dealing with people who do not want to move there cars from the front of the store.

Talk about one way verabal communcations? We have to be nice and ask nicely to move your cars....but people will communicate angerly,swear at you, and be crockly.......most of them give you that dirty look and want to escalate the situtions.

This is one place to remember " Verbal Judo and Tongue Fu" technique's

It ain't worth getting arrested or injury or even KILL for.......Wal-mart customers can be mean and bad...................it's rare to find someone who is nice back when you ask them to move there cars......

Where's the Aloha spirit in Hawaii? ................Please move your car? *&&%%$%^&**(&&$^%$^%$......Thank-you.........

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
still learning said:

This is so true. Of course most schools don't teach or instruct in self-defense even though they say they do. Most teach fighting, or dueling, not self-defense. Big difference.

Danny

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Danny T said:
This is so true. Of course most schools don't teach or instruct in self-defense even though they say they do. Most teach fighting, or dueling, not self-defense. Big difference.

Danny

So true, I teach aikido in aikido class and self defense in my SD courses/classes

SD classes always start with situational awarness/profiles/ de-escalating, all way before we start talking about physical defence of any kind

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see why this is such a neglected topic. I mean, not every situation we're going to find ourselves in is going to require us to break an arm or leg, or take an eye.

If we can defuse the situation by using verbal skills, that IMO, is the best route to take.

Mike

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Personally, I don't see why this is such a neglected topic. I mean, not every situation we're going to find ourselves in is going to require us to break an arm or leg, or take an eye.

If we can defuse the situation by using verbal skills, that IMO, is the best route to take.

Mike

Your right, it shouldnt be a neglected topic, but it often is, if you go into the average SD class, you wont hear anything about the power of the voice a/ in talking the person down or b/ in stopping them in their tracks (loud and assertive voice). What you may see is someone teaching spinning punches and kicks etc.

Just done a search on google and there doesnt seem to be much written about verbal de-escalation specifically in a self defence situation

things like verbal judo and ither bits though good are not as specific as they could be

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
Your right, it shouldnt be a neglected topic, but it often is, if you go into the average SD class, you wont hear anything about the power of the voice a/ in talking the person down or b/ in stopping them in their tracks (loud and assertive voice). What you may see is someone teaching spinning punches and kicks etc.

Just done a search on google and there doesnt seem to be much written about verbal de-escalation specifically in a self defence situation

things like verbal judo and ither bits though good are not as specific as they could be

This is probably due to many reasons. The instructor has no background in teaching this, or possibly because they feel that its not an important subject or maybe that the students will not be interested.

Mike